Could I get some opinions on these tablets?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by RizaCifra, Jul 26, 2006.

1. RizaCifra

RizaCifra Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi.

I know I've been asking this "What tablet should I get?" question for awhile, but I just want to make sure I pick out the right tablet since I'll be sticking with it for years to come.

Could I get some opinions on the T4210, M7, R20, and the M400? I noticed that people have received their M7s and R20s, so I just wanted to know what people think based on their experiences so far. If it helps any, the tablet I plan to buy will be used mostly for art and animation purposes, but I'll also be using it for some gaming, internet, and taking notes during my classes and at convention panels. I will be taking it on the road with me a lot, so I'd prefer that the tablet be able to act as my main computer. Wait and money are not so much of issues compared to the performance of the computer and how well it meets my needs.

I'm getting sort of tired of waiting for the R1F (especially since the release dates and specs still haven't been confirmed), and waiting for a better tablet seems pointless since there will always be newer and better ones being released.

2. daver

daver Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

i cannot say much now, but after this weekend i will be able to have a word or two about the Toshiba M400. I am going to visit my older brother down in the 'States this weekend and he has recently acquired a M400. i believe he has the 2.0 dual core model, probably 1GB RAM too. i'll be sure to share the specs so you have a rough idea what it is like.

unless of course someone else beats me to the punch

3. Fido

Fido Scribbler - Standard Member

I was considering the R20/25 & M7 model, but I decided it was too big. What I did was make a newspaper cutout of the dimensions, you should try it too to give you an impression of the size. They are 10.2x13.7 inches. It's personal preference if you want something that size. Otherwise, the R25 is the best deal I've seen anywhere in terms of price, and you will benifit from the widescreen if you are doing multimedia stuff. The M7 is one of the few tablets with a dedicated graphics card, although you will need to customize it and increase the cost by a bit. Many users have reported that it's practically indestructable so that would be a plus if you take it on the road alot.

All of the tablets you mentioned are good. The main difference is that the M7 and R25 are 14" widescreen, and the others 12" ultraportables. Also, the toshiba models require a bit more work for adding RAM. Check the toshiba subforum here for more details about that.

4. Jesse

Jesse Pen Pal - Newbie

I know that a lot of people will be unable to answer this question since I'm assuming that most people have not used both the M7 and M400, but when people say that the M7 is "indestructable", how much more securly built is the M7 over the M400? I have the M400 and am just trying to gain a bit of perspective about build quality between the two. From the pictures, they basically look the same, asides from size and widescreen, but I'm wondering if there is a difference in build quality.

I've always been a bit concerned with build quality with regard to the screen's security to the base of the Tablet.

5. atlreguy

atlreguy Pen Pal - Newbie

I have been using an M4 for the past few months. I upgraded from one of the ultra lite sony vaios. I thought I would need the 14" screen but I have discovered that I would rather give up screen for portability. I am going to be playing with a new M400 and one of the Fujitstu slates in the next few weeks to see what is going to make more sense. To date the Toshiba has been great. Plus we have one of the best service centers in the country right here in Atlanta.

6. Fido

Fido Scribbler - Standard Member

Small is sexy! I'm looking pretty closely at the HP TC4400 now, it looks really good, except, no optical drive :(.

7. RizaCifra

RizaCifra Pen Pal - Newbie

Thanks for the responses! :)