Correct RAM for X230t?

Discussion in 'Lenovo (IBM)' started by stoneseeker, Jul 24, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. stoneseeker

stoneseeker Animator and Art Director Senior Member

Hey guys, I just wanna verify before I go and order RAM for my friend's freshly bought X230t that I am getting the right stuff. I can't find official RAM specs anywhere.

-voltage? 1.35 or 1.5?
    -latency? 7? 9? 11?
    -I'm pretty sure its DDR3 like the T902, but sometimes I see DDRL... Is that different/incompatible?
    -PC3L12800 right?
    -1600 is the speed of choice still?
    considering: http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231580

Does any of this matter?

Also, the SSD is just a regular SSD right? It doesn't require one of those weird mSATA or odd sized ones does it? (I haven't actually gotten the computer in my hands yet, otherwise I would open it up and check, but I wanna order the stuff soon)
    I'm thinking of getting this one: http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820147372
    all good?

thanks!

2. stoneseeker

@T-ravisty : Are you able to help out bro? Any specs sheets that include RAM details such as timing and voltage? What sticks did you order?

3. T-ravisty

T-ravisty Scribbler - Standard Member

Hey mate,

This is what I have installed in my x230t: Corsair 16GB (2 x 8GB) PC3-12800 1600MHz DDR3 SODIMM RAM - 10-10-10-27 - Vengeance Series (CMSX16GX3M2A1600C10).
    The G.Skill will do you fine however the Corsair has a slightly faster latency. Not really noticeable, but handy for multitasking.
    Yes, PC312800, 1600Mhz is still the go.

As per DDR3 versus DDR3L, L = Low voltage.
    DDR3L is a dual voltage RAM able to operate at 1.35V and 1.5V which can mean better battery life due to less heat with not a lot of difference in performance in comparison to DDR3 single voltage RAM (1.5V).
    The difference in power draw is so minimal that it really doesn't make that much of a difference.
    DDR3L is compatible with the x230t.

Yep, any 2.5" drive will do you fine. You also have the option of having an mSata as-well (or WWAN, not both) alongside the 2.5" HDD/SSD.
    The mSata I have installed is: PX-256M5M

stoneseeker likes this.
  4. stoneseeker

Thanks a bunch! That was just what I needed.

T-ravisty likes this.
  5. T-ravisty

Glad to help.
    Let me know how your mate goes with his x230t and if he has any more questions don't hesitate.
    I found some of the pre-installed Lenovo software a bit confusing and annoying when I first got mine, if he needs a hand to tweak all of the settings let me know.

What's he using it for?

6. stoneseeker

Well he's a she, and she works with me at the studio, mostly using it for after effects, video editing, a bit of animation and Flash asset rendering while away from the studio and home. Only some of the Flash files and After Effects will be that demanding, but we are ordering 16 gigs RAM and a 256g SSD to make it bullet proof for her.

I'll let her know. I might get her to join this conversation and sign up so that when I leave she'll have you guys as a resource, but she doesn't know any technical terms at all, so you would need to keep that in mind if offering help. Basic tech terms would need to be explained in laymen's.

The X230t is really nice to hold in hand. The matte black finish is boss!

T-ravisty likes this.
  7. T-ravisty

It'll handle all of the above just fine, depending on what she's doing in AE there might be some slowdowns, but overall it'll crunch though it easy.

Ah, no problem. I'm used to layman's terms when fixing my family's computers.

The matte finish is nice.
    Tell her to be careful with the little plastic latch bits on the sides of the keyboard, they snap easy.
    Maybe even look at getting an ExpressCard of some variety, I recently got a 3x USB 3.0 ExpressCard for mine - I had trouble getting one to work previously.
    Also look at changing the keyboard location of 'Fn' and 'Ctrl' as many people find it difficult to get used to. You can just change the setting in the BIOS.

8. stoneseeker

Ok, need help. And yeah, one of the plastic latches arrived busted. Are they important for much?

So it appears impossible to find the correct drivers for windows 8.1 on this thing. I searched and searched, and it's as if this thing doesn't exist to Lenovo. Links I found in the Lenovo forums are just dead now, as if they moved or removed them.

So here's the issue. It's a clean install of generic windows 8.1.
    -There are no preloaded Lenovo software, and finding lenovo software is the hard part. So I went and installed there lenovo updater and installed all the reccomended drivers, which weren't many. And it still appears as if a BUNCH of stuff is missing.
    -For one, auto rotate is not even a feature supported. The accelerometer is not recognized by windows at the moment so all the rotate screen tablet-y options are missing. It's missing the key hard drive and tablet drivers that windows needs to communicate with the laptop that its special, but I dont know where to find those. No Lenovo-specific Wacom driver either so I went and downloaded the most recent wacom feel driver. It works, but still windows acts like I'm on a desktop. I checked programs (86) in the C: drive and there is a suspicious lack of any Lenovo software that other forums members spoke of.

So where do I find the generic windows 8.1 and (of I'm desperate) the windows 7 drivers for this thing? I can find the page for X230, but not the X230 tablet, and there is obviously a big difference there.

Thanks for any help. If you happen to have the up to date drivers perhaps you could dropbox them to me? Although they shoudl be available online somewhere right?? Do I have to order a special Lenovo windows install or something??

**EDIT**

Ok, after hours of research and hounding the forums of Lenovo and here, I discovered I was certainly not the first to have driver issues with this thing. Not just on Windows 8 either, but apparently all kinds of issues with windows 7 too. Anyway, here is the link to the most relevant conversation I found: http://forum.tabletpcreview.com/thr...230t-how-to-get-it-to-work.60217/#post-363081

Except his solution is not an option for me, (not the branded custom copy of Windows on this unit) but I eventually hunted down the page for the x230 tablet drivers and just went and downloaded anything that I thought might help. Eventually I got everything working for the most part, though I think I am still missing a few drivers since I cant find airbag or tablet control utility. But I got auto rotate working, (through the most arduous and ridiculous method ever) and windows still doesn't recognize the accellerometer, since auto rotate is still not an option in windows. I have to manually start a weird driver application by Lenovo and mess with the settings in that and calibrate the acellerometer and it now works as it should. From what I read I'm not alone in this though.

What a mess. Anyway, I'll have to do all this over again when she gets the SSD, but I wonder if I would be ok just mirroring the OS install from the HDD onto the SSD? It's freshly installed, it shouldn't be an issue right?

Last edited: Jul 28, 2015
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.