Corel Painter Issues with Surface Pro 7 Pen Pressure Sensitivity and Tilt

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by Siavash Mortazavi, Dec 6, 2019.

1. Siavash Mortazavi

Siavash Mortazavi Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi,

I have Surface Pro 7 and all the drivers are up-to-date (Reinstalled them from here to make sure: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=100419)

Surface Pen pressure sensitivity does not work on Corel Painter 2018/19/20, and here are some observations:

1. Pressure sensitivity works well all other Microsoft and non-Microsoft apps, including Corel Photo-paint!

2. Setting Painter "Tablet Options" to "Wacom-compatible Device (Wintab)" results in neither pressure sensitivity, nor pen tilt detection.

3. Setting Painter "Tablet Options" to "RTS-compatible device..." results in weird broken lines with no pressure or tilt detection.

4. I Have installed wacom latest driver (honestly doesn't make sense to me, but was recommended on some other forums), and still it's not working...

5. Painter works fine with my Wacom tablet, and also I have seen videos on Youtube that shows Painter is fine on Surface Pro 6, so what the heck is this problem?! A fellow on PainterFactory forum has replied with "Painter's troubles with Tablets & pen is abysmal" and I'm afraid that's true.

I have tried all the obvious solutions, and none worked, and Corel tech support is not helpful at all! If you have any remedy, it'll be hugely appreciated.

Thanks,
    Sia

2. tampopo

tampopo Pen Pal - Newbie

I have exactly same issues with Surface Slim Pen and Surface Pro 7 on Corel Painter series. I thought that's the new Slim Pen's problem in the beginning and decide to exchange it to standard surface pen until I saw your post.
    So it could be the New surface pro 7 or Corel painter's problem. I hope it'll get update driver or software soon.

3. Siavash Mortazavi

Siavash Mortazavi Pen Pal - Newbie

I've posted this issue to a few forums and websites, and also submitted the issue to Corel tech support.
    Initially, Corel team sent a series of useless replies with the recommendations that we all know already: reset Corel Painter, update the drivers, blah blah. Then, finally this came from them:

"Thank you for contacting Corel Technical Support. My name is Austin and I have been assigned to your ticket.
    After reviewing the facts before me, it has been found that the problem being reported is already known to us and has been reported to our Engineering department for review and action. This case will be elevated to the Engineering team to have action against it.
    Any replies or further communications, will come from me, once the Engineering team has provided a solution."

So, this is a known bug to Corel's tech team, and they're working on it. At lease we know it's not about our setup and config.
    I think Surface Pro 7 is doing pressure sensitivity different from prev. versions, and Corel needs to release a patch to adapt it.

4. tampopo

tampopo Pen Pal - Newbie

Thank you for the update, it's good to know that Corel is working on it. Hope we can have a new and working patch soon.