Core M branding makes me angry.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Shogmaster, Sep 7, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tim Q

Tim Q Pen Pal - Newbie

I've just had some hands-on experience with my brother's new Yoga 3 Pro with the Core M 5Y70 - honestly, I don't think it performs all too great, at least in my use case.

At first I thought it was fine, but it struggled with 1080p playback on both YouTube and videos on the drive - stuttering a bit, not to mention the audio kept crackling (it didn't for mp3 playback).
    There was some noticeable stutter on scrolling in some applications as well. This was all in performance mode, plugged into the wall.

It just doesn't seem like it could multitask well, this chip - maybe Core M is just a step too far for low voltage processors in a laptop.

2. ptrkhh

ptrkhh Scribbler - Standard Member

Well, I saw some review on the internet about the Y3P, and most of them say the similar thing.

Ultrabook Review http://www.ultrabookreview.com/5486-lenovo-yoga-3-pro-review/ says that it throttles too fast, and hence, hinders the performance even at normal usage. The graphics clock throttles down to just 270 (TWO-HUNDRED-SEVENTY!!!) MHz, heck, slower than HD3000. Windows Central (WPcentral) http://www.windowscentral.com/skip-lenovo-yoga-3-pro-and-go-surface-pro-3-instead even says that you should get the Surface Pro 3 instead, insisting that the Y3P feels like an Atom PC, and is not worth its price.

Im definitely getting the Surface Pro 3

3. ptrkhh

One more thing, http://www.ultrabookreview.com/5638-impressions-asus-t300fa/ (Core M 5Y10, the slower version than the one in the Y3P)

"In fact, I feel this computer is, in terms of performance, closer to a CloverTrail device than a Haswell computer."
    Damn! Clover Trail! We can infer that its not even on par with Bay Trail!!!

4. ptrkhh

I think MS tried the prototype Core M a few months ago and said "F**k it, Id rather release the SP3 with Haswell."

5. bloodycape

bloodycape confused Senior Member

Actually, the most powerfulest tablet pc is the Fuji T734, which is using haswell.

stoneseeker likes this.
  6. greenblob

greenblob Pen Pal - Newbie

I just checked it out. Very cool, and surprisingly affordable. If only they gave it a 1080p display (or 1680x1050 at least).

7. Tim Q

Tim Q Pen Pal - Newbie

Small update on the Core M performance in the Y3P I used earlier - somehow, after the machine ran a few updates, performance was noticeably better all around.

Odd.