Core i5 ULV upgrade

Discussion in 'EP121 Slate' started by liquidvx, Feb 25, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. liquidvx

liquidvx Pen Pal - Newbie

Hello everyone,
    I have been waiting years for a pressure sensitive tablet and Asus has finally delivered it. I will not be using this unplugged for very long and plan to make the EP121 my primary computer. Because of this I would like to upgrade the CPU but do not know if the BIOS will support it or even what socket the EP121 has. I assume it is BGA1288 or the PGA988.

Does anyone have info on this? Will the EP121 accept only ULV processors? It would be bad-ass to drop a Core i7-640M into this thing. I don't mind 1hr battery life.

2. rsmacmini

rsmacmini Pen Pal - Newbie

It looks like you can change out the processor but i don't know if it will work or not.

3. Akytarus

Akytarus Certified Tech Junkie

Are you sure the CPU is not soldered permanently to the main board?

4. kolaf

kolaf Pen Pal - Newbie

And please do not forget about the additional cooling requirements for a more power hungry CPU. I'm guessing there's not much room for that inside the slate.

5. triggrhaapi

triggrhaapi Scribbler - Standard Member

If you need more power, the slate is not what you want at all.

6. Krelian

Krelian All about the T5010/T900

Bingo! Kolaf takes the prize!
    The limitation for CPU upgrades in laptops/Tablet PCs isn't if the CPU socket is compatible or even if the motherboard will acknowledge the new CPU it is in fact heat dissipation.

Believe it or not heat dissipation is one of the biggest if not the single biggest engineering concern when building a mobile computer.
    Manufacturers tend not to over-build their heat sinks since it adds both cost and weight for an upgrade they don't support.

The i5-470UM has a max TDP of 18W. I bet the heat sink in the EP121 can do about 21W at most (that's with fans at their loudest).
    The i7-640M has a max TDP of 35W. All things being equal that's twice the heat to manage inside the tiny EP121.

Just using TDP as a guide the only CPUs that could feasibly be put in the EP121 are the i5-560UM and i7-680UM.
    Sandy Bridge Core i CPUs that would theoretically be feasible include the i5-2537M and i7-2657M.
    Compare them here.

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  7. bloodycape

bloodycape confused Senior Member

What about the i5 LM cpu, what is the wattage on that?

8. BenjaminRies

BenjaminRies Scribbler - Standard Member

But the Sandy Bridge CPUs are a different socket, right? I see Arrandale chips listed as BGA1288, while the Sandy Bridge chips fit BGA1023 (smaller). So maybe Asus does a refresh later this year with Sandy Bridge support, and slightly improved battery life?

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  9. Agent 9

Agent 9 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

If anyone wants a different CPU in the EP121, they will have to wait for ASUS to come out with the other versions of it... you simply won't be able to swap out CPU's on it (with the CPU being soldered to the mo-bo and all)

I am very surprised to see that the i5-470UM is performing almost EXACTLY as the SL9400 (which I have in my 2730p) does in benchmarks... Neither of them is terribly powerful, but they are powerful enough for most things. Now, the i5 5xxM's are a whole other story -those are just beastly processors.

10. liquidvx

liquidvx Pen Pal - Newbie

Thanks for all the great replies. I have swapped a few laptop processors but did not know if it could be done with a tablet. I found one photo online of the back cover removed from the EP121 but could not see if the CPU was in a socket.

Agent 9, are you certain the CPU is surface mounted? If not I will try to find a Core i7-680UM and upgrade to that.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.