Core-Duo Acer Tablet?

Discussion in 'Acer (Gateway)' started by Gautam, Jul 12, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jesse

Jesse Pen Pal - Newbie

I find it odd that Acer hasn't yet introduced a Core-Duo Tablet PC. I know that there was an earlier discussion regarding future Acer tablets and I think it was Barry who suggested that they might possibly update some of their current tablet pc series (Travelmate c31x and 20x) to Core-Duo, however I've always been impressed with Acer's speed at bringing quality products to market with some of the latest technology. (Such as their Travelmate 8200 series laptop being one of the first Core-Duo notebooks and also being an amazing quality product.)

Has anyone heard any rumours about future plans for the Acer Tablet PC's?

2. Barry J. Doyle

Barry J. Doyle Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Here comes another "Yoda" prediction... I would be willing to bet you will see Core Duo tablets from Acer by July.

3. Jesse

Jesse Pen Pal - Newbie

I had originally posted this thread in April and I wanted to bring it back to the forefront to see if anyone knew of any updates. I've since bought an M400 Toshiba, but I've always been intrigued by Acer's tablets. (well designed and usually some of the more powerful tablets on the market). It just seems odd that we're in July now and there is absolutely no news (at least made available to the public) about an updated Tablet model. I wonder if they're just planning on skipping the core-duo model altogether and waiting for intel's next chip or are even (and this might be nice) planning on throwing an AMD processor into their next tablet. It just doesn't seem like Acer to be late to the gate in bringing new models of notebooks/tablets to market.

Is anyone aware of any news about upcoming Acer tablets?

4. Gautam

Gautam Moderator

My predition would be a revision of Barry's -

Expect to see Core 2 Duo Tablets from acer by late Aug - early Sept. I think acer is riding past Core "1" Duo procs.

5. P8RSON

P8RSON Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

If they did it would have been a long term financial gamble...

A gamble which would have started many months ago on whether Intel would have got the new core duo 2 out on time would have had many shareholders quaking...

6. Jesse

Jesse Pen Pal - Newbie

I don't know how massive a gamble it would have been. I'm sure that their tablets don't make up the bulk of their aggregate sales and just based on Barry's recent "most popular tablet pc's" list, it seems that there is still quite a bit of interest over their available C31x and C20x series tablets, so maybe they're just hoping to clean out their current inventories and were to introduce their tablet refreshes once the next major technology comes out. I would think that it would be harder for a company like Toshiba to start rolling out the Core-Duo 2 models as soon as they come out because all three of their tablet families (Portege, Tecra and Satellites) have just released refreshes to previous models within this year (some, obviously, have just been introduced). I don't care how fast paced the computer hardware industry is, as a consumer I'd be upset if they started replacing the brand new, top-of-the-line model I had just bought with a new series. I guess it'll be interesting to see how the tablet pc market handles these major jumps in technology. It was years before pentium 4 turned into centrino and years before centrino turned into core-duo centrino; it'll only have been months between core-duo to core-duo 2.

7. cobrajoker

cobrajoker Pen Pal - Newbie

Acer has had a few systems up with Duo Core.. as far as Core 2 duo no word yet.. Latest Notebook is the AS9800 20.1 LCD.

8. L337Llama

L337Llama Pen Pal - Newbie

Do the chipsets in the 200 and 310 series work with core duos? Also, how hard is it to replace the cpu. That could be one way to get a Core Duo Acer.

9. Jesse

Jesse Pen Pal - Newbie

I don't think you can change the CPU on a notebook or Tablet. I know that if your motherboard or CPU broke, you could send it to Acer or whichever company manufactured it and they or an authorized repair centre could replace the part with the exact same type of motherboard or CPU as you had before, but I think that asides from memory and hard drives, most parts on a notebook or tablet are fixed.

On that note, I think the Acer Travelmate C20x and C31x series Tablets max out at the old single core Centrino 2.0 ghz processors for now. Whether or not they keep the same designs and just upgrade the specs or come out with completely new series of Tablet PC's is yet to be seen. I personally loved the design of the C314, however at the time I was buying a Tablet, the 6 lb weight seemed to be too much to be lugging around a university campus all day. If they could somehow lessen the weight to an acceptable 5 pounds, increase the screen resolution past the standard 1024/768 that they're capped at now and possibly work out a few of the bugs that people have been gripping about in the forums, I'd be tempted to switch from my M400 to a newer refresh of the 314. (I'm pretty sure that if I even start talking about buying another tablet pc, my girlfriend will kill me... but I'll deal with that when the time comes :))

10. Gautam

Gautam Moderator

Jesse is right - its going to be a real difficult operation to swap out the processor.

Even if the slots are the same, there are going to be issues with the motherboard that will just slow down a dual core proc to the equivelant of a centrino pentium D proc.

probably best to just wait until acer releases the real deal. plus, that will still be under warranty. Acer probably won't warrant any damage to the tablet if you switch out any internal part.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.