Core 2 Duo Availability

Discussion in 'Fujitsu' started by caeci11ius, Jul 28, 2006.

  1. caeci11ius

    caeci11ius Moderator Moderator

    Messages:
    167
    Likes Received:
    0
    Trophy Points:
    31
    Hi folks,
    finally got the money together to get a shiny new Fujitsu T4210, however, with the impending availability of the Core 2 Duo chip, i'm wondering if I should wait. As I live in Australia, the delay for availability will be a month or two over what it is in the US, but i'm wondering if anyone has any idea when the chip will be available as a configuration option in customized T4210s there...?

    Also, does anyone know when the new chipset with the fancier integrated graphics etc is scheduled to become available?

    I expect i'll just go ahead and get the machine with the Yonah chip that's available now, particularly as I want it for uni and semester's just gone back...however, with the power savings and increased performance of the new chip (and the fact that it's package and thermal compatible with the current offering), perhaps availability will be sooner that i'd expect?
     
  2. KoMarik

    KoMarik Pen Pal - Newbie

    Messages:
    44
    Likes Received:
    0
    Trophy Points:
    16
    Intel's new Santa Rosa chipset will be available in the first half of 2007. Until it is out, with a much improved GM965 integrated graphics solution and support for Robson, I suspect that any improvements Core 2 Duo chips will have over original Yonah's are largely incremental and are not worth waiting for, IMO. I've seen mentions of about 20% performance improvements - but will this matter in real world usage, particularly if power usage remains generally the same? Keeping this mind, I wouldn't expect any big improvements to Fujitsu's T-series until Spring of 2007, if not later.

    -M-
     
  3. Barry J. Doyle

    Barry J. Doyle Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

    Messages:
    2,153
    Likes Received:
    0
    Trophy Points:
    66
    Time to be Yoda (again)! The future is hazy on this one. We cannot accurately predict power consumption and especially refresh dates of hardware around the release of a new platform. However I am willing to go out on a limb and make this guess:

    1. The new platform will probably show up in hardware AFTER the new year.

    2. Real world performance will only "feel" different when running extremely demanding taks (3D rendering, etc.). The current Core Duo machines already demonstrate how daily tasks can be handled quickly.

    3. Power and heat will only continue to become problematic. (again my guess). I say skip the wait and get what you want now.
     
  4. PYROTAK

    PYROTAK Scribbler - Standard Member

    Messages:
    286
    Likes Received:
    0
    Trophy Points:
    31
    Heat is supposed to be fixed since its running at a lower voltage. And it uses a dynamic cache to save battery life.

    Once a bios is out and supports it I hope someone is brave enough to go try it. Hell I might go ahead and do it for fun.
     
  5. DragonFlame

    DragonFlame Pen Pal - Newbie

    Messages:
    54
    Likes Received:
    0
    Trophy Points:
    15
    Is there any speculation in a drop in the Core Duo processor prices? In which, wouldn't htat also reduce the prices of most (if not all) the current tablets?
     
  6. PYROTAK

    PYROTAK Scribbler - Standard Member

    Messages:
    286
    Likes Received:
    0
    Trophy Points:
    31
    Core 2 duo is supposed to hit the market in notebooks at the end of august-ish. Unless its coming out for tablets there is no incentive to drop the price.
     
  7. Fido

    Fido Scribbler - Standard Member

    Messages:
    299
    Likes Received:
    0
    Trophy Points:
    31
    I did some research into that, the voltage decrese is really only in the desktop version unfortuneately. The Core mobile version was already optimized for voltage so the Core 2 version isn't going to drop. There will be Low Voltage version of Core 2, but the downside to that is that it wont come out until the summer of 2241 and will cost your soul, and a virgin sacrifice.

    Well the component price will drop signifigantly so that means they can produce core duo tablets for a cheaper price. Core Duo tablets are continually updated so I'm sure one of the companies will pass the savings to the consumer, causing a competitive innitiative for other companies to follow suit.

    Anyways, the key to waiting is basically, if you can wait, wait, if you can't don't. The way it looks is that although Core 2 is coming out soon, it's the desktops that will benifit the most. If you can wait the rest of the month, we should get better information, because so far we haven't had a comprehensive review of Core 2 Mobile yet so we really don't know how much better it is.
     
  8. PYROTAK

    PYROTAK Scribbler - Standard Member

    Messages:
    286
    Likes Received:
    0
    Trophy Points:
    31
    Im not expecting it to come out for tablets soon, so I am just going to buy a yonah based tablet and try my luck at upgrading the processor (bios providing) later on.

    Not that it actually makes any difference since I am just going to be using this computer to do some CAD work, surf the web, edit some pictures, and take notes.

    Its just for my own personal edification hehehe.
     
  9. Fido

    Fido Scribbler - Standard Member

    Messages:
    299
    Likes Received:
    0
    Trophy Points:
    31
    I just want to get the best deal for my money.
     
  10. PYROTAK

    PYROTAK Scribbler - Standard Member

    Messages:
    286
    Likes Received:
    0
    Trophy Points:
    31
    Id say maybe if you wait till August then you might see a decline in price.

    I have to get one before the end of August so I really don't have a choice in the matter.
     
Loading...

Share This Page