Cord Cutting 101

Discussion in 'Off Topic Chat' started by dstrauss, Dec 19, 2019.

1. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

I'm looking at YouTube TV and Philo as well (Hallmark lover in our house). What are the advantages to Apple TV over Roku or other lower cost streaming devices?

2. desertlap

desertlap Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

So a bit of a rant this morning since I just found out my home ISP is starting to cap data next month (except they are exempting their partners with streaming content).

We cut the cord early last year after our cable provider wanted an almost 40% increase, wanted a two year commitment and actually cut three of the channels we watched most (especially Turner Classic Movies).

However in the interim we have developed what I would term service creep. We started out with Sling, but about two months in we had both reliability issues and they got in to a spat with a couple of our local channel providers.

The local channel issue was resolved to the dismay of my wife by buying an OTA antenna. And of course that only worked for the living room TV which isn't even the primary video consumption device in the house.

So we ended up going with Hulu Plus Live Tv which solved the device problem for local channels.

But then content has become the question and we have over time added both Disney Plus, Apple TV (only because a year came free with our new iphones) Netflix and CBS All Access (the new Star Trek). So the costs are now creeping back towards our old cable bill.

Additionally my wife wanted to reclaim the physical space that our DVD/Blu-Ray collection was taking so we started attempting to update our favorites to some form of digital.

That of course proved far more challenging than you'd think. For instance "The Music Man" is one of my wife and daughters very favorite films. When we switched out, it seemed to be fairly easily available on multiple services..... Until last night when the only service we had access to it was streaming via the TCM app. Which then was blocked because my son and daughter were watching other content connected to Hulu and we hit the streaming limit.:mad:

Then of course add to the fact that the TV show Friends has all but disappeared from any streaming source for the time being (but it will be back on HBO Max: yay...o_O) in a few months but of course yet another service to sign up for. And don't get me started on the Criterion Collection which used to be a part of Hulu.

So to wrap this up, I'm certain that in totality I have not improved things overall eg. some additional content perhaps but at the cost of a "where's waldo" effort frequently to find a specific show or movie.

TLDR; cord cutting still isn't for the feint of heart and the increased "friction" that has resulted in many cases in our family just saying the heck with it. And don't even get me started on how Netflix and others openly favor their mobile only apps over browser based access.

So yes, a grumpy man this morning :(

dstrauss and JoeS like this.
  3. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

Wait, but when the current FCC killed net neutrailty, they promised they would not abuse their new freedom!

Marty likes this.
  4. dstrauss

"Friction" is almost a fire starter in our house. But I am still furious at Direct TV's "generous" $15 savings to keep me as a customer. That only makes the cost $149 to the $70 I'm paying for YouTube TV. Subscription creep is a real threat to the whole thing, but I'd have Disney+, Netflix, and Apple TV regardless. Plus I can share those Disney+ and Netflix subscriptions with my kids' other two households as well.

I just wish I could win the Direct TV vs YouTube TV/Philo...

5. dstrauss

Well, cord cutting gets more complicated by the minute, and it is the MEDIA creators, not cable, causing the dysfunction.
    • Thank you NBC for bringing forth yet another walled content service - Peacock -
    • CBS all access is already in its third (?) year of exclusivity
    • ABC is surprisingly missing from some streaming services
    • A whole slew of content (Hallmark, et al) is only available on Philo
    • Let's not even discuss the tragedy that is Netflix, Amazon Prime Video, Disney +, Hulu, and others carving up the movie/TV industry content
    What looked like a promising leap to cable freedom has become a nightmare of life-sucking subscription content choices (should I have expected otherwise given the continuing war between the networks and cable/satellite - who's not showing where today - gee, it's Fox missing from Dish so no NFC/Superbowl content for you Dish subscribers). It is an f*****g nightmare.

OK, calm down, it's not totally f*****d up out there, and many of those content providers would be add-ons to any cable/satellite packages anyway, but now it is TOTALLY my obligation to unscramble, isn't it...

MAYBE CORD CUTTING = ABANDONING TV??????

6. Chris_Kez

Chris_Kez Scribbler - Standard Member

Yeah, I think cord cutting is about being choiceful (if that’s a word). No more big buffet. It is not for everyone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk