Copy Recovery Partition to External Drive?

Discussion in 'Hewlett Packard' started by timothyb, Jan 19, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. timothyb

timothyb Pen Pal - Newbie

I hear several mention to copy the recovery files to an external drive when preparing to delete it, at least after making the recovery dvds of course.

Looking at the recovery partition, even with hidden files on, only shows a 4.4meg file on the tx2500z. How would I effectivily move that onto an external USB drive? Image, Clone?

Would it even be worthwhile? I hear simply change partitions while leaving it alone can mess up booting with F11, even when making it active with Vista before restarting. Thus, even after making it a copy, then restoring for some unknown reason, it may never work.

I plan to delete the recovery partition, then free up some space from the main Vista partition, finally creating a new partition around 20 gigs to install Windows 7 on.

I made the recovery discs, and now copying the swsetup folder to a passport external drive, then plan to also make a DVD of that too.

I tried searching for answers on this.

2. adam.mt

adam.mt Super Moderator Senior Member

Not sure how it works with your particular HP but I know with some computers the recovery discs actually return the computer to full factory settings including a new recovery partition. Thus, separately backing it up wouldn't be necessary.

3. timothyb

I've seen people mention once the recovery partition is gone it's gone forever. That the recovery discs don't restore the recovery partition. As long as I have those discs I guess it's no different. I mean, why let HP take up 10 gigs of space for something that should have been on a disc anyway.

4. TabbedOut

TabbedOut Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I ended copying the backup partition on my wife's computer (an acer) to an external drive when I upgraded the HDD. I figured that even if I have the recovery disks, I do like having a clean install and the recovery partition had all of the drivers on it which makes it so much easie, in case something happened to her disk.

5. adam.mt

adam.mt Super Moderator Senior Member

Very true. Though guess if you want to be doublely safe then you can do as, or similar, to TabbedOut.

6. timothyb

Thanks, though, that's one of my questions. How do I go about effectively copying it to an external HDD? Maybe with the Acer it was easy to drag and drop files. But HP is hidden, only showing a single file that gives you a message.

I first tried the free DrimeImage software, but always gets stuck on an error that shouldn't happen, error 8000FFF about a process shadow copy process not running, but by all accounts is running in task manager and other services that were needed. Last resort would have been registry editing. I haven't tried to see if there's a compatibility issue with Vista 64bit.

Another software I tired basically didn't let me install on 64bit. I've looked into that TrueImage, considering a trial, but it costs more now and some people are reporting the new 2009 version upon uninstall is deleting the OS boot file, so you system can't start anymore.

If it costs me $50 just for a way to backup the recovery edition with decent software, I might as well save the money and pay HP if I ever need new discs again.

Unless you guys have a better way of doing it?

Thanks for the help

7. nevarDeath

nevarDeath Phone Expert

Using the restore disks does NOT give you the recovery partition back. once it's gone it's gone. If you have the discs, then there's no need for the partition so long as you don't lose the disks

8. timothyb

I guess that's all I need to hear to be reassured it's not a horrible mistake to remove the partition after making the discs. Maybe I'll make one more set of recovery disks just incase.

Seems sad though the disks don't restore the partition. Like if the HDD were to fail, and you bought a new one, larger, faster, and use the recover disks, but still to never have the recover anymore.

It would be nice to have it on a 16gb thumb drive instead of a partition on the same hard drive, as it can't help you if the drive fails.

9. nevarDeath

nevarDeath Phone Expert

Yeah making copies of your restore disks is an EXCELLENT idea if you're going to delete the recovery partition. I deleted mine and made an extra copy of the disks. I've restored 4 times since and had no problems. Thumb drive would be cool though!

10. yellowsno

yellowsno Wants to be a Mod

Try going into GParted (linux partition editor, also available as a linux live disc). You can use it's built in partition copier to move the restore partition to the external HDD.
    I must add that you idea of backup is very good.

...On second thought, how do you plan to boot from this newly copied restore partition?

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.