Copy + Paste?

Discussion in 'Asus (Android)' started by mat1990dj, Sep 27, 2012.

1. mat1990dj

mat1990dj Pen Pal - Newbie

I'm wondering about one thing,

I've seen the "copy" options on some apps, like the writer, and cutenotes.

Why can't there be a system copy paste?

Isn't it a linux running on?

2. BlacKnight

BlacKnight Scribbler - Standard Member

As I understand it... The Eee Note runs embedded Linux. Applications are written with the QT API. Asus have provided the QT server which provides the "desktop".

There is a system clipboard: for example if you copy something in ConsoleQ you can paste it into CuteNotes. But one problem is that the "desktop" doesn't provide copy/paste tools, and the on screen keyboard doesn't have Control keys, so you can't do CRTL-C (copy) and CTRL-V (paste) . Also, not all the apps provide copy/paste functions. This means you can't always access the system clipboard when you want to in an app.

So in most situations there is no way to access the system clipboard. Of course the system could have been designed differently to include easy accesa to the system clipboard.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2012
  3. mat1990dj

That's the problem, the keyboard hasnt got ctrl key.

I have 3 ideas in mind to use copy/paste but I don't know anything about programming:

- Edit the keyboard to have to have a ctrl key on the keyboard?
    - Change something to have copy and paste in the touch-buttons in all aplications
    - And could it be possible to have a program that keeps on the taskbar with the 3 icons (copy, cut, paste) and that clicking it just emulates the CTRL-C/V/X

Ive seen that there is a true clipboard, copying in cutenotes and paste in console works, because all two have the copy/paste option.

4. BlacKnight

BlacKnight Scribbler - Standard Member

Your first idea can't be implemented because ASUS haven't released the source code for the keyboard, so we can't edit it. But it might be possible to substitute an alternative soft Keyboard, although nobody has found a suitable QT keyboard yet.

Your second idea can't be implemented because the touch panel is controlled by each application, so the sytem can't override that behaviour for all apps.

I've been told by other users who know more than me about this stuff that it's not possible to add widgets to the taskbar, so that rules out your third idea.

My own idea would be to enable pen gestures for copy and paste. This might be possible because ASUS has released the source code for the pen library, so the pen data can be intercepted. But you would need to know how to identify the foreground application and perhaps send it spoof CTRL-C/CTRL-V keystrokes. Personally I don't know how to do that.

5. mat1990dj

Ok, I have another idea that would be like pen gestures, on windows enabled pen-tablets if you holf down for one second you get a context menu, maybe this could be used?

If an expert can throw some light...