Convertibles with indoor/outdoor displays

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by hotafin, Jun 18, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hotafin

hotafin Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi!
    I've been thinking to buy a convertible tablet, for a while now. The one I've popped into is the Fujitsu-Siemens T4010 model. I wonder if you know other tablets to consider? The indoor/outdoor display is quite essential for me.
    About the performance: Do you think that this baby can run some 3D games as well? e.g. like WoW/Warcraft3, HW 2, etc.
    Do you know if the optional extra battery, wich can be inserted in the media bay, can be swapped during work? (if the optical drive and the battery is swappable during work)
    How much power does an external HDD consumes? Do you know any low power consuption models?

Thanks!

Ps.: Sorry for the tons of questions

2. centaur8

centaur8 Pen Pal - Newbie

Regarding the Fujistu 4010, I can answer regarding the battery swap.

The modular battery and CD/DVD drive can be hot swapped while it is running so long as the main battery is installed and/or it is plugged in. I have the indoor screen so can't comment on the indoor/outdoor screen. Running 3D games and stuff-- With its integrated graphics, it can use up to 64MB for video. The games may run, but they are not going to be anything great. If you want to run a lot of games, I would opt for something with dedicated graphics.

I haven't used any external drives with it yet so can't comment on battery usage here.

Centaur8

3. Brian

Brian Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

You can buy powered external HDD units, so the impact would be small. It's going to depend on your uasage more than anything else.

As for games, it's not going to perform well there. You might be able to get by on low settings, but best to not set your expectations too high. If you want gaming the Toshiba M4 is your machine.

4. hotafin

hotafin Pen Pal - Newbie

yes, I know that the integrated graphics are not anywhere near a dedicated vc, but I was wondering if anyone had played games on this proc/chipset. Besides, I don't wanna use this baby for gaming, it would be nice though if I could every now and then.

With the indoor screen, how much battery life do you get?

About the external drive: if I would need the drive on the move, I couldn't use one wich relies on external power...

5. hotafin

hotafin Pen Pal - Newbie

Maybe it's a silly question, but I really have no idea, how those modular bays work.

This means, that the 2nd battery is connected to the notebook while the bay is attached (giving a comlete 8400mAh battery life) or it is just stored there, and I have to swap the batteries when needed?

6. hotafin

hotafin Pen Pal - Newbie

If anyone has pictures of indoor/outdoor displays made in different light conditions, please post them, or link them!

Thanks

7. Brian

You'll be able to play something like UT 2004 on the lowest settings. Definitely no Doom 3 or anything like that. RTS games like Rise of Nations will run flawlessly.

The flexible bay lets you insert a battery or optical drive. It is hot swapable for the battery, so long as the main has juice.

8. hotafin

hotafin Pen Pal - Newbie

You mean what is swapable with what? Optical drive and the 2nd battery in the bay?

9. Brian

10. hotafin

hotafin Pen Pal - Newbie

Is the HP tc4200 useable outdoors in sunshine?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.