convertible suggestions

Discussion in 'What Tablet PC Should I Buy?' started by stankanovic, Apr 19, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. stankanovic

stankanovic Pen Pal - Newbie

So what i would need is a device with pretty decent power, good for drawing, ideally with a decent graphics card however this is not a huge priority, and a nice keyboard. 2 in one would be great as i travel a lot and less is better. would be nice if i had access to RAM and HD as i could upgrade the device myself. Ideally looking for a device to keep for 3-4 years so something that could stand the test of time would be nice. Will be starting univeristy soon so would be nice if for notetaking too.

Been doing a bit of research and the Surface pro 3 seems like a decent option. But the keyboard looks a bit disappointing and it seems to be a Tablet first and laptop second. I would like to have a more powerful device that functions as a Laptop primarily and as a tablet mainly for drawing pruposes. Have been looking at Lenovo thinkpad yoga 12,14 and 15. I like the more solid build and more powerful capabilities in terms of graphics. the main question would be regarding drawing capabilities on them. are they actually any good for that? Also are there some other options i'm overlooking that would be worth considering?

General Questions.

1. What is your budget?
    Ideally would be 1000$ (new zealand) but would be willing to go up to 1500$ (new zealand)

2. Would you consider purchasing used/refurbished?
    Either would be fine

3. Do you prefer a media/mobile tablet like the iPad, Windows tablet PC, or notebook convertible?
    notebook convertible

4. What size Tablet PC would you prefer?
    a larger screen would be nicer 10-15inches

5. Which country do you intent to purchase from [where do you live]?
    New Zealand, however in a few months time I'll be in SE Asia and i have the option to purchase from Europe too.

6. Do you have any preferences to brand loyalty or dislikes?
    Currently using a Lenovo e530 which has been pretty good. i like the fact that its a sturdy build that can take a bit of rough treatment.

7. How many hours battery life do you require?
    Not particularly fussed. would be nice to have at lest 4-5 hours though

8. What will be the primary usage scenario of this tablet? (Email/Web Surfing/Drawing/Word Processing/Entertainment/Notetaking etc)
    Would be my main device and possibly only device so would be nice if it had the power to do a bit of everything. definitely notetaking, videos, good drawing capabilities (not necessarily professional level), basic autocad and would be nice to be able to play some games on it too.

9. Do you have an OS preference? For example, do you own an iPhone and a Mac, or are you a Windows fan? Do you own an Android device and use Google services frequently?
    Would be happy with windows but open to options

10. What software and tasks do you intend to run? (Microsoft Office or other Word Processing Suite/Photoshop/3D Studio Max/Autocad etc)
    basic autocad, photoshop, illlustrator...

11. Do you intend on playing Games? If so please list.
    maybe online game of fifa, football manager, would be nice to try out some of the newer games too like batman arkham city and the like.

12. Would you like to stream content through your home theater system?
    not really

Screen Specifics

1. Any preference on screen resolution?
    Anything suitable for drawing

2. Will you be using the tablet outdoors? Do you need to be able to see it through glare from the sun?
    Sometimes

3. Do you require a pen? With or without pressure sensitivity? Do you prefer Wacom or N-trig?
    Yes! with pressure sensitivity, wacom or n-trig as long as it does the job

Component Specifics

1. What size Hard Drive and Memory do you require? Would you like expandable memory?
    I guess 8GB ram would do it and 128, 256 SSD would be ideal. can do the necessary upgrades myself to save money

2. What sort of inputs do you require, if any? Would you like full-sized USB and SD card slots? Are microUSB and microSD ok? Do you require HDMI inputs?
    Full sized USB would be good

2. stankanovic

stankanovic Pen Pal - Newbie

did a bit more research and it seems like the thinkpad helix 2 is quite a nice option. Otherwise might consider getting a 'standalone' tablet for drawing sketching now and getting a more powerful laptop later on in the year. Any suggestions/quick comparisons between the samsung galaxy note tablets and the toshiba encore 2?