Convertible/2-in-1 for Notes and GIS

Discussion in 'What Tablet PC Should I Buy?' started by Mountain343, Feb 23, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mountain343

Mountain343 Pen Pal - Newbie

General Questions.

1. What is your budget?

Under 1200 preferably, but willing to go above if necessary.

2. Would you consider purchasing used/refurbished?

No.

3. Do you prefer a media/mobile tablet like the iPad, Windows tablet PC, or notebook convertible?

iPad is definitely out, but the other two might be ok.

4. What size Tablet PC would you prefer?
    • Above 13-inches
    13-15. I currently have an HP TX2500z with a 12.1 and it's just too small

5. Which country do you intent to purchase from [where do you live]?

United States

6. Do you have any preferences to brand loyalty or dislikes?

With the latest brouhaha with Lenovo, I'm very reluctant to purchase from them.

7. How many hours battery life do you require?

The longer the better! I have 3 to 5 hour classes, and some days back to back classes where I just barely have time to swap a battery and no place to plug in.

8. What will be the primary usage scenario of this tablet? (Email/Web Surfing/Drawing/Word Processing/Entertainment/Notetaking etc)

Primary function will be for taking notes in OneNote, but I also need a screen that is good for reading PDF's and E-textbooks.

Secondary function is for QGIS and ArcGIS mapping as I am a Geography/Environmental Studies Major.

Right now I have the TX2500x and it works pretty good, except that it's heavy, has low battery life (2-3 hrs on best setting) and it's really poor for reading with light fall off at the edges and weird issues in portrait mode.

It must have an active digitizer as good as/or better than my current TX2500. I spend a lot of time drawing diagrams, working in Q and Arc, and highlighting and annotating pdfs.

9. Do you have an OS preference? For example, do you own an iPhone and a Mac, or are you a Windows fan? Do you own an Android device and use Google services frequently?

Has to be Windows so it can run Q and Arc.

10. What software and tasks do you intend to run? (Microsoft Office or other Word Processing Suite/Photoshop/3D Studio Max/Autocad etc)

QGIS, ArcGIS, OneNote

11. Do you intend on playing Games? If so please list.

no

12. Would you like to stream content through your home theater system?

No

Screen Specifics

1. Any preference on screen resolution?

As high as I can get. My current laptop has 1280x800 and it's fine

2. Will you be using the tablet outdoors? Do you need to be able to see it through glare from the sun?
    See the above linked FAQ for guidance

Rarely if ever. Not an issue for the most part.

3. Do you require a pen? With or without pressure sensitivity? Do you prefer Wacom or N-trig?
    See the above linked FAQ for guidance

Yes, active digitizer is a must. I've never used N-Trig, but if it'll work with Arc and Q that's fine. I'm not an artist, I don't need to draw super fine lines and detail and stuff. I just need to make good diagrams, do math, and draw polygons and click along a path.

Component Specifics

1. What size Hard Drive and Memory do you require? Would you like expandable memory?

Hard drive should be 250+ I'm thinking. Memory would be best to be 8gb. I have 3 now and it's dragging hard.

2. What sort of inputs do you require, if any? Would you like full-sized USB and SD card slots? Are microUSB and microSD ok? Do you require HDMI inputs?

I'm thinking full size USB is a must, I guess vga is no longer a thing, so hdmi would be nice to use a second monitor in the computer labs which have vga inputs. SD would be nice as well.

Misc
    1. Other non specific items ~ please add other items you require not covered above?

I'd love a detachable screen but doesn't have to be. Must have the ability to use a 2nd battery that is easily swapped for long days.

2. Additional requests ~ anything other you wish to take into consideration?

I won't lie, I love my Tx2500. It's served me very well for 6 years and it's still doing really well. I love the keyboard, I love the wacom digitizer, I actually use the remote control a lot and the dual headphone ports comes in handy when watching class videos with others. It's not too big like a lot of the 15 and 17 inches seemed to be, and it's not too small like the Surface Pro's were, though the new one I believe is the same size as my TX is now. 13 seems to be the size I really need though, especially for pdf's.

Also I don't know if Core M will run Q and ArcGIS, i'm mostly focused on i3's and preferably an i5.

The most important thing is that I'm not in a hurry to rush out and buy anything, but if there's something out there that fits what I need, I'm all ears!

Ones I've looked at are
    Fujitsu Q775/T935
    Dell Inspiron and Latitude 13 7000 (is this an active digitizer???)
    Acer R13
    HP Envy x2 13 (can't sit it on my lap and type in classes without a table)

Thanks for any help or thoughts!

2. Mountain343

Mountain343 Pen Pal - Newbie

Just an update since no one replied. my TX finally died on me and I ended up buying the HP Spectre x360. While it doesn't have the removeable battery, it has so far met all of my needs!

I also picked up the dell pen for it, and it's been great for digitizing maps and quick notes.

And since the store had a sale, I also got the ASUS T100 for use as a second screen for under 200 bucks. The two together with my kindle make for a great multi screen setup in the library and meet all of my needs.

[​IMG]

Bronsky likes this.
  3. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

Sorry we missed your post but you seem to have done okay. I like the Spectre a lot better than any of the Inspiron line, the R13 or the Envy X2 13.

4. cliffr39

cliffr39 Pen Pal - Newbie

Really... Better than the envy x2 13? I was actually checking that out.

Glad you found a great combination of devices to suit your needs

5. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

My beef with the Envy 13 x2 is the weight, aspect ratio and the lack of direct connection with the keyboard. Without the keyboard it is nearly a pound heavier than my old 13.3" Thinkpad X301.:eek: The 16:9, well, its 16:9. I just don't think the Envy makes a great tablet. Plus, I would prefer a direct connection over a BT keyboard. The keyboard is decent but the Spectre is far better IMO. The unit is .6 lb lighter with keyboard attached. The only thing I really hate about the Spectre is its trackpad. The damn thing is just too big.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.