Convert to text AND keep handwriting?

Discussion in 'OneNote, Evernote and Organizers' started by Flybane, Oct 6, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Flybane

Flybane Tablet Convert

Hi,
    Is there a way in OneNote to keep both ink and text conversion? I like being able to convert to text because my handwriting isn't always legible, but I also like being able to look at my handwritten originals when I don't need to read as quickly. Surely there must be some way to switch back and forth?

2. Frank

Frank Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Nope.

OneNote saves the ink, but in the background it converts the ink automatically to text, to make the ink searchable.
    But when you've converted the ink to text, then you've converted it and can't return to ink state.
    So it's not possible to switch between an ink and a text view.

Your only option is to copy the whole ink, paste is aside and convert it there to text, but this will be a lot of work and difficult.

3. Kyle Porter

Kyle Porter Veteran Moderator Senior Member

I totally wish there were a way. My teacher says no typing your assignments, but i allowed to use my tablet.

If that was possible i would type it out and convert it to ink :D.

4. Frank

@kpvic:
    Have you tried the My Font Tool for Tablet PC?
    With this tool you're able to create a font of your own handwriting in only a few minutes. Maybe it works and your teacher is not able to tell the difference between your custom created font and your original handwritten notes :)

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  5. tlewis

tlewis Scribbler - Standard Member

If you copy your handwritten notes and paste them into Word they'll automatically be converted to text...Not exactly the solution you're looking for, but it does offer you a separate, neat record of the text...while keeping your notes in OneNote an uncluttered handwritten environment.

I'd be willing to bet that the next version of ON will include this capability...it's very weird that it doesn't now, especially considering that other MS apps do.

Speaking of which, another option is using Windows Journal - a pretty powerful, often overlooked note-taking app. It's included with the tablet OS, so should be on your device. It does what you want.
    t lewis

6. Frank

How? How can I view live the converted handwriting, edit the handwriting and it edits the text, write something and it adds this to the text.
    I never saw this option.

If you mean that you are able to both mix handwritten notes with typed notes, then this is also possible with OneNote.

So, please explain how this works, maybe then I also use Journal again.

7. tlewis

tlewis Scribbler - Standard Member

It wasn't clear to me - and upon re-reading still isn't - that the original poster was requiring that the text be updated "live"...That's a very cool notion, though...Kind of like the Dragon Dictate plug-in that allows recording and converting dictation at the same time, but with handwriting. I'd buy that.

I gathered that he merely wanted to be able to covert his handwritten notes without losing the original. Which OneNote will not let you do...weirldy, it destroys your handwriting upon conversion. A huge fault, I think, if only because conversion is usually mistake-ridden and it would be nice to refer back to the original to make corrections before you voluntarily delete them.

Journal - and Word and PowerPoint in my experience - gives you a right-click option to "Copy as text", shows you a review box of that conversion for you to edit and OK...Then lets you paste it wherever you want...which could be in column running beside you notes, I suppose, or in boxes/paragraphs alternating with chunks of handwritten notes...which might almost achieve the effect of "live" updates. Not quite as cool.

The only app I've seen that comes close to that is MyScript Notes...but it's pretty clunky and the inking experience is poor.
    t

8. Frank

Ah, now I understand. But OneNote also has this feature Journal or other programs have.
    You write something, then you select it and copy it, now both ink and text were copied. If you now paste it in OneNote then it will paste the ink, but there also pops up a small toolbar button where you can select "Keep text only" which then only pastes the text, and removes the ink.
    If you copy ink from OneNote to Notepad then it also only pastes the text.

So OneNote copies both internal, and later you can select what source you want, ink or text.

9. Flybane

Flybane Tablet Convert

EXACTLY. It is so annoying! How could they not have thought of that? There should totally be a button that lets you toggle back and forth or open both text and ink in two different window panels. If it's going to just destroy my handwriting, I almost might as well be typing it :mad: Guess I'll have to do a lot of copying and pasting..

10. gordoncahill

gordoncahill Scribbler - Standard Member

Can't you just copy the ink on a page to a subpage and convert that. That way you have both.

Gordon

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.