Considering getting the Toughbook FZ-G1 for Art Use, but a few questions

Discussion in 'Panasonic' started by darkmagistric, Sep 29, 2013.

1. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Right now I'm considering getting a new Tablet PC to use primarily for Digital Painting in Photoshop.

I was considering either the Samsung ATIV Q, The Surface Pro 2, or the Wacom Cintiq Companion....but all 3 of them have their ups and downs...and given the $1300 - $2000 price point of those tablets.....I'm starting to feel that the FZ-G1 might be a more preferable tablet for my needs.

The FZ-G1 use's a 16:10 aspect ratio which I find much better then the 16:9 of those other tablets. And the 10.1 screen size should make it the same overall screen size I'm used to on my Galaxy Note 10.1 so I should feel at home.

It has 2 programable express keys on the bezel, which is less then the Cintiq Companion has, but for my uses, 2 express keys are all that I really need.

Its Ivy Bridge Core i5 should be able to handle Photoshop with ease, and the 8GB of Ram option is certainly helpful.

Then the Removable Battery, the 800 Nit outdoor screen, and the general built like a tank build....for the same comparative price I would pay for other optiopns, the FZ-G1 just seems to offer the best bang for my buck.

And I was recently in Singapore and I was able to hold and use the FZ-G1 at store, and despite the toughbook build, I found it quite comfortable to hold and it really wasn't that heavy. Once I had it in my hands, I kind of knew I wanted it.

But I do have a few questions that I'm hoping owners of it will be able to answer.

1. Is the Ram user upgradable? I found a pretty good deal on the 4GB option, but I really want 8GB. I know its got a ton of screws on the back, but so far I've only been able to determine that the SSD and Battery are removable...and despite my googleing the question, and I can't find any mention if the Ram is user accessable. Ideally I'd like to get the 4GB at the lower price and then just upgrade the Ram myself at a later date. $3000 for the 8GB model is more then I'm willing to spend.

2. When I used it, the Wacom digitizer worked great....except for the edges. I know this has been a constant problem kind of like forever with the UD digitizer...where on the corners, the accuracy kind of goes to hell. its overall a minor issue, but some tablets have this problem more so then others...and on the FZ-G1 it seemed to be pretty bad. It could have just been that specific unit, but have any FZ-G1 owners here encoutnered this issue?

3. On some reviews I've read that the Heat gets pretty bad on the bottom of the device. Can anyone confirm if it indeed gets really too hot to handle?

Thanks in advance for any reply

Last edited: Sep 30, 2013
  2. klachowski

klachowski Pen Pal - Newbie

Sorry I don't know anything about this tablet, but I just had to comment that I'm glad that more companies are straying away from the silly Apple inspired hot-key-less tablet aesthetic. Programmable buttons are just so useful!

3. Steve B

Steve B Moderator Moderator

I have also looked long and hard at this tablet and have pondered getting it-- I draw and paint digitally as well, and my paying work takes me outdoors too. It's got a silo on the back, bezel buttons, a incredibly bright 800 nit matte screen, a 16:10 ratio (which I really like on my q552), is built rugged tough with Mil Specs and a good ip rating, has an iCore and a replaceable battery, etc.

Issues?
    -Price, of course, is one.
    -Two is that for that kind of price I need it to be my main computer. That means I need a portable dockable keyboard for input.
    -Three is that I like my computers really quiet and cool, and some reviews I read mentioned the heat it produced, as well as the fans being easily audible in an office/ room. I admit I'm finicky on this point, and have actually returned perfectly competent computers (the x201t, the Motion le1700) because of heat and noise issues. I'd rather have a slightly less powerful but more "balanced" machine.

So, given that, I'm waiting on the sidelines on this one. What I really want is a
    -rugged build (though not necessarily as rugged as this one is-- more about being droppable and dust ingress)
    -keyboard dock
    -active pen
    -16:10 screen
    -bright nit rating

This comes close in many ways, but not all. That's why I'm really looking at Bay Trail devices with more interest-- perhaps a sequel to the q552, but with a keyboard dock. If Panasonic releases something like this with a mobile keyboard dock though.... then I'd really have to think hard, because there's so much to like about it, for what it does.

If you get it, I would absolutely be interested in your review, pics of how the screen works outdoors (both in terms of reflections and brightness), how it feels in the hand, how noisy it is or hot it is indoors, etc. I think it would be a wonderful (if expensive) device for mobile, plein air art.

darkmagistric likes this.
  4. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I'm still kind of on the fence, but with the recent announcement that Microsoft will be unveiling new Surface Tablets in different Aspect Ratios...I think I might be better off waiting for a hopeful 16:10 or 3/4s ratio Surface Pro.

I'm just so sick of all these 16:9 tablets. And while the FZ-G1 is expensive...its really not that bad given the price of the current alternatives. A decent configured Surface Pro 2 with the Battery keyboard would probably set me back close to $1600, and the ATIV Q would be similar, and then considering the Cintiq Companion's $2000 price.....suddenly the FZ-G1 just doesn't seem like such a bad deal.

But I think I too will be enduring the waiting game..for now anyway.

5. jery61007

jery61007 Pen Pal - Newbie

Panasonic launched FZ-G1 Windows device along with its Android counterpart Panasonic ToughPad JT-B1, both are sturdy and will last longer, but the Android one is 7" and cost you $1,300, though it is not as much high-featured as the ToughPad Fz-G1.

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  6. Codeman862

Codeman862 Pen Pal - Newbie

I know this thread is a bit old, but I'm posting this for anyone else who runs across it.

I have a toughbook cf-19, so I'll provide as much info as I can, but it may not be exactly the same

1) RAM, based on what I've read, the ram is NOT upgradeable. I could be wrong though as panasonic aims to make these pcs easy to maintain and upgrade

2) Digitizer drift on corners. I'm not sure about the digitizer on that tablet, but mine has no drift/jitter at all in the corners. Most stores don't actually take the time to calibrate the screens.

3) Heat. I find that my laptop stays plesantly warm (Its actually quite nice to hold) unless i'm doing something that maxes the processor. My model is fanless so the tablet should stay the same temperature if not cooler

One more pro for toughbooks, the user community is strong and very supportive of anyone having issues

One more con, panasonic is not recognized as a major laptop manufacturer, so its harder to find accessories like chargers and replacement pens from third party companies.