Considering first Tablet to use in my daily lectures-could use help

Discussion in 'What Tablet PC Should I Buy?' started by PsychProf, Nov 20, 2010.

1. PsychProf

PsychProf Pen Pal - Newbie

Hello everyone. I am in the market for an ultraportable to complement my main work laptop that stays connect to an external monitor is a bit big on its own (Lenovo T500) and my primary home laptop EliteBook 8440W.

The reason I have been looking for an additional notebook is because the University where I work has converted many of our rooms to "laptop ready" rooms. This equates to a 50 inch LCD TV on the wall with a vga cable accessible for instructors should they choose to bring their own laptop. I show a lot of Youtube or other clips to illustrate points and have been incorporating in more powerpoint slides. As such, I end up hauling my T500 to every lecture and it displays too much space in my brief case.

I was just going to purchase an X200 or X200s, since I have been happy with Lenovo; however, I started thinking about the ways in which the Tablet could add to my teaching experience and got excited about those options.

I am leaning toward an X200t, HP 2740p, or Fujitsu T730 assuming I can be patient and find a good deal on one. I would love to hear feedback from folks. I am new to the Tablet world, so I am definitely learning as I go.

General Questions.

1. What is your budget? Flexible but prefer to stay 750-1000

2. Would you consider purchasing used/refurbished? Yes-preferred

3. Do you prefer a Slate, Convertible or Ultra Mobile PC (UMPC)? Dunno?

4. What size Tablet PC would you prefer?

* Compact ~ 10"
    * Mainstream ~ 12.1"

5. Which country do you intent to purchase from? USA

6. Do you have any preferences to brand loyalty or dislikes? Not really

7. How many hours battery life do you require? At least 4

8. What will be the primary usage scenario of this tablet? (Email/Web Surfing/Drawing/Word Processing/Entertainment/Notetaking etc) Displaying non HD videos and Powerpoints, office applications, and data analysis when traveling, notetaking in meetings, etc.

9. Do you have an OS preference? Window 7

10. What software and tasks do you intend to run? (Microsoft Office or other Word Processing Suite/Photoshop/3D Studio Max/Autocad etc)
    Office, SPSS,
    10. Do you intend on playing Games? If so please list.
    No

Screen Specifics

1. What resolution do you prefer?
    * WXGA - 1280x768 ~ has a wider usable area than XGA, ideal for viewing Spreadsheets and other programs that require desktop space. The mainly used resolution for new tablet PCs since 2008.

2. Do you require the screen to be readable in sunlight?
    See the above linked FAQ for guidance
    Not really, but a nice feature

3. Do you prefer your display to be glossy or matte?
    I like the looks of glossy but matte is probably a better fit for my needs

4. Do you require Touch? (without pressure sensitivity) (Which one: resistive or capacitive)
    No, but it would be nice

5. Do you require a Pen? (with pressure sensitivity) (Which one: Wacom or N-Trig)
    Yes, Wacom would be be preferred

Component Specifics

1. What size Hard Drive and Memory do you require?
    64 would suffice as this is an axillary machine (would like to upgrade to SSD at some point).

2. Do you require an Optical (CD/DVD) Drive to be built in?
    No

3. Do you require ability to add a second Battery or Hard Drive (Modular Bay technology)?
    No-but like the idea

2. DRTigerlilly

DRTigerlilly Tablet Lead Mod (Retired) Super Moderator

really any of those tablets would fit your needs well, and they all essentially come under the category of business tablets so the build quality will be fairly similar.

The only thing that would differentiate them would be the price point, and I think you're much more likely to find an x200 w/in your price range. Check the Lenovo Outlet you can find some significant savings there. Or I believe there even might be a forum member who has one for sale in the buy/sell/trade forum. (but definitely take a gander @ the Lenovo Outlet)

And just to cover your based the HP & Fujitsu Outlets. Links can be found in the tablet pc faq thread.

Also take into consideration that the 2740p & T730 are newer models (newer (faster, more energy efficient) processor lines, etc) than the x200. The x201 would be in line with those models in terms of technology used.

3. PsychProf

It's good to hear that all three options would likely be a good fit. I am flexible on the price and could swing the price on a refurbed or open box 2740p/201t/or T730. I was keeping the the 200t in mind b/c I figured it might save me some money while providing enough power to meet my requirements.

I get the sense that the 2740 might be the most portable (size wise) while the T730 is the most versatile and the x200t might offer the best value.

4. SimsHsia

SimsHsia "I will do science to it" Senior Member

Hello PsychProf,

I've had the chance to demo both the 2740p and X201t at my workplace earlier this summer. The X201t, to me, is a bit more clearer than the 2740p, even when both have a matte screen.

I've set up two 2740p for professors at my workplace and they have, so far, enjoyed their 2740p. Of course, there were some issues when one accidentally activating the touchscreen when their stylus was not near the screen, causing a slide presentation to go forward a slide. But, other than that their feedback has been very positive of the 2740p.

Also, keep in mind that if you are planning to upgrade to an SSD, the 2740p only accepts 1.8" SATA2 drives, which are sometimes priced a bit more than the common 2.5" drives that both the T730 and X200t/X201t use. Other than that, the 2740p is quite a nice Tablet PC.

5. PsychProf

Thanks for the info SimsHsia. I am surprised that tablets haven't caught on more in academia by now, but perhaps the cost makes it prohibitive for some places to provide them in massive quantities to their employees.

6. lovelaptops

lovelaptops My friends call me Jeff Senior Member

I agree completely with Dr Tigerlilly's points, but I do want to point out that I have found the manufacturers' own "outlet" stores do not offer particularly good prices, especially Fujitsu and Lenovo. The good news is that Fujitsu has an eBay store that offers excellent prices, and there are great values to be found from reliable sellers of the other models on eBay. By all means, check the mfrs' own outlet stores, but don't be disappointed if the prices are not very good. Head to eBay.

7. PsychProf

After doing some more exploring, I think that a 2740p is out of my price range (by the time I get an upgraded screen that is). This leaves me looking at a Lenovo X200t (nice small form factor and good screen, but the core 2 and no multitouch) or the Fujitsu T730 (bigger and heavier but newer processor, modular bay, and multitouch).

As lovelaptops mentioned, ebay seems to be a great place to try and get a sense of the price of these used machines.

For a while, I was tempted to go with the TM2T given the great deal right now; however, I just can get on board with HP consumer grade products after some bad experiences in the past.

8. PsychProf

Just snagged a 2730p off Ebay that is still under warranty until 2013. I am also pretty sure it has the hydris screen (will know for sure once it gets here), and it has 4GB of RAM. I am pretty excited to try this out. It was a low cost way to try out a Tablet and see if it is right for me.

Thanks again for all of the help. I'll be sure to post my experience.