Connecting to a VGA Projector

Discussion in 'HP Slate' started by Flaco05, May 1, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hattori Hanzo

Hattori Hanzo Scribbler - Standard Member

S-Video looks like crap because it has a very low bandwidth. Whether the adapter is built into a video card or external is not going to get around the inherent limitations of the signal itself.
    It's like whether to use an internal 54MBit mini PCIe wifi card or a 54MBit USB wifi adapter.

So let's hope those projectors are SVGA at best :D

Another possibility would be that there was a misunderstanding and he meant a component signal, the one that needs three RCA plugs. In this case the existence of good converters would make sense and you can actually expect a good result as component video isn't as inherently bandwidth limited as S-Video.

2. Flaco05

Flaco05 Pen Pal - Newbie

Well, all I need to project are powerpoint slides and pdf's, do I really do need powerful graphics. Let me see how it looks and I will report here. Another option I just ran into is a USB2 to VGA converter such as:

http://www.amazon.com/StarTech-Moni...UTF8&colid=3JAPRXZCUT0AX&coliid=ICP81FX894PWD

Amazon.com: Cables To Go 30540 USB 2.0 to VGA Adapter Cable (Black): Computers & Accessories

One of the reviwers reports that the second one works well with the ASUS Ep121 slate, so this may be a good solution.

3. ArtV

ArtV Happy Camper

I have been using a USB-VGA converter, very successfully, for some time with my HP Slate (and my Samsung Series 9 laptop, which is also sans-VGA port).

Primarily used to connect to an older LCD screen at home that does not have a HDMI port but also for connecting to projectors without the need for the dock - which makes presentations on the fly using the pen to write over the powerpoint presentation so much better.

The adapter I use is: USB to VGA adapter - KaiJet International Technology Limited (bought in Asia - not sure where it is available anymore)

4. e-schreiber

e-schreiber ƒ(x) / fashion Senior Member

The problem with S-VIDEO isn't primarily related to motion, but with resolution. Even a static PDF would look blurry. However, if you did mean Component (when you mentioned RCA), then an HDMI-Component converter could be used with good results. Between USB-VGA and HDMI-VGA converters, I really don't know which would yield the best results, but based on your links, they seem to go for approximately the same price. So you've got lots of options. :)

5. Hattori Hanzo

Hattori Hanzo Scribbler - Standard Member

No, you don't need powerful graphics.
    But you probably do not want your presentation to look like an old VHS tape, with everything being blurry, flickering on the edge of letters and you probably also want at least the colors halfway resembling those you chose in the document.

I'd definitely go for the USB-VGA device.