Connecting to a VGA Projector

Discussion in 'HP Slate' started by Flaco05, May 1, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Flaco05

Flaco05 Pen Pal - Newbie

Apologies if this has been addressed elsewhere. I did a search and could not find a precise answer. Anyhow, I need to output presentations (pptx, pdf) to a VGA projector. Do HDMI to VGA cables actually work? I have read mixed reviews about this. Are there other alternatives? Thank you in advance.

2. e-schreiber

e-schreiber ƒ(x) / fashion Senior Member

I haven't heard of "cables" that can do HDMI->VGA, but I've heard of converters that can do it. If you do find a solution for your problem, please come back and let us know. I am curious about this now.

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  3. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  4. e-schreiber

Like I said, I'm curious about it. So if anyone knows what-is-what on this subject, please enlighten me. My guess is that the "converter methods" to send HDMI to VGA (or the other way around) are reliable, whereas "cable methods" aren't. See what the Amazon page says about the first cable you listed:

5. Flaco05

Flaco05 Pen Pal - Newbie

HDMI to DVI seems to work generally well, as does DVI to VGA. My question is if the results would be better if we bridged these two conversions (with DVI as the go-between) to go from HDMI to VGA.

6. dgoodisi

dgoodisi Scribbler - Standard Member

Those DVI to VGA adapters are often the source of confusion. Those adapters only work because the DVI source port is sending both a digital and analog signal. DVI ports that are digital only have a slightly different pin-out that prevents those adapters from plugging in.

HDMI is digital only; there is no analog signal so an adapter will not work. Going from HDMI to DVI using an adapter will not create an analog signal for you.

Edit: HDMI can send both digital and analog. However those devices are very rare. The HP Slate is digital only out the HDMI port.

You can use a converter to change the digital signal into an analog VGA signal, but those are pricey.

I would recommend a USB external display card instead.

I use iogear's USB 2.0 External DVI Display Card. It's around $60 and the DVI port sends both digital and analog signals. You might need to separately purchase one of the above mentioned DVI->VGA adapters from Monoprice (around $2 US).

Last edited: May 7, 2012
  7. dgoodisi

dgoodisi Scribbler - Standard Member

Both of those cables are for the very rare devices that send a digital and analog signal out the source HDMI port.

The HP Slate, and every laptop/computer that I am aware of, is digital only out the HDMI port.

8. e-schreiber

I always wondered what was the point of those cables.... Great explanation on the whole HDMI/VGA/DVI compatibility!

9. Flaco05

Flaco05 Pen Pal - Newbie

Thank you. That is very informative. Someone in the AV department in my university tells me that going from HDMI to S-Video/RCA is actually easier (there are some good converters out there). Since our projectors have S-Video/RCA inputs as well, we are going to give this a try tomorrow. I will post the results....

10. e-schreiber

My old desktop had VGA and S-VIDEO outputs. The S-Video one was pretty bad (blurry and 4:3 only). The VGA output, on the other hand, looked great. I don't have experience with the type of converter you'll employ, but I guess it will look bad because the only thing that looks ok through S-VIDEO is a VHS tape. But I'm curious to hear your results, nonetheless. Perhaps an HDMI-SVIDEO converter can do something extra that my old ATI card couldn't. If your test doesn't turn out good, try the HDMI-VGA converters I linked to in my 2nd post.

Keep us updated. This information will help others in the future. :)