Connected Standby Discussion (was: Connected Standby battery drain issue)

Discussion in 'Dell' started by daver, May 22, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dirtyvu

dirtyvu Pen Pal - Newbie

I have both the Surface Pro 2 and the Surface RT. SP2 definitely DOES NOT HAVE CONNECTED STANDBY. In fact, that's one of the things I wished it had as I love Connected Standby on my Surface RT. And I've had zero problems with Connected Standby on the RT. Maybe because it's ARM and ARM processors have traditional support for Connected Standby? I don't know. But I just love plopping open the keyboard and being instantly in Windows on the RT. On my SP2, I have to hit the power button and it takes a couple of seconds to get into Windows.

2. rwerksman

rwerksman Scribbler - Standard Member

[​IMG]

On my SP3, CS works much, much better than the V11P. See the above chart - that is AFTER all of my applications have been installed. 1% per hour - acceptable, IMHO.

3. adz7777

adz7777 Pen Pal - Newbie

i have venue 11 pro atom model , i have just disabled connected standby (from registry)......

but now there is no sleep option when i go to power settings - choose what the power button does = i can only choose from do nothing , hibernate or shut down , there should be sleep option? but its not there.

i see turn off display , i have that set at 5 mins , but that is not sleep is it , if i leave the tablet for 5 mins and the display goes off - the tablet is not sleeping , when i tap the screen after 5 mins it just comes back on where i left off , ie was not sleeping.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2014
  4. Mikerman

Mikerman Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Nope, you're not imagining or missing things--if CS is disabled in the registry, you get back Hibernate but no "normal" Sleep. That's just the way it is, I understand. (This is what I found with my DV8P; I'm assuming it's the same with the DV11P.)

You might want to try it out, though--I found that Hibernate was incredibly quick to start up.

5. adz7777

adz7777 Pen Pal - Newbie

aah ok , i'll have to start using hibernate instead :) thankyou

6. adz7777

adz7777 Pen Pal - Newbie

Just did a test ...

Hibernate for 1 hour lost 0%!
    Screen off for 1 hour lost 4%! (not sleep)

so hibernate is good , i will use that now instead of sleep!

thankyou

7. Mikerman

Yep, that's to be expected, as when the tablet is in Hibernate, it's off (or near to it in power state), while when the screen alone is off, the tablet otherwise still is running. And so, how is your start-up time while using Hibernate?

8. adz7777

adz7777 Pen Pal - Newbie

Start up after hibernate is about 10 secs maybe less! it just comes back on where i left it which is fine , just like sleep really to me . what is your start up time or what is average?

9. Mikerman

Thanks. I'm back on Connected Standby right now, but when I had it disabled and used Hibernate, wake-up likewise was quick--I was very impressed. What I really liked was the fact that the display could be turned off without the tablet going to sleep--I still don't understand why that's not possible with Connected Standby.

10. Elvasoshexai

Elvasoshexai Pen Pal - Newbie

due to the issues with connected standby, i followed the steps in the prior post to disable it so that i get normal sleep / hibernate back. i have the slim keyboard.

In my power options, I've press power button to sleep, turn screen off after 5 min and sleep after 10.

once the screen goes off (after waiting 5min) i can't turn it back on with the keyboard or the button, i have to close the keyboard and open it. how do i fix this? same thing when i just press the power button. can't resume unless i close / reopen keyboard

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.