Connected Standby battery drain issue

Discussion in 'Dell' started by next_milenium, Jan 7, 2014.

1. rwerksman

rwerksman Scribbler - Standard Member

Well, I've partially resolved the issue. I would leave it docked in the slim keyboard overnight. Not doing so last night resulted in a 11% drain over roughly 7 hours. I have a very recent version that I believe has the 'patch' for the keyboard disconnect built into the image. More testing is warranted...

2. MrPhilo

MrPhilo Pen Pal - Newbie

New WiFi Drivers was released last week, it improves power consumption, my standby drain is only around 4 - 6 % after 8 hour sleep

3. dnardz

dnardz Pen Pal - Newbie

Here's my average drain after fixing Connected Standby problem with latest patches, drivers, and A05 update.
    Screenshot (10).jpg

Only 10% of battery drain after more than 22 hours in standby mode..very happy so far.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2014
  4. next_milenium

next_milenium Scribbler - Standard Member

Which version of Venue pro do you have?

My 7130 i5 version still suffers from 2-3% battery drain during connected standby.

This weekend, I'll try to disable CS and see if that helps.

5. daver

daver Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I believe that Wifi driver update was only for the DV8P

6. rwerksman

Is there any update here? My 7130 4G is still crushing battery in CS. :(

7. rwerksman

Just a follow up on my last post, I contacted Dell Support this morning and after a surprisingly good discussion, my Venue will get a replacement motherboard. I don't expect this to correct the issue whatsoever.

Battery drain, despite what I do is north of 2000 mah per hour. The only way to correct it is to force hibernation or shut down and suffer the long wait for start up. Everything is up-to-date on the PC and it's running a plain Jane restored OS with all of the windows updates.

It's really quite disappointing. Needless to say, I don't believe that we're going to be deploying these to our attorneys any time soon. I (as the IT Director) can't even deal with it when I force myself to use it. :(

8. FZelle

FZelle Scribbler - Standard Member

Long Boot Times?
    Mine is up un ~10 Seconds.

The problem with your device is, you are using the I5 device, and 4G.
    Both together are not really working well in CS.

9. rwerksman

Boot times are relative. Take from bag, hit the button, it's a tablet so I expect it to spring right to life. Under hibernate, it's a good 10-15 seconds. When I was at TechEd last week, this annoyed me to no end.

It's actually the i3 + 4G.

10. daver

daver Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

It's not really a tablet. That's a very hazy grey area these days. It has a tablet's form factor, but it's basically a full computer. Windows 8 is, unfortunately, nothing like Android or iOS in terms of standby/sleep functionality. Connected Standby is a problem for all Windows 8 machines right now, not just this model. Even the go-to machine, the Surface Pro 2, has problems with Connected Standby draining the battery. The problem is less obvious for devices running on Bay Trail because they simply don't use as much power to start with.

Keep in mind that Connected Standby doesn't actually put your machine to sleep. It's a pseudosleep where the system hits the S0 state, which is basically "everything's still running in an idle state with the screen off". It makes the machine wake up significantly faster (almost instant-on), but at the same time it also means that you're basically just leaving the machine running with the screen off. It's a trade off.

Since disabling Connected Standby, my battery drain during normal S3 Sleep has gone down to about 2% per hour. That's pretty acceptable to me, as I set my machine to hibernate after 2 hours of sleeping. When I played with S0 Connected Standby I saw as high as 10-15% drain per hour.

(I also have the i3 7130)

Last edited: May 21, 2014