Connected Standby battery drain issue

Discussion in 'Dell' started by next_milenium, Jan 7, 2014.

1. next_milenium

next_milenium Scribbler - Standard Member

I'm sure this topic has been beaten to death by now but I wanted to start a new thread to discuss my findings.

Last night my Venue 11 Pro i5 model drained 30% battery over 5 hrs of connected standby. That's about 6% per hour. To me that is very excessive and prevents me from putting the tablet to sleep over night (forcing me to do a shutdown every night to save battery).

So, I did a sleep study (run command prompt as administrator and run 'powercfg /sleepstudy'. This shows a detailed power usage during connected standby.

On my case, there really wasn't anything that stood out that would indicate something was actively draining the battery. So I'm lost and confused and can't figure out why the battery drain is so high. Don't get me wrong. I don't expect the several month long standby time of an ipad. But I expect the this tablet to drain maybe 5% overnight. That would be acceptable.

Cs1.jpg
    Cs2.PNG

2. next_milenium

Ok, so I think I have narrowed down the cause of my tablet not being able to sleep properly.

When I run 'powercfg /requests', I get

SYSTEM:
    [DRIVER] Realtek High Definition Audio (HDAUDIO\FUNC_01&VEN_10EC&DEV_0885&SUBSYS
    _1458A102&REV_1001\4&730555e&0&0201)
    An audio stream is currently in use.

Basically the audio driver is not letting my tablet go to sleep.

Anyone know of a way to solve this issue? Thanks.

3. next_milenium

Update:

I went into device manager and disabled 'High Definition Audio Device' under 'Sound, video and game controllers'.

Now when I run the powercfg /request command, there is no 'An audio stream is currently in use'.

Of course not I don't have sound but I'll test the battery drain in connected standby this way. It'll be interesting to see...

4. jyan_osu

jyan_osu Scribbler - Standard Member

I thought the i5 didn't support connected standby and neither does Windows 8 64bit.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk

5. next_milenium

I thought so too but found out and confirmed by Dell rep the i5 version supports connected standby.

6. rwerksman

rwerksman Scribbler - Standard Member

Only 32 bit Windows supports connected standby. That's why you see all the Bay Trail tablets with 2 GB of ram.

7. next_milenium

Well, Brian (Dell representative) over at the Dell official forum confirmed that the 7130 i5 models support connected standby.
    I can also see connected standby is supported if I check using 'powercfg /batteryreport'.

8. next_milenium

OK, I have the initial results of my battery drain on connected standby AFTER I disabled my audio drivers.

My battery went from 79% to 76% in 2 hrs 35 mins. So this is significantly less than the usual 3-6% per hour drain I saw before I disabled the audio drivers.

I can tell immediately there is less drain because the back of tablet is cold to the touch right now after hours of standby where as before I could feel some warmth on the back of the tablet right under the rear camera lens.

Now I have to find a way to enable the audio drivers without disrupting connected standby.

9. jyan_osu

jyan_osu Scribbler - Standard Member

10. next_milenium

I understand your point but I think the mainstream has i3 and i5 versions. The vpro is a different chip designed for business users with fingerprint reader etc.

Also, when I use 'powercfg /batteryreport', it says "Supported" next to "Connected Standby".