Connect tablet PC to home PC?

Discussion in 'The Tablet PC Life' started by fysloc, Aug 19, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fysloc

fysloc Pen Pal - Newbie

Quick question:

Is there a way to connect the tablet PC to the home computer and use the pen input? (ie. act as a tablet for the home computer)

I want to do this because my home computer is much more powerful than my tablet PC and I prefer to use that computer when using photoshop with all my settings and presets and addons there, instead of unhooking the monitor and connecting to tablet pc and going that way.

2. singisumina

singisumina Pen Pal - Newbie

The only thing that I can think of that's remotely like what you're trying to do is to download the Extended Desktop Powertoy from Microsoft. It's meant to be used on XP but I've installed it on my Win7 anyway.

Microsoft PowerToys for Windows XP Tablet PC Edition

Aside from that, I can't see how else to do this, but perhaps someone else has an idea! Hope that helps :)

3. thatcomicsguy

thatcomicsguy Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

I did a quick Google around to see how this might be achieved.

There are several examples of software out there which might be able to take mouse input from one computer, (in this case, your penabled Tablet PC) and mirror it on another computer. But this doesn't use the computing power of the Desktop PC; it just uses the computing power of the Tablet PC.

It did look in one case as though it could be achieved with the addition of a second piece of software in conjunction with a mirroring system which allows for remote access of a desktop, but that second piece of software wanted to use the internet/modem communication ports. It looked pretty counter-efficient and only theoretically possible.

It would be pretty cool, (albeit, redundant), to have a Wacom tablet for controlling a desktop computer screen but which also came fitted with it's own screen. That'd be weird and interesting to use.

Also, a feature to turn a tablet PC into a Cintiq-like system would also be really handy and probably not hard to write. What a concept! You could buy a cheap 12" tablet PC from eBay for a hundred bucks, install the (non-existent but plausible) software, and essentially have a poor-man's 12" Cintiq hitched up to your Desktop.

Neat.

Does anybody know how to code?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.