Confused about which Samsung convertible to get

Discussion in 'Samsung' started by ChaosMageX, Sep 30, 2019.

1. ChaosMageX

ChaosMageX Pen Pal - Newbie

There are so many to choose from that I'm confused.

Which ones still have ports other than USB-C?

I absolutely hate laptops that only have USB-C and nothing else because you basically can't use them without expansion dongles, which can get rather expensive and there's no guarantee those dongles will even work. Apparently USB-C still isn't completely standardized yet.

Which ones still have passive digitizer pens that don't need to be charged and can be stored in a little garage that's part of the laptop?

I prefer passive digitizers because:
    - I don't have to keep the stylus charged.
    - I can turn off the touch screen without losing digitizer support for drawing, which is good because the touch screen gives false positives from my skinny bony fingers and creates artifacts in my drawings and disrupts any smooth pen strokes I'm making.
    - Passive digitizers often come with garages built into the laptop for storing the stylus, so there's less risk of losing it.

I can't just go by "is it Wacom or not" anymore because apparently Wacom makes both passive and active technologies and I don't know which is which. I've been out of the loop a little too long when it comes to shopping for Tablet PCs. The last time I looked for one was a decade ago, and now I want to retire my aging Gateway C-140XL and get something more modern. We seem to now be in a golden age of Tablet PCs thanks to the Microsoft Surface, but now there's so much to choose from I'm having trouble.

I've narrowed it down to Samsung because they are field serviceable and they still have some models with passive digitizers while most brands seem to just have active digitizers.

There seems to be a bunch of different Samsung Tablet PCs that all seem to be lumped into either the "Pen" or "Pro" groups, but I need to specific Model Codes for the ones that still have passive digitizers and data ports that I can actually use with my current flash drives without having to buy converters or new flash drives.

Also, can you get service manuals with disassembly instructions and replacement part serial numbers for any Samsung Tablet PCs?

Last edited: Sep 30, 2019