Confused about pricing...

Discussion in 'Lenovo (IBM)' started by Some random guy, Feb 14, 2021.

1. Some random guy

Some random guy Pen Pal - Newbie

Because my Surface Pro 4 apparently doesn't recognize its own SSD anymore, I'm in need of a new laptop. The new Thinkpads look nice! However, the pricing on the website is nowhere near what it was supposed to be when they were announced.

The X1 Titanium Yoga was supposed to start at $1899. On the website it's like $2900.
    The X12 Tablet was supposed to start at $1149. On the website it's about $1700.

So what's the deal with the massive difference in price because what they announced during the press release and what's on the website that was posted a few weeks later?

2. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

probably the configurations, like the base price was probably based off an 128GB SSD and an i3, where as the more expensive prices are probably 1TB/ i7, etc. See if there’s a customize option, and you might be able to spec it down to reach your price,

Also Lenovo typically favors business clients first, it’s possible the lower priced configuration could have sold out.

nnthemperor likes this.
  3. ibmthink

ibmthink Scribbler - Standard Member

Pricing on the website =! announced pricing.

The prices on their website are not attached to the list-prices. This often results in ThinkPads being much more affordable on Lenovo's website (compared with retailers) due to large discounts, but it can also result in much higher prices.

ThinkPads are often way more expensive on the Lenovo US site in the first few weeks of availability, before any discounts kick in. I think the X1 Titanium is already discounted a lot in their perks-program.

For the announced pricing: Look at retail-prices of the entry level models.

PROVANTAGE: Lenovo 20QA000PUS X1 Titanium Yoga, Windows 10 Professional, I5,8GB, 256GB, 3-Year

Lenovo ThinkPad X12 Datach G1 (20UW000KUS) (connection.com)

If you want to buy it from the Lenovo site, wait a little bit longer.

dellaster and nnthemperor like this.
  4. Some random guy

Ah okay, but I still think it's weird to wrap my head around. I mean, I can understand a retailer not selling it for the same price, but I'd imagine the company that produces and sells the product would sell it for the same price that they say it's supposed to sell for. Guess I'll have to wait.

5. dellaster

dellaster Non-Creative Plebe Senior Member

And the wait is over. The base model is now just under $1100 on Lenovo’s site. https://www.lenovo.com/us/en/laptops/thinkpad/thinkpad-x/X12-Detachable-G1/p/22TPX12X2D1

JoeS likes this.
  6. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

dellaster likes this.
  7. Some random guy

Sweet! Thanks for the update. Not a bad price.