Confused about modular bay...

Discussion in 'Fujitsu' started by RobertB628, Jul 26, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RobertB628

RobertB628 Pen Pal - Newbie

I'm going to be getting a tablet for school and at home. I want the tablet to be as light as possible, because I will be carrying it around at school. I also want it to have a long battery life and it has to have a DVD drive.

I'm on the Fujitsu page and I'm customizing a T4210, and it's confusing me. It talks about an optical drive (DVD/CD player/burner) and a modular bay battery. Are these interchangable or do you have to pick one or the other? :confused:

If someone could reply and shed a little light on this, I'd really appreciate it.

-Rob

2. DragonFly

DragonFly Pen Pal - Newbie

They are interchangeable. I believe the T4210 also comes with a weightsaver, so you don't have to fill that slot up and save on the weight.

3. RobertB628

Well even if they're interchangable, there were two types of batteries listed on the customization page. Which do you think I should get? I don't really get the difference.

4. DragonFly

One type of battery is the main battery that goes in the battery slot, and the other one is the modular bay battery that will fit in the modular bay slot.

The modular bay slot houses one device of your choosing: a battery, an optical drive, or the weight saver. The advantage of this system is that you can combine the modular bay battery and the main battery for increased battery performance, with the tradeoff being increased weight (compared to weight saver) or no optical drive.

You'd probably want to go with at least the main battery.

5. RobertB628

To change the battery, would you have to shut down the machine, then switch the battery and then boot it up again?

6. DragonFly

If you are referring to the modular bay slot, I believe it is hot swappable (I haven't received my T4210 yet, it should be here in a day or two!)

As to switching out the main battery with another main battery, I have the feeling that without the Modular Bay Battery powering the laptop, you'd have to shut it down to change it. Of course, I hope a more experienced user can confirm this.

7. PYROTAK

PYROTAK Scribbler - Standard Member

From hearsay I think the main is warm swappable, so if thats the only battery in, you can change it when the computer is in standby, provided that you do the swap pretty quickly.

8. P8RSON

P8RSON Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Correct on all accounts....
    Whilst the tablet is in full use you can slide out the modular bay battery and insert the DVDRW drive,
    However, if there is no modular bay battery in the machine and you want to change the main battery you can only do this at standby and make it quick.....

If your going to ask which additional battery should I get, there is only one vaible answer to this:- the modular bay type..... At least you can change it whilst fully operational.

9. rob1116

rob1116 Scribbler - Standard Member

I agree... go for the modular bay battery.

With this, you have all the options. If you are going to a class for a couple of hours, you probably aren't going to need a DVD drive, and you aren't going to need much battery power... so put the weight saver in (the weight saver is just a blanking plate to cover the modular bay), and you've got a light machine. If you are going to a couple of classes and you know you are going to need more than a few hours of battery, but probably won't need a DVD, just stick the modular bay battery in and you're good to go for 7+ hours. When you are at home and want to install some stuff or burn a disc, you can slide the DVD drive back into the modular bay.

And of course, if you are unsure of what you are going to need... you can just stick the weight saver in and bring the bay battery and DVD drive with you in your backpack. As has been said, the DVD drive, weight saver, and modular bay battery can all be switched "hot" (while the computer is running).

If you get the extra main battery, you don't have the option of putting it in before hand, and you have to either shut the tablet down ("cold" swap) to install the new battery, or put the tablet in standby mode ("warm" swap) and switch it fairly quickly.

10. RobertB628

Thanks every one for clearing that up! Now, does anyone know of a way to get a student discount for it? I didn't see anything about it on the Fujitsu website, but I did the math and its a saving of over 100 dollars, so I think that I should get it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.