Confused about HP tablet series

Discussion in 'What Tablet PC Should I Buy?' started by fldrice, Jun 9, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dalvi

Dalvi Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi,

I posted a message about what should I buy, however I have this thing about HP tablets that bugs me.

Initially I thought that the history goes like this (from a certain moment in time at least):
    tx1000z, tx2000, tx2500z, tx2640, tx2z

However, I found tx2640z to be cheaper than tx2500z while having very similar specs (CPU also).
    I also found a tx1000z claiming (note the bolded specs):
    - HP Pavilion tx1000z
    - AMD Turion(TM) 64 X2 Dual-Core Mobile Technology TL-64 (2.2 GHz, 512KB+512KB L2 Cache )
    - 12.1" WXGA High-Definition HP BrightView Widescreen Display(1280 x 800) with Integrated Touch-screen
    - 2GB DDR2 System Memory (2 Dimm)!
    - NVIDIA(R) GeForce(R) Go 6150 w/ 256Mb RAM
    - HP Imprint Finish + Fingerprint Reader + Webcam + Microphone
    - Wireless LAN 802.11a/b/g/n and Bluetooth
    - 160GB 5400RPM
    - LightScribe SuperMulti 8X DVD+/-RW with Double Layer Support
    - remote control in the Express Card slot
    - 4 Cell and 6 Cell Lithium Ion Batteries

How are these 5 tablets ordered in terms of performance afterall?

I also don't get the elitebook 2730p (I know this is business as opposed to the above which is consumer tablet) which is more expensive while having lower specs and admittedly better design. I know it supports more memory but this shouldn't justify the price difference.

If someone could enlighten me, I'd much appreciate it.

2. DRTigerlilly

DRTigerlilly Tablet Lead Mod (Retired) Super Moderator

its likely the tx2600 was a model created to clear inventory of older parts such as the nvidia go 6150 that was used in the tx1000/2000 models and that fact could likely contribute to its cheaper price. (Also bear in mind the nvidia 6150 cards/ chipset, had build/quality issues, that contributed to a high hardware failure rate in these models)

The processor is also an older model with less cache, slower bus etc

The tx2500 & tx2 use a newer hybrid graphics card the ati radeon hd3200.

The elitebook is more expensive, b/c it uses an intel processor (the LV models are actually faster than the amd processors in tests to calculate pi, even though clocked/rated lower, and has better heat ouput/management), and has better construction than the tx models...the tx models are plasticky...the elitebooks are made out of some metal alloy.

3. Dalvi

Dalvi Pen Pal - Newbie

Thanks for the info, drtigerlilly, that made sense.

However, what do you think about that tx1000z specs? I thought the series was discontinued and yet those look very modern.

4. miner

miner Scribbler - Standard Member

The tx2640(any tx26__ model) and the tx2500(any tx25__ model) belong to the same series. They just have different specifications and price points.

Anyways heres the breakdown of the basic differences between the various tx series...
    tx1000 - Turion TL series cpu + Nvidia 6150 graphics + touch screen(oldest)
    tx2000 - Turion TL series cpu + Nvidia 6150 graphics + Wacom + touch screen
    tx2500 - Turion RM/ZM series + ATi HD3200 graphics + Wacom +touch screen
    tx2 - Turion RM/ZM series + ATi HD3200 graphics + nTrig multi-touch screen (latest)

If you are considering the tx series then look for the tx2500/tx2600 or the tx2 series. The tx1000/tx2000 have had problems with failing Nvidia hardware in them.

5. DRTigerlilly

all the tx models use more or less the same chassis. (There are slight modifications in the size of the tx2500 & tx2's chassis, as they have different motherboards) They more or less all look the same but they are not, as miner outlined...though for the tx2 its not ntrig +multitouch...the ntrig IS multitouch.

The similarities between the tx2500 & tx2600 are that they share the wacom active & passive/resistive, but they seem to use the older graphics and processors of the tx1000 & tx2000.

If you need pressure sensitivity for your work...look for a tx2500 model, they are no longer sold directly from HP, but you might be able to get them from other retailers.

If you don't need pressure sensitivity then the tx2 would be a good choice for you.

As miner outlined, i'd stay away from any of the tx models that use the Nvidia graphics/chipset b/c of the hardware issues these models had.

6. adam.mt

adam.mt Super Moderator Senior Member

Correct. Basically the TX2500 and TX2600 are the same, just minor model differences (eg cpu, memory and hdd installed; bluetooth or not etc).

Your actually wrong on that point. I guess you were confused by the original post mentioning the TX2640 and listing some model specs (cause you also got it wrong on your first answer). The specs listed were actually for a TX1000 machine! Easy enough to misread and guess we should all forgive you since it's extremely rare you make a mistake! :)

So Miner is bag on and your original assumption Dalvi is indeed right:
    "Initially I thought that the history goes like this (from a certain moment in time at least):
    tx1000z, tx2000, tx2500z, tx2640, tx2z"

(in order of age and ability; worst/oldest to best/newest)

7. DRTigerlilly

i made the assumption based on the specs the OP posted. I have always thought the tx2600's were the same as the tx2500's, but based on the specs of the models he posted that might not be the case. I didn't check the model number to specs on hp's site myself.

8. adam.mt

adam.mt Super Moderator Senior Member

That's what I thought Drtigerlilly :) ; the original post (repeated below) was easy to get confused with, ie. it mentions tx2640z compared to tx2500z and then lists the specs for the "tx1000z"!
    (the tx2500 and tx2600 are indeed basically the same)

9. DRTigerlilly

didn't even catch it till just now, i need to sleep :p

10. fldrice

fldrice Pen Pal - Newbie

The 2710p and the 2730p are much lighter and thinner than the consumer models. They both have LED backlit displays encased in a magnesium rollcage. Unlike the consumer models, the 2710/2730p are both based on intel chipsets and processors which are more efficient in terms of heat, battery life, and performance (Higher MHZ doesn't necessarily equate to better performance). Additionally, the business tablets come with 2-day turnaround repair service.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.