Configure the amount of memory on HD3200 graphics?

Discussion in 'Hewlett Packard' started by Bernok, Oct 14, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bobbler

bobbler Pen Pal - Newbie

HP TX2520ea

Well after my problem with the lack of tablet functionality the other day I rolled back using system restore and ever since then I was getting two or three blue screens a session. At first I thought I had a proper hardware fault but after they started to become random codes I decided to rebuild instead.
    So what I have done is a complete scratch rebuild of the latop using my Vista cd onto another hard disk.
    All has gone fine, no more crashes at all, but one thing that puzzles me is how the memory has changed. I have 4GB of RAM installed and under the HP install it always showed as 4GB of RAM being available in system properties. Now after reinstall I just see 2.8GB left with the rest apparently assigned to the graphics card !
    The BIOS shows that the 4GB is present and it correctly tests with the inbuilt diags and a Memtest cd, so I am sure its working.

What I would like though is to find out how to adjust the memory allocation that the graphics card has, there is no reason for it to have 1.5GB allocated on the graphics for non-games playing so would like it back if possible. I cannot find any adjustments in Bios, ATI drivers (both the HP ones they have and the latest ones on ATI site at the mo) or anything else. I get the impression its a driver or install that HP do but they don't offer it for download

Attached Files:

2. DRTigerlilly

DRTigerlilly Tablet Lead Mod (Retired) Super Moderator

Normally this is done in the bios, but you might not has as much control as allocating the 1gb of memory or not, I think that is done @ the OS Level dependent on need.

one of the tx2500 users can guide you through the specifics of the process.

3. miner

miner Scribbler - Standard Member

Do you have SP1 installed? is the new build 32bit or 64bit?

4. bobbler

bobbler Pen Pal - Newbie

Its 32bit Vista (Home Premium). I assumed SP1 had been installed by Windows Update, but is not listed so just downloading and installing that now.

5. DRTigerlilly

DRTigerlilly Tablet Lead Mod (Retired) Super Moderator

32 bit OS' can only use 3gb. only a 64 bit OS can use 4gb. I'm not sure if that is actually how much assigned to your card & more inclined to think that its about 256mb shared w/ the graphics card.

6. bobbler

bobbler Pen Pal - Newbie

Ah I see now.
    Vista SP1 "fixes" the issue I had, but this is basically cosmetic as 32-bit Vista can only use up to 3GB of it directly.
    So I am actually still getting the same amount of physical ram available but its just reported differently?

Looking at the change in the memory allocation in the system properties is interesting though as it has changed completely (see attached)

Its also interesting to note the difference in Windows Performance Info since I went to 4GB from 3GB as there was a definite boost in rating there, even if we are saying that Vista 32bit cannot use it - it still had a direct effect on the scoring.

Attached Files:

7. miner

miner Scribbler - Standard Member

Yeah, Microsoft decided to change the way Windows reports the available RAM in SP1. Before they used to show what was available for windows to use but after SP1 its the installed amount of RAM.

8. Bams

Bams Bunnie's Baby

Not to rehash an old post but I was searching for this same issue. What was the final verdict? Is there no way to manually adjust it then? Vista just handles it for me?

9. Bernok

Bernok Scribbler - Standard Member

I know this is a little off-topic, but I thought I'd share this info here.

You can force Vista 32bit to use past 3GB of ram by enabling Page Address Extension (PAE) if you have a 64bit processor like the tx2500z, however this is limited to up to 4GB. If you want to use more than 4GB you need to upgrade to Vista 64bit or Linux.

How to enable Page Address Extension (PAE)?
    • Open Command Prompt as an Administrator. (Start Menu -> Search: 'cmd' -> Right Click -> Run as Administrator)
    • Type: BCDedit /set pae forceenable press [ENTER]
    • Restart your computer.
    • Vista should now recognize your full 4GB of memory.

What's the downside?
    Vista requires some extra work to use the extra memory addresses added by PAE, so you need to decide if the extra memory is worth the extra overhead. When it comes to programs that are not very "memory-hungry", enabling PAE may only slow down your computer.

How do I disable PAE?
    • Open Command Prompt as an Administrator.
    • Type: BCDedit /set PAE forcedisable press [ENTER]
    • Restart your computer.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.