Computer game addiction could lead to divorce

Discussion in 'Off Topic Chat' started by pigeontongue, Jul 30, 2018.

1. pigeontongue

pigeontongue Pen Pal - Newbie

I thought computer game addiction is for teenagers only but I was wrong. A close friend of mine is asking help if she is supposed to divorce her husband who is so addicted to computer games to the point that he is neglecting his responsibilities. She tried talking to him but to no avail.

What advice could I give her?

2. Mark Gonzales

Mark Gonzales Pen Pal - Newbie

This is actually very serious! Have you tried communicating with your friend's husband?

3. pigeontongue

True, and I wanted to talk to him, but looking for the right timing and right words to tell. But also I want to encourage my friend. There may be other solutions besides divorcing.

I can't think of other venue but to post here and get advice from those who experienced the same.

4. Kumabjorn

Kumabjorn ***** is back Senior Member

Not to sound ominous but addiction is addiction.
    Doesn't really matter what the addiction is, it will take over that person's life.
    My mother was addicted to alcohol. I believe they are called high functional alcoholics in English. Did what was expected of her, but once those chores was finished it was whiskey all the time. Only time she became unruly was if there was no whiskey, but then all hell broke lose. And she lived in complete denial until two years before she passed away. Told me that I was right, yes she was an alcoholic, but she was ok with that. Never a thought on how it affected the rest of us.

Your friend needs to be prepared for that strain if she is willing to stay married.
    Me?
    First sign of any addiction and I'm out of Dodge. Seen it up close and once is enough.

WillAdams likes this.
  5. pigeontongue

I told my friend to leave his husband, but if she really wanted to stay in the marriage she has to work harder to make it work and also consider undergoing counseling to make his husband realize at least how his addiction is ruining their relationship. But that would take a lot of convincing.

6. Kumabjorn

Kumabjorn ***** is back Senior Member

All addictions are self diagnosed diseases. Unless the "patient" sees himself/herself as sick they will never get out from under it. For every argument family and friends comes up with they have three rationalizations. That is why a shock to their system is required. Dr. Phil calls it "tough love" but it all boils down to the same issue. If there aren't (severe) consequences for their behavior they won't stop it. The endorfins are simply too strong a motivation to carry on.

7. pigeontongue

Learned a lot from him