Competitve Surface Pro pen

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by daddyfish, Mar 22, 2021.

1. daddyfish

daddyfish Scribbler - Standard Member

Renaisser Stylus
    Same pen tips as Surface pen, tilt support, magnets, same bluetooth button functionalityl For lower price apparently, build-in battery and 2 buttons like older Surface Pro had for quick erasing. Oztabletpc youtuber talks about it:

Seems like a great alternative.

2. dellaster

dellaster “Content Consuming Child” Senior Member

I have one for my SP4. Works great. Renaisser has been discussed here and there on this forum, but is worth mentioning again. :thumbsup:

http://forum.tabletpcreview.com/threads/surface-pen-vs-renaisser-comparsion.75358/

Last edited: Mar 23, 2021
  3. daddyfish

, nice, maybe I will buy one too if my current pen fails one day.
    I should add that there is a newer version which does have the Bluetooth button (/3 macro's) while the older version lacks that.

sonichedgehog360 and dellaster like this.
  4. sonichedgehog360

sonichedgehog360 AKA Hifihedgehog Senior Member

What’s cool too is they even have one that supports both MPP and Apple Pencil protocol. This is a really nice option for people with both an iPad and a Surface (or any other MPP/N-Trig device, for that matter):

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08M33HWNY/

daddyfish and dellaster like this.
  5. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

I'd be hesitant about how well it would perform on a iPad. Apple doesn't allow its Pencil Protocol out in the same manner that Microsoft allows theirs. Even the logitech pencil doesn't have pressure sensitivity. As is, there are no shortage of Pencil knockoffs, so I'd imagine with this product, the Apple Pencil compatibility is probably achieved thru other means, and likely wouldn't perform as well as the real deal.

sonichedgehog360 likes this.
  6. dellaster

True, they do state: “Raphael Duo supports 1024 level of pressure sensitivity on the Surface series. *No pressure sensitivity and tilt function on iPad.” I think it might be an option for annotating and notes if someone carries around both an iPad and Surface Pro for that purpose... wait, isn’t that a microscopic niche? :eek:

daddyfish and sonichedgehog360 like this.
  7. sonichedgehog360

sonichedgehog360 AKA Hifihedgehog Senior Member

I have the same thoughts. The proof is in the using. The reviews seeming overwhelmingly positive, though, with the topmost one saying it is “surprisingly good on both iPad and Surface Pro 7.”

I mean, I accidentally stumbled on it a week or two ago when I was looking for a stylus for the Pepper Jobs OLED monitor I recently got in. It’s a head scratcher for sure because it target audiences probably accounts for the niche of the niche of tablet enthusiasts, so what, a few thousand at most? It is nice to know they bothered to do it and even executed it very well, though (based on what the reviews are mostly saying, anyway).

dellaster likes this.
  8. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

I've had one for years (so, the older style), but I seldom use it because of the need to charge it first. However, I recall that I was pleased with its writing performance and the (then) lack of the BlueTooth button didn't bother me at all. The weight distribution and the feel in the hand was likewise pleasing also. If you don't mind its (few) quirks, I think you'll like it.

PS: Interestingly, I found that it didn't necessarily make a good back-up pen, again because of the need to recharge it. It was always dead when I picked it up...

daddyfish likes this.
  9. daddyfish

, yeah from that perspective I think I would prefer replaceable batteries too. It seems better as a primary pen with possibly a charge cable or other pen as backup. Also not sure how fast that Li-ion battery will decay, that might be more costly in the long run compared to eg a Surface pen.

10. dellaster

Hm, perhaps there are quality issues with Renaisser batteries? I rarely use mine, especially now that I have the Boox 8” e-ink EMR inker, so it’s been at least 4 months since I last pressed the power button on the SP4’s Renaisser, six months since its last charge, I think. Curious, I tried it just now. It works fine. I do wish Windows had battery indicators for BT devices, like iOS. Since there’s no way to tell how much charge it still has it’s now plugged in.