Comparison of Win 8.1, Win 7 and Ubuntu 13.10 for the x230t.

Discussion in 'Lenovo (IBM)' started by AndreR, Nov 30, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AndreR

AndreR Scribbler - Standard Member

ron2k_1 :
    You would definitely notice if you had the sound issue or not. You would constantly lose the sound, and would have to reboot the computer several times each day. But every unit does not have this problem as you can read in the quotes above.

Some of the problems have been dealt with time, if I can remember it correctly. I heard that the ghosting with the IPS-panel might depend on when you got the computer, since Lenovo (rumor) changed the IPS type after several complaints. I do not have the other problems you mention either.

testplayer
    No, I haven't. Windows 8.1 could also have very big problems with battery life on some computers, where some computers will it take away ~70% of the battery life. You can find something called "System Interrupts" in the Task Manager, which sometimes is the reason for extremely high power consumption. It's ok with my unit, but the computer runs hot and loud, and even gives away a smell of burnt material when watching a lot of Youtube! This is not the case at all with Windows 7 or Ubuntu 13.10.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2013
  2. Steve B

Steve B Moderator Moderator

What's the story on the ghosting, Andre? You mean when you have a residual image left over, after you put a new one up, right? I'm not getting that, but I do get a sort of "purple trail" that follows the pen around and then disappears if I press hard. I'm sort of imagining this has something to do with the screen tech nowadays, as I've been using a 3-year old machine that doesn't do this at all. It's odd, but I suppose I'll get used to it (or press lighter!). There's so much else to like about the device.

Is anyone else experiencing this?

3. ron2k_1

ron2k_1 calibuchi Senior Member

I have a lil rainbow following my pen too. But the trail is only 1/4" to 1/2" (the most) and it disappears instantly.

The ghosting is easily reproduced. Use Firefox, Chrome or whatever for 1/2 hr or so and then open Sketchbook or anything with a clear UI and a white canvas and you'll see the browser UI and tabs still imprinted on the screen. I don't experience that yet but I've read it disappears after 10 mins or so tho.

Swiped from my Galaxy Note 2 using Tapatalk

Last edited: Dec 7, 2013
  4. Steve B

Yeah, your description is about right. It's like a little purple rainbow trail behind the pen, if I press hard. Goes away in a second. That wasn't there on my x200t, so perhaps it uses a different screen tech. I'm not getting the ghosting, personally.

I did a fresh install of Win7 on this, and other than the issue I have with edge accuracy sucking for the pen, the device is a dream. The pen's still wonderful, of course, pressure sensitive, etc. but I had to spend over a 1/2 hour "tricking" the calibration into semi-accuracy in the corners. The top two are pretty bad, but I'm used to following the cursor, not the pen tip. The center and the sides are fine. It's a legit crit of the device, but I've had enough tablet pc's to know each one has its little issues, and considering that this one is now utterly silent, with a silent fan, a fantastic keyboard, trackpoint, great outdoor viewable screen, good built quality, and good battery life, powerful cpu, lots of ram, a pen silo, plus it has Wacom .... well, I'll accept the imperfections.

5. ron2k_1

ron2k_1 calibuchi Senior Member

My SSD is here and the fun begins. I didn't want to install anything permanent on the factory HDD cause it was going to be removed anyways so I waited.

I created a recovery media on a flash drive and did a factory restore (Win 7) on the brand new SSD. All drivers and Windows updates are finished and will install the creative suite of apps later on. I'll buy ArtRage probably this weekend as I see you Steve having so much fun with it (I'll try the AR toolbar too).

I'm seeing some funkiness with the Power Manager software that I didn't have before but I can live with it. No other issues. And the lil colorful trail of colors that follow my pen is not bothering me at all as it dissipates instantly as the pen moves. Have you tried the pen at lower brightness (e.g. 8 ) and without the power plug and see if the color trail issue decreases? The edge pen drift is also worst when the x230t is connected to power.

Did you install any of the Lenovo software? I did a factory restore and I'm not too sure what to delete.

Swiped from my Galaxy Note 2 using Tapatalk

6. Steve B

I just did a clean install Windows 7 on x230t yesterday!! I followed this guide, or atleast used it as a starting point. I installed my Ethernet driver manually from a USB, then the Thinkvantage System Update. This was incredibly useful. It installs all the drivers for you. I chose not to include the Power Manager and the Thinkvantage Communications something-something (it finds wifi links, etc), both of which I don't like.

Honestly, it was a breeze. Ultra Nav was surprisingly important for track point usage. Got a few things to go over still, etc. but it's a good starting point.

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  7. madmarcus

madmarcus Pen Pal - Newbie

Your battery life info makes me want to buy a new win 8 tablet and revert to win 7. Now I have HW to do to find out the disadvantages.

8. AndreR

I do not have the purple trail. Have never heard of this before. I know that Win 8.1 have a trail-feature enabled for the touch input, which you can turn off.

The ghosting is the old image still present when switching image. I will still have my web-browser visible when I create an black image in Photoshop, but disappears within some seconds.

9. Steve B

The disappearing purple trail only occurs if I press hard with the pen. When I'm trying to get full pressure while drawing it occurs. Lags about a second behind the pen. You don't have this at all?

I wonder if its a defect, and if I could get the digitizer replaced because of it. The accuracy on this is acceptable for 80-90% of the screen, but pretty lousy in other areas. If my memory is correct, it's not as accurate as the previous x230t I had for a week, and checking T-ravisty's videos, the digitizer accuracy seems reasonable with his device too. I'm just sort of uninterested in sending this device in, since I just got it up and running finally.....

10. AndreR

No, I do not have a visible trail. Haven't had this in my previous tablets either, and as said before, this is the first time I hear about this problem.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.