CompactFlash & SDHC

Discussion in 'Acer (Gateway)' started by ninjarama, Oct 13, 2007.

1. leaftye

leaftye Old timer Super Moderator

Does the built-in cardreader really not support these form factors? They're only the biggest and fastest flash memory types, and it doesn't look like we get them.

Can anyone confirm if SDHC works or not?

If the cardreader doesn't support SDHC, I sure hope it's upgradable.

2. chriscannon

chriscannon Proud Member of the PFJ! Senior Member

I have an SD card in mine, this one actually, and I think that it should work for SDHC. If it wont, then it should be able to be fixed with a driver update. On gateway's website it just says that it supports "Secure Digital" assuming that is what SD stand for, would it support all SD?

But I do remember reading somewhere that the most you can use for ReadyBoost is 4gigs, so an 8gig SDHC wont work for that.

Im using my 2gig for readyboost, but I dont exactly notice a big difference. Im not even sure what im supposed to be looking for, because everybody is telling me different things about it. Some say it helps your ram, some say it makes it faster, and others say it has nothing to do with ram.

I think I might end up just using it for 2gigs of extra storage, since It will never leave my computer anyway. It doesnt stick out like usb does, and that makes it pretty convenient.

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  3. leaftye

I want the SDHC memory because it's available in faster speeds, and it's cheaper too. Regular SD is probably too slow to notice any performance benefits. I was putting in an order on Newegg when I noticed this memory card issue.

Chris, as you stated, it doesn't stick out of the computer, and that's why I want to use a flash card instead of a usb stick.

4. dgh725

dgh725 Ah! I've found it!

As far as what it does to speed things up - I'm not 100% certain, and this is a simplified statement (there's more to it than this), but I believe it puts your swapfile on the Readyboost RAM - This helps two ways, 1) RAM swapfile is faster than HD, and 2) less access to HD may save on battery usage if what you are doing resides on the Readyboost RAM (and system memory) and doesn't need to access HD for other reasons.

5. gutierrez

gutierrez waiting for a fixed fan

That's about it. Only thing to know is that in sequential data blocks HD will beat flash memory any day. Where Readyboost Shines is when you start to need to page/swap data. If it's scattered or non-sequential, those bits get pushed to the flash. Large sequential blocks stick to the HD. This way you get fast access on things, less of the drive having to thrash back and forth to read data that isn't well organized, and much lower power usage thanks to the flash memory. This way there's less of a performance hit if you have a really fast hard drive.

6. leaftye

So no one has SDHC flash memory to test out yet? It won't be me. If I spend money, I need to know it's going to work, and if I don't know, I'll be buying a hybrid drive or a 7200 rpm drive.

7. chriscannon

I dont see why it wouldnt work, or atleast have a driver update to make it work...

But if it doesnt work (which i dont see why it wouldnt) then its not my fault!

8. tomtheweirdguy

tomtheweirdguy Pen Pal - Newbie

According to the Sandisk website, SDHC cards will not work standard SD host controllers, which is probably what we have in the C-140X.

Read it yourself at http://www.sandisk.com/Products/Ite..._Ultra_II_SDHC_8GB_High_Performance_Card.aspx near the bottom of the page.

9. chriscannon

what does it mean by legacy?

And since its a computer, it might be upgradable...

But that quote is troubling, I wouldnr risk trying it if you cant afford to. We will have to wait for somebody else to try it first.

10. NeoLibCon

NeoLibCon Scribbler - Standard Member

Well, if you just wanna leave a card in there for ready boost, regular SDs come in 4gb, the most that can be used.

It would suck, though, not to be able to use a new format card on a new computer. Worse, I can't even use my new computer right now.