Compact wireless keyboard with touchpad/trackstick?

Discussion in 'HP Slate' started by JClishe, Feb 1, 2011.

1. JClishe

JClishe Pen Pal - Newbie

I've seen Lenovo's compact USB keyboard with trackstick, but is anyone aware of something like this (with integrated touchpad / trackstick) that's wireless?

Jason

2. DuayneI

DuayneI Pen Pal - Newbie

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  3. JClishe

JClishe Pen Pal - Newbie

Yeah that's a little too small, I'm looking for something about the size of the Lenovo that I can do "real" typing on.

4. thadwald

thadwald Scribbler - Standard Member

5. johnmcd

johnmcd Scribbler - Standard Member

6. DaveP

DaveP Scribbler - Standard Member

7. pglaskowsky

pglaskowsky Pen Pal - Newbie

I'm surprised nobody has mentioned that HP makes such a product!

In fact, they make two, and I have one of each; the newer one is better, so that's the one I keep at the office where I'm much more likely to be typing.

It's the HP Wireless Mini Keyboard (XB387AA).

The older one has a tiny little trackball which (for me) is flaky. The new one has an optical trackpoint, basically just the guts of an optical mouse upside-down so it reads your finger sliding over it. Works great for me.

This is a 2.4 GHz wireless keyboard, NOT a Bluetooth keyboard. (If there was a Bluetooth option I'd probably get that, too.) This means there's a tiny little USB dongle, barely large enough to stick out of a USB port, which I leave installed in the Slate 500's dock (I have an extra dock and an extra power supply so I can leave one set up at home plus one at the office).

As that webpage says, the keyboard's external dimensions are 10.48" x 4.85" x 0.82", but in fact most of it's only about 1/4" thick; only the top edge is thicker, to hold a pair of AA batteries. I have no idea how long the batteries last, except that it must be over a month, since that's how long these have been in there.

Bottom line: I like it.

. png

8. JClishe

JClishe Pen Pal - Newbie

Looks great! Where's the touchpad though? I can't tell in the picture.

Jason

9. DaveP

DaveP Scribbler - Standard Member

The quick start guide (http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c02482387.pdf) doesn't mention it but if you enlarge the picture in the datasheet (http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c02480612.pdf) it look like the right mouse button on the upper right is more than just a button. I would guess that it functions as the optical mouse.

Note one thing. The product is no longer available from HP. This may just be due to lack of customer interest or it may reflect some problem with the keyboard. Still, if you can get it new, I assume it's covered by warranty.

10. jnjroach

jnjroach Surface MVP Super Moderator

I just picked up a Cygnett Bluetooth Keyboard to carry in my bag for trip or when I'm mobile, it is larger than the pro-mini but it is smaller than the rest of the one in this thread. It fits with the HP Slate 500...

KeyPad - Wireless Bluetooth Keyboard