Coming from a pavilion x2 12 wich is dying

Discussion in 'What Tablet PC Should I Buy?' started by nyrull, Jan 26, 2019.

1. nyrull

nyrull Pen Pal - Newbie

General Questions.

1. What is your budget?

My budget is around 800$ - 1300$ cad.

2. Would you consider purchasing used/refurbished?
    I prefer New as much of possible.

3. Do you prefer a media/mobile tablet like the iPad, Windows tablet PC, or notebook convertible?
    I can be a convertible or 2 in 1 or tablet PC. But has to be windows OS.

4. What size Tablet PC would you prefer?
    • 5 to7-inches
    • 7.1 to 10-inches
    • 10 to 13-inches
    • Above 13-inches
    Coming from a 12 inches, i would like something around the same size .

5. Which country do you intent to purchase from [where do you live]?
    Canada (Quebec)

6. Do you have any preferences to brand loyalty or dislikes?

No preference at all. I want reliability.

7. How many hours battery life do you require?
    Around 8 hours if possible.

8. What will be the primary usage scenario of this tablet? (Email/Web Surfing/Drawing/Word Processing/Entertainment/Notetaking etc)
    Handwriting note taking at work. A lot of note taking (One Note)! and some light programming and remote desktop. Some web surfing too.

9. Do you have an OS preference? For example, do you own an iPhone and a Mac, or are you a Windows fan? Do you own an Android device and use Google services frequently?
    I need Windows because i use One note and other app for my job that require windows.

10. What software and tasks do you intend to run? (Microsoft Office or other Word Processing Suite/Photoshop/3D Studio Max/Autocad etc)
    One Note most of the time, Visual studio on rare occasion (light programming), Word, Excel, chrome,notepad++

11. Do you intend on playing Games? If so please list.
    no

12. Would you like to stream content through your home theater system?
    no

Screen Specifics

1. Any preference on screen resolution?
    At least 1080p

2. Will you be using the tablet outdoors? Do you need to be able to see it through glare from the sun?

I will use it indoor but the pen need to work with a matte screen protector.

3. Do you require a pen? With or without pressure sensitivity? Do you prefer Wacom EMR, AES or N-trig?
    Yes as this is the sole reason for me to buy a new device.
    I have read Wacom EMR are better, if so, i would like an EMR.

Component Specifics

1. What size Hard Drive and Memory do you require? Would you like expandable memory?
    120gb minimum for the drive and it must be a SSD. Memory should be 8gb minimum. My pavilion only have 4gb and i found the tablet suffering from it. It does not need to be expandable for the memory, but the drive should be replaceable.

2. What sort of inputs do you require, if any? Would you like full-sized USB and SD card slots? Are microUSB and microSD ok? Do you require HDMI inputs?
    I need at least one full-sized USB, the rest can be of any form factor. It need to have an SD card slot, micro or not.

Misc
    1. Other non specific items ~ please add other items you require not covered above?

I need WiFi connection and a keyboard/mouse-pad with a descent build/feel quality.

2. Additional requests ~ anything other you wish to take into consideration?
    I would like palm rejection as i will be using most of the time a pen to take note. When writing with my pavilion sometime it skip stroke, it is really annoying, i don't want to be stuck with something similar.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2019
  2. Starlight5

Starlight5 So what if I'm crazy? The best people are.

@nyrull check out Thinkpad L380 Yoga (or L390 Yoga which is basically the same). It is AES 13.3" FHD, but within your budget you'll probably get EMR only in some older machine. L380Y/L390Y is a well-built machine with decent keyboard, reliable and easy to service, comes with quad-core CPUs (there are some dual-core configurations - definitely skip them!), upgradeable to 32GB RAM; on the other hand, it lacks Thunderbolt which is a pity. Hope other users will offer some EMR alternatives.

3. nyrull

nyrull Pen Pal - Newbie

Its a nice device, but i am not sure about the keyboard. It say that the keyboard is not lock in tablet mode, so it will probably cause problem when having it on my lap and as for AES, i am having a lot of ink skipping with my actual hp x2-12. Is it related to my device dying or it will be the same on all AES ?

Edit: thank you for the help !

Starlight5 likes this.
  4. Starlight5

Keyboard locks in tablet mode but the frame doesn't protrude from the chassis to make flat surface like on more expensive models with Lift'n'Lock keyboards. As owner of one, already have a few pieces broken off the fancy protruding frame which is sorta annoying and won't likely happen to traditional keyboard; moreover that, Lenovo dumped Lift'n'Lock in their latest flagship X1 Yoga 4th Gen in favor of traditional keyboard, which tells a story, sorta. The fact that L380Y keyboard is not spill-resistant is much more of a problem in my opinion - but on the other hand it is very easy to replace, and should be cheap.
    Could also be crappy drivers - Wacom is notorious for them after all. I have no problem with AES on my TPY260; hated old EMR on my prior machines because of parallax and edge calibration, it annoyed the hell out of me. New EMR machines don't suffer from this but they are rare and expensive and/or lacking. Check out Samsung Notebook 9 Pro 2-in-1 - I personally wouldn't recommend one because they are nowhere near Thinkpads (or HP Elite/books, Dell Latitudes) in terms of quality, but they do have EMR.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2019
    nyrull likes this.
  5. nyrull

nyrull Pen Pal - Newbie

Ho, ok i tough they where saying the keyboard was no lock, but its my lack of understanding English :)

On hp support site i don't see any specific driver for the pen, device is pavilion x2 - 12 b017ca, could it be : Intel Integrated Sensor Solution Driver ?

6. Starlight5

@nyrull try uninstalling your Wacom Device driver via Device Manager, default Windows driver may work better. You will know the correct drive is applied when your digitizer is recognized as USB Composite Device instead of Wacom Device. It will loose compatibility with legacy apps but on the other hand may resolve digitizer problems if they are caused by software not hardware.

7. nyrull

nyrull Pen Pal - Newbie

It is already recognized as USB Composite Device because i never found the supposed driver for the device, so i have let windows take car of it.

Edit: It is under Universal Serial Bus controller right ?

8. Starlight5

@nyrull it is under Universal Serial Bus if you're running native Windows driver (as USB Composite Device), or under Human Interface Devices as Wacom Device if Wacom drivers are applied. Try this driver as a last resort. Now I understand why you hate AES. )=

nyrull likes this.
  9. jjsa1985

jjsa1985 Scribbler - Standard Member

I believe the hp pavilion has an elan implementation of wacom aes, much like the Lenovo miix 700, which is why the digitizer is poorer than true wacom aes and also does not support wacom drivers, even if wacom aes pens work on it. I may be wrong, so please correct if that is the case.

nyrull and Starlight5 like this.
  10. nyrull

nyrull Pen Pal - Newbie

I dont see any wacom driver under Human Interface Devices and there is a USB Composite Device under Universal Serial Bus . Wacom driver won't install.

You are correct, it is a Elan AES and i guess there is no specific driver for it.

Edit: I don't see any driver on hp support site specific to the Elan AES or anything related to AES but looking at the Lenovo miix 700 there is a driver update that enable wacom aes pen. I could try that at this point.
    Description: Miix700 Touch Firmware (Enable Wacom AES Pen) for Windows 10 (64-bit) - ideapad Miix 700-12ISK

Edit 2 : Ok that seem too be a bad idea, its not a simple driver but more like a bios update.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2019
    Starlight5 likes this.