Coding a Wacom Feel driver for (UD) EMR digitizers?

Discussion in 'Software' started by Hannibalj2, May 26, 2021.

?

Would you like to participate on getting an Open source Wacom Feel Driver made for Tablet PC's?

1. Yes

4 vote(s)
    100.0%
  2. No

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Hannibalj2

Hannibalj2 Pen Pal - Newbie

I recently purchased an Acer ConceptD 9 laptop and its pretty awesome. But I do feel limited when it comes to the options its offer. The Windows PC options are a joke.

For those who are programmers. How difficult would be to try to make working feel drivers for out tablets?

I am willing to chip in to hire a programmer to make something that could benefit everyone that owns a tablet with UD EMR digitizer.

Also it would be good to keep it open source so anyone with technical know how can help improve it over time and include more features. But I don't want to get ahead of myself. I do not even know if its possible to make the drivers in the first place:p

We could start a conversation, please chime in

Marty, naZ84hEhV- and starllcraft like this.
  2. starllcraft

starllcraft Pen Pal - Newbie

Unfortunately, I don't know much about computer software.

The information I can give is that there are many old UD EMR 1.0 devices before 2016, so they all have wacom feel it drive.

After 2017, udemr was updated to 2.0 technology, which greatly improved the performance. Its pen parameters are: 4096 pressure sensing level/ ± sixty ° pen tilt detection function / pen sampling rate of 200-360hz / pen resolution of 2540lpi / pen supporting 1g initial activation force / hovering cursor height of >10mm / new pen tip with diameter of 0.7mm

Wacom is afraid of affecting the sales of its own brand products, and is less and less licensing its technology. The vast majority of OEMs have turned to low-cost wacom AES, so udemr 2.0 devices are less and less, and wacom feel it drive has become exclusive to wacom AES.

However, there are still three devices in UD EMR 2.0 that have wacom drive.
    HP zbook x2 has the best wacom intuos Pro drive, even wacom one dtc133 driver is not as good as HP zbook X2, lacking the adjustment of pressure curve.
    [​IMG]
    Dell canvas 27 has wacom feel it drive.
    [​IMG]

But the drivers of these three devices can't be applied to other UD EMR devices. After installation, the application panel can't be opened, and Wintab is invalid.

Hannibalj2 likes this.
  3. Marty

Marty Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Have you looked into the Linux Wacom Project? Much of that code could probably be adapted for Windows, saving a ton of programming costs.

I'm not a device driver programmer myself, but I could offer some general EMR hardware and software experience having used a wide variety of Wacom digitizers: DT (Intuos/Cintiq line), CT (Bamboo line), and older and newer UD devices (EP121, Galaxy Book, Dell Canvas).

I could even dedicate my old trusty EP121 as a testing machine for the project, and hook up the Canvas to test for 2.0 compatibility. (Maybe we can even get rid of @thatcomicsguy's dreaded hooking problem. :))

Last edited: May 26, 2021
    Hannibalj2 likes this.
  4. naZ84hEhV-

naZ84hEhV- Pen Pal - Newbie

I am no expert on this subject, just a graphic programmer who happen to know something about drivers.
    To make a driver, one important prerequisite is to know the device completely.
    One need to know, at last, the hardware logic to make a driver for a devidce.
    And that is, well, hard to do.
    In term of UD EMR, i think it is almost a task impossible to accomplish, given the number of existing users.

But, i have some good news, too.
    It seems that you have done some researches, so maybe you have already encountered this: https://github.com/KDE/wacomtablet
    This is a Linux Wacom driver project hold by the KDE desktop community (the backer of Krita).
    The existence of this project means 3-party driver for WACOM devices is possible.
    A glance at the main developer of this project :
    • Ping Cheng, from Wacom
    • Peter Hutterer, from Red Hat
    • Jason Gerecke, from Wacom
    • Aaron Armstrong Skomra, from Wacom
    There are people, with knowledge of Wacom devices in the opensource community.

However, as stated in Peter's blog:
    "The linuxwacom project is still largely controlled by Wacom, with the exception of xf86-input-wacom that's maintained by me but is heavily contributed to by Ping Cheng, both in patches and code review."

You need suppports from wacom to get it done.

plus:

My POV is "It is almost impossible"

5. Hannibalj2

Interesting, I didn't know the HP x2 have feel drivers. Great post and informative!

6. Hannibalj2

Good info, I will have to gather my thoughts. At first glance I suppose as long there is a good and proficient programmer familiar with these type of applications then technically is possible, if the code from github is applicable to our newer UD EMR digitizers of course. But not having Wacoms blessing will make it a more difficult task.

Firstly, it would be nice if a competent programmer chime in and get that perspective.

Last edited: May 26, 2021
    naZ84hEhV- likes this.
  7. Shogmaster

Shogmaster Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Thanks for the invite to the thread Hannibali.

My thoughts on Feel driver hasn't changed. Wacom won't allow it for devices like Concept 9D (so jelly...) or even my Notebook 9 Pro that threatens Cintiq and Cintiq Companion sales. Now days they will allow Feel driver for devices running AES, but UD EMR is too close to functionality and feel (pun intended) to their pro CIntiq devices.

I have learned to live without mapping pen barrel buttons. That to me is the biggest loss from not having Feel driver. I run MS native pen driver on my Notebook 9 Pro and use KB shortcuts and Expresskey remote with Clip Studio Paint. I found this combo to be much more stable than running Feel driver, never having to reboot the driver to get pen working properly. Kinda nice if you ask me.

So IMO, we can get a driver with cloned functionality made ourselves, asking/paying Wacom for Feel driver is barking up the wrong tree.

8. Steve B

Steve B Moderator Moderator

I also use Tablet Pro to program my side buttons. It’s worked very well. That, in conjunction with the programmable side bar, has been great for working without a keyboard. Everything is onscreen or in the pen. Works great.

9. Shogmaster

Shogmaster Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

For some reason, Table Pro never worked on my machines properly. *sadface*

Hannibalj2 likes this.
  10. Steve B

Steve B Moderator Moderator

There is no doubt that it is absolutely a PITA to install and setup. I hated it and almost gave up. Had to watch way too many videos, hunting around, etc, but now that it’s set up, I love it. It’s changed the way I work. But I often work mobile, and need to have my setup be as light as possible.

Hannibalj2 and Shogmaster like this.