cNet article: Amazon Kindle for $49

Discussion in 'eReaders' started by hubbabubba, May 23, 2012.

1. hubbabubba

hubbabubba Pen Pal - Newbie

I came across this article yesterday: http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-33153_7-57438998-10391733/get-a-kindle-with-special-offers-for-$49-shipped/

You can get the basic version of the Kindle (refurbished and with ads) for $49. I went ahead and ordered one, for $49 it seemed worth a try. We have an iPad already but we don't have any type of ereader right now so I'm kind of excited to give it a whirl. I bought a Kindle Touch for my parents for xmas and they seem to like it, so we'll see.

2. CLeonard

CLeonard Tablet PC Review Site Admin Super Moderator

That's a really good deal. I'm surprised that you'd do that already having an iPad. You could simply download the kindle app and have access to the system.

3. JaneL

JaneL Super Moderator Super Moderator

I have an iPad and a Kindle. While I have the Kindle app on my iPad (and iPhone), I like settling down with the Kindle for reading. The battery lasts forever, and my eyes don't get as tired. It's really nice to be able to read the same book on any of the devices and have it sync itself up, though, so that I can just pick up where I left off.

4. hubbabubba

hubbabubba Pen Pal - Newbie

After playing with the Kindle for a few days I'm really happy with it. To me it's much easier to read with than an iPad. The screen is much easier on the eyes and it's easier to hold. I don't think I'd spend the $100+ for the Touch version but for $49 I'm really pleased with this device.

5. JaneL

JaneL Super Moderator Super Moderator

Glad to hear that! While I love my iPad dearly, to me, the e-ink screen is far superior for just reading a good book.