Cloning a TPT2 to another TPT2?

Discussion in 'Lenovo (IBM)' started by hsoj, Feb 18, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hsoj

hsoj Pen Pal - Newbie

So I have two Thinkpad Tablet 2's we ordered for business use. I have the corporate image on one but am having a ton of trouble trying to clone it to the other. Typically we use SCCM for imaging but using 2007 which from what I understand is incompatible with Windows 8.

So I tried about 8 different products and am unable to boot to any of them. I know this thing won't boot to USB drives but I have a USB DVDROM that boots the Win 8 Enterprise disk fine. However it just hangs on the LENOVO post screen for about 2 minutes with any other disc I try to boot from. Then Windows 8 just loads when it finally gives up trying.

This happens regardless if I use Advanced Boot features from Win 8 or just set it to boot to DVD first in BIOS. I did disable the UEFI secure boot stuff.

Is there a way to enable verbose boot or something so I can see why it's not able to boot to disc? Lenovo laptops boot fine to Ghost/Acronis/Clonezilla/ETC but the TPT2 refuses to boot from anything other than the Windows 8 disc. I even tried using the built in "system image" and I was able to pull an image fine but when I try to push it to the other one I get the same error and spent half my day today troubleshooting that error. I'm beginning to think it'd be faster to just manually image the other one. Heaven help us if we ever have to reimage them though as it seems Lenovo doesn't give you an easy way to do it :-/

I emailed our Lenovo rep for advice but hoped I could get an answer here quicker. Thanks for any help that can be provided.

2. hsoj

hsoj Pen Pal - Newbie

So this is what I've got so far.

I wiped the 2nd one completely with a diskpart - clean

I powered up the tablet and am greeted with a boot menu for USB Drive, CD/DVD, Hard Drive, and Windows Boot Manager so now it can't boot b/c there's nothing on the drive

I tried 6 different brands of thumb drives with Win 8 on them in both the tablet USB port as well as dock USB port, none would boot. So this thing really is picky about USB drives.

I put in the Win 8 DVD in the USB CD/DVD drive and it boots fine.

I inserted a Clonezilla disc, and actually got the Grub Boot loader then Clonezilla splash screen but then it goes black and nothing ever happens :(

Tried two versions of Ultimate Boot CD, Windows 7, Partd Magic, Acronis, SCCM 2007 disc for giggles, Windows Thin PC, Lenovo Diagnostics, Debian Squeeze, Memtest, Win XP, even iAtkos. Nothing will boot. It just flashes the screen as it rejects the disc and goes back to the select a boot device menu.

3. Don_Mici

Don_Mici Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi,

I am teying to do something smilar with acronis, but sincce I foudn out it wont boot on a usb rescue disk other thant a windows installation, i am now trying with microsoft system image restore to see what happens, any developments on your side since then?

4. hsoj

hsoj Pen Pal - Newbie

Nope. We went all the way through Lenovo support to talk to the system engineers who basically told us "yea this tablet is ****, it has a UEFI bios designed for 64 bit cpu's but the atom in the tablet is 32 bit so wait for the helix"

So we got a pair of the Helix tablets which are also pretty craptastic and now they're telling us "guys just hang on wait for the helix 2, we swear it will be better!"

So we pretty much decided to deploy surface tablets to the field since Microsoft seems to have their **** together.

5. fabiopb

fabiopb Pen Pal - Newbie

Not sure about any other tablets, but the Lenovo TPT2 do not use a Master Boot Record, so using many cloning methods we were previously using seem useless. I tried the trial of Acronis, but the problem with that is that the tablet needs to be able to get into Windows and have Acronis installed on it for a restore, which may be useless once again if you need to restore a device due to corrupt file systems etc.

CloneZilla is easy but unfortunately will not work with these despite the boot option.

Not sure if the following document helps, as I have not yet tried it myself (http://download.lenovo.com/luc/dml/Tablet2_Imaging_considerations.pdf).

6. ejoya

ejoya Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi, make a portable windows 8 and run the os through the USB. Install acronis to the portable windows 8 and clone the tablet drive. It will perfectly clone the drive without problems. You can do this again on the other tablet but this time you restore it. I've done this method already so I'm sure it works

You might need a USB powered hub though if you don't have a high capacity USB flash drive.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2014
  7. Adidas4275

Adidas4275 Pen Pal - Newbie

that is a really interesting idea, I have never used the portable windows 8 feature.... anyone use it for its intended purpose?

8. thatcomicsguy

thatcomicsguy Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Just curious. . .

I couldn't tell from your description, but did you try duplicating to a hard drive enclosure, or using a PC with multiple drive bays?

I've not worked with Windows 8, but Win7 clones easily enough (from 64bit to 64bit) when I go directly from one HD to another.

9. ejoya

ejoya Pen Pal - Newbie

Duplicated it in a hard drive or flash drive. The real problem is that I don't know any software that can clone the windows 8 of the tpt2 if it is the running os. The workaround is to run another os so it can clone the tpt2 os and recovery and treat it like an ordinary file.

10. rab

rab Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi folks
    i have a TT2 i got few weeks ago and i try to upgrade to 8.1pro from win store however when it try to install the windows updates it get stock halfway with error (failure to configure windows updates) in loop what ever i did i get the same message so i decide to format the c: drive and install a fresh retail windows 8.1 direct to give it a try in this machine everything works fine system drivers
    now i try to recover the machine to but it for sell :)mad:) and i can't access the recover drive by the way i didn't remove them i only format the c: the old fashion way without touching the other drivers
    is there anyway to get bootable copy from the hidden recovery partition
    thank you all.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.