Clip Studio Paint's brush engine simply destroys Procreates...

Discussion in 'Apple/iOS' started by Shogmaster, Apr 1, 2018.

1. Shogmaster

Shogmaster Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

I met up with my friend who just installed CSP in his 1st gen iPad Pro 12.9. It feels exactly like it does on desktop. And compared to Procreate, the brush engine is so much more sophisticated... It's really night and day. My sketches look like crap on Procreate, while looking good as on my Cintiq on the CSP. WOW.

But the problem is, CSP's UI is just not good for touch only device. You really need KB. Procreate's UI is so much better on iPad Pro...

artistebot likes this.
  2. etoons

etoons Pen Pal - Newbie

Yeah it's not opnimized for only touch..they could have put more work into making it more tablet friendly. My biggest problem is the price, particularly that it is subscription based, but that 6 month free trial is pretty generous..

Sent from my SM-N910T3 using Tapatalk

artistebot likes this.
  3. artistebot

artistebot Scribbler - Standard Member

I have been saying this for years. appls built for a touch screen will always be easier to use that an app ported over. Includes productivity and games. Sill glad to see CSP on iPad, hoping for Android too. :)

Temped to try running Android apps in windows tablet mode just to test...

4. Shogmaster

Has anyone used CSP on iPad Pro with a BT keyboard? Can you use KB shortcuts on it? It would make things perfectly usable then.

5. etoons

etoons Pen Pal - Newbie

I have. Yes you can use the keyboard shortcuts with it! They're the same as the PC. I'm still deciding if I want to continue paying the subscription, after my trial ends. I probably will because it's one of the best drawing apps for the iPad pro ATM. Oh yeah, you should try out affinity photo. It's a desktop-par app, and very similar to photoshop. It's $20 (one time purchase woohoo!) And I can greatly recommend it.

6. etoons

etoons Pen Pal - Newbie

Here is a review of affinity photo by Brad Colbow!

WillAdams likes this.
  7. etoons

etoons Pen Pal - Newbie

Most of the bugs he has mentioned has since been fixed btw

8. etoons

etoons Pen Pal - Newbie

Affinity designer for the iPad is also coming out very soon!

9. Shogmaster

I personally don't own an iPad Pro, which is why I'm asking all these silly Qs. I have plenty of friends who wants to use them so more I know the better.

iPad Pro sits in that weird place where it has the SoC muscle and digitizer to be a pro device, but the software and lack of RAM is holding it back. Also they ask too much for the capability in that same money gets you so much more capable system on Windows 2 in 1 side. But at least for Apple fans there is now a solid device that can do the job fine, especially with CSP and Affinity suite being available.

10. Shizaru

Shizaru Scribbler - Standard Member

The subscription model sucks big time, so maybe it would be worth while voting with your wallet and principles? I'm guessing they have a feedback form that pops up at the end of the demo, where you could let them know their app is great, but the sub model is preventing you from purchasing. If you miss it you can always open up a subscription after sending them the message. I guess they offer some initial discount incentive to get people to sign up at the end and to discourage conscientious objectors (marketers know how easy it is to manipulate humans).

As consumers we need to take a united stand against the growing trend of subscription based software and stop the rot while we still can. Sadly human nature being what it is means we will most likely be doomed to a future of subscription only software. I think I will be bowing out if that comes to pass.