Clip Studio Paint EX released for iPad

Discussion in 'Apple/iOS' started by surfaceproartist, Nov 7, 2017.

1. Azzart

Azzart Late night illustrator Senior Member

Nope, seems pretty normal compared to the Galaxy Book.
    The pressure curve though is definitely different but I imagine it can be tweaked.

2. godofiron

godofiron Pen Pal - Newbie

Okay, so I don't know how relevant to this thread this is, and a lot of you know way more than me when it comes to tech, but...

the full program of clip studio paint, which is actually my main program for illustration (i use a bit of photoshop to add a few special glow effects here and there...) is available at last. I'm thinking of getting an iPad pro 2 with iPencil so i can work on the go, but I don't know performance wise how it will go, how fast it will be, what size files it will be able to handle.

does anyone know how much stress it can handle...?

this is the art level I'm at:

https://www.artstation.com/godofiron
    https://www.instagram.com/thegodofiron/

3. Azzart

It should be able to handle a common A3 file at 300dpi.
    Just consider that the heavier your file gets, the easier is for an iPad app to crash due to lack of memory.
    Procreate in this regard has probably been the more stable I used on the iPad. Much depends on the developer.

Personally I prefer a Wiindows machine for Clip Studio but the iPad has the undoubtful advantage of being dead silent and never getting really hot while working.

4. surfaceproartist

surfaceproartist Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I don't think you'll have any trouble reproducing your work on the iPad Pro. But file management is a bit of a hassle and you can't run Photoshop, so do compare a Galaxy Book or Surface Pro before plunking down your hard-earned cash.

5. godofiron

godofiron Pen Pal - Newbie

actually that's a good point - from the last time I used apple products, they just seem to hate conventional filing systems :(

I'm very curious as to how many layers it would need to have before the iPad Pro 2 crashes.
    what's the biggest file size you've used in a drawing program without your ipad crashing?

6. surfaceproartist

surfaceproartist Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I'm no where near @Azzart's level, but my 4GB devices like the m3 Surface Pro have never crashed Clip Studio Paint and I will work with maybe 20 layers on 10x15, 600 dpi illustrations.

Azzart likes this.
  7. Azzart

I'd say much depends on the number of layers vs pixel size. An A3 at 300dpi should allow at least around 20 layers before becoming heavy.
    This in Procreate which is very lightweight and very optimized, another app may be worse.

8. Azzart

That's because windows softwares rely on scratch disks and the worse that can happen is the software getting slow. The iPad has only those 4gb of ram to work and apps have to make do with that. ;)

surfaceproartist likes this.
  9. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

At least the newer iPads do have 4GB of Ram...it should suffice for you're current skill level. My 9.7 1st gen Ipad Pro has a measly 2GB of ram....and with Medibang Paint, I could very easily and very quickly hit the ram ceiling.

However....the Ipad version of Clip Studio does do two things that really put it apart from other iOS art apps.You can open more then one CSP File at the same time....like you could have two canvases open just as you can with the Windows build (at least having the files open in the ram, can't get two canvas's to both display yet). And you can also copy & paste layers/groups between the files. For my digital drawing workflow....that is a huge huge boon for me. The lack of being able to do those two things is really crippled the potential of iOS and Android art apps from being able to handle the more complex illustrations. Provided they don't....take away features (ala Android Corel Painter app).....iOS CSP from a feature perspective should trounce both Procreate and Medibang.

All that being said....at the $600 price point for a CSP tablet & Software investment.........the 10.6 Galaxy Book I would still recommend over the Ipad/Pencil combo....at least until the iOS CSP can prove itself to be able to handle more complex workflows and get some of its rough edges grinded out.

Starlight5 likes this.
  10. neongolden

neongolden Scribbler - Standard Member

Don't suppose any of you would care to speculate about when/if Apple will release larger versions of the iPad Pro?

I wish they'd basically rip off the MSP16, but with Apple aesthetics, and the same power efficient components (the A9X Cortex-whatever chip they use) outside of more RAM, hopefully keeping the costs roughly half or less that of the MSP. I would take it very seriously now that it has CSP.

I also wonder if it's only a matter of time before WinX CSP goes subscription based, or if we're still insulated for the foreseeable future.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2017