Clip Studio Paint EX released for iPad

Discussion in 'Apple/iOS' started by surfaceproartist, Nov 7, 2017.

1. surfaceproartist

surfaceproartist Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Six months free then $8.99 monthly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I can't seem to find it in the App Store......has it been released In the US App Store yet? And any idea if it's full featured or stripped down?

Aman likes this.
  3. surfaceproartist

https://t.co/akZw16kSkO

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. darkmagistric

Ok, got it installed. Odd it’s not App Store ready though.

Seems to perform pretty good...even on my 2GB Ram aging IPad Pro 9.7....it also looks like a full outright conversion of the desktop build. Like it reminds me more of that 3D toon Paint app then a traditional iOS Art app.

Not sure if it has...everything....but it seems to have everything that I use. However....the interface....since it’s directly ripped from the desktop build....it doesn’t seem to be as....well suited for an iPad....hopefully they could tweak that. Also a bit concerned about getting files on and off the iPad. Medibang Paint I liked because I could save to the cloud on my iPad, and then open it in Medibang on my Surface, MSP, or Galaxy Book. (Though even that got really annoying and more finicky the larger your file size was.) The locked in nature of iOS might be an issue for many,

One thing I’m not digging is the price. While 6 months free is nice.....$8.99 a month is pretty steep for an iOS app. While CSP EX can cost over $100 to own....the base CSP is dirt cheap...it’s like $30 right now. I hope 6 months from now, this price point is reassessed.

5. darkmagistric

Ok....having played with it a bit more.....the app still needs a lot of work.

Panning around the Canvas and Multi-touch/palm rejection is still very kind of wonky. Particularly with panning, since the Canvas very easily rolls past where you want it. The interface with the Apple Pencil also doesn’t seem nearly as responsive as the windows/Wacom equivalent. That may be in part due to the lack of any kind of hovering cursor. I’m still glad this is out....but it needs work. Hopefully an IOS build might mean an Android build might be a possibility.

6. Azzart

Azzart Late night illustrator Senior Member

The interface also doesn’t work correctly.
    It shows only one panel at a time and if I try to move out a single panel (like the color wheel) it comes back to where it was as soon as I touch the canvas.
    Pretty useless currently.

7. Azzart

Ok, I found the problem with the interface: to make it work as usual you have to untick the box that says "configure basic layout of the palettes to one for tablets".
    Also, if you swipe from outside the display you can invoke a customizable toolbar with shortcuts.
    I totally prefer Procreate on the iPad but at least now Clip Studio seems usable.

8. thatcomicsguy

thatcomicsguy Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Huh! That's pretty big.

CSP is only a couple of steps away from Photoshop in terms of pro-level art software.

That's one of the big, big things holding back the iPad Pro from being a serious machine. Lack of heavy-lifter software.

Now, if somebody can figure a simple hack around that closed file system so you can quickly move your work to your desktop and back again...

9. Azzart

I can say the Galaxy Book 12 performance in Clip Studio beats the first gen iPad Pro 12.9 hands down with the same canvas size, brush size and zoom level.
    Should be nice a comparison with the newer iPad Pro but I don't have one.

10. surfaceproartist

I really like the new "edge keyboard" customizable on-screen shortcuts. Just swipe in from either side of the screen, ala Windows 8.

File management is a pain but it is possible to import and export directly to Dropbox and OneDrive. Brushes can be imported that way as well.

@Azzart testing with Frenden brushes, I find that the IAF is much higher with the Pencil. Do you notice that on your brushes as well?