Clip Studio Paint Discussion

Discussion in 'Artists' started by Art_N00b, Apr 18, 2018.

1. Azzart

Azzart Late night illustrator Senior Member

In Krita the eraser is a brush, the first three icons in the brushes palette. As simple as that.
    Or you can press E and use the brush your currently using as an eraser, just like in Clip Studio.

thatcomicsguy likes this.
  2. thatcomicsguy

thatcomicsguy Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Oh, I was sure it was around somewhere. Except it wasn't to be found in the normal place every other piece of art software puts it; the standard go-to tool tray. It's that kind of GUI design which sends big, impatient dummies like me away not wanting to bother again.

3. Shizaru

Shizaru Scribbler - Standard Member

@doobiedoobiedum I don't work on excessively large files so I can't comment or offer any worth while thoughts I'm afraid. There are many accomplished artists using Krita who turn out professional work, and I'm sure some of them must be using large canvases. Performance is greatly improved on Linux so maybe those folk aren't using Windows? I know David Revoy is a Linux user for example.

@thatcomicsguy do you mean clearing the layer or pen erase? Del clears the layer and the pen erase is on the top bar to the left of the Preserve Alpha icon or right click and select an erase brush from the pop-up pallet.

I know that a simple task like erase shouldn't be hard to figure out, but Krita/Gimp are like any other program you tend to get out what you put in. To really make the most of either of these free and open source programs you have to go through some pain learning where the juicy stuff is. I still don't use CSP as much as I should, because I have been too lazy, impatient and time pressed to learn what I need to know, in order to be proficient enough to get the job done, without resorting to researching and searching for features and functions etc. That's not the programs fault it's my fault for not taking the time to learn.

You live and breath CSP so everything has become instinctive and no application will ever compete with that level of familiarity at first glance. It take many hours to build up to anything remotely close to a comfortable work flow.

I think you might be very impressed with the selection tools offered by both Gimp and Krita if you delved into them deeply. You may find that they will resolve some of the complaints you have expressed about other programs selection tools.

Not being a professional or accomplished artists I can't really say what's great and what's not...I just go with what works for me. I find different things are easier for me in all these programs, and as a result I have mastered none of them. :(

4. Burgundy

Burgundy Scribbler - Standard Member

Support for alternative drawing programs will always be helpful, as long there are more upcoming or constantly improving programs to hold the bigger ones from dropping the ball, the better.

One of the big things about ipad pro and Procreate, is how damn cheap it is, and just a single purchase, and Artstudio Pro as well, a bit better in the photoshop tools than Procreate, but Procreate is perhaps the cleanest and yet most comfortable drawing/painting app for the ipad pro for sure, so unless CSP goes single purchase on the IS, I don't see myself throwing money on that version, but if Celsys is kind enough to lower their prices,we might hope they figure it out there, so they don't try it on desktop in the future. xD. @darkmagistric

Krita always seemed a bit more clean and functional, for a free program. But if it starts crapping out hard, when a big or high resolution canvas gets CHUNGUS, that's not so good. I think it's not only the lagging, but also how long it takes to save the file, once it gets big, which matter too, and there CSP starts chugging a bit, when the file is fed with lots of 'painting effect proteins'. However is only while a specific layer is visible, very much akin to photoshop here too, where photoshop for me at least used to get really sluggish as more effects layers were applied.

5. Shizaru

Shizaru Scribbler - Standard Member

If Krita and Gimp et al received the same level of funding who knows where they would be able to take things? Krita have a paid version/distribution model but I'm not sure how that is working out for them so far?

If CSP goes subscription or cloud I'm out. I refuse to use any application that force you to rent a product, store data or run applications on third-party remote hardware. The insanity of that blows my mind!

The Millennial's and GenZ have been trained by corporations and media to believe that renting everything, and exposing themselves to privacy abuse, is normal human behaviour. Well it's not normal, and the long term implications are absolutely not healthy for individuals or society as a whole imho. I refuse to be dragged down with them no matter what names they may call me. :)

Last edited: Jan 18, 2019
    neongolden and thatcomicsguy like this.
  6. Burgundy

Aye, I also refuse to accept the monthly fee. The very reason I wanted to cut off adobe PS, in the first place. And with apps rivaling the big ones, I have hope that it will change back to single pay, in time. As long people move away or refuse the monthly fee apps/programs.

wytn, Shizaru and thatcomicsguy like this.
  7. thatcomicsguy

thatcomicsguy Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Well, listen to you dawgs!

Me, I'm a slave to the best working software I can get. But show me a crack in the wall, and I'm out.

Right now, I own my copy of CSP, and I'll sing their praises and recommend to every digital artist I come across that they buy a copy too, (and I'll buy the next level up for whatever they charge the instant they fix that silly lasso tool I keep going on about).

Come to think of it.., I'd pay for new features and upgrades so long as they don't charge too much and so long as not having them doesn't invalidate my old copy.

Shizaru, doobiedoobiedum and Burgundy like this.
  8. Burgundy

Haha, well I will sing praises to Celsys and CSP too, as long they keep the desktop single pay. :)

The lasso tool, you mean the fact it doesn't sort of combine both free hand and polygon together?

9. doobiedoobiedum

doobiedoobiedum Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Oh I am always careful about claiming you can't do professional level work with a tool. Many artists still use pencils and paper and who am I to sneer? It's more the ease with which you can do something and how much time investment is required to achieve what you want.
    I was only looking at it with regard to what I want to do for me and my work.

10. doobiedoobiedum

doobiedoobiedum Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Hi all - couple of Clip Studio Questions

UI - the paint colour-picker - at the moment I'm clicking on the lower colour square to change which colour I use. A double click opens the colour-change palette. Is this normal? I'm probably "too Photoshop" in my reading of this but is there a little button anywhere that changes around those colours? I also like how Photoshop gives you our black and white at the press of another icon. Is there something similar in CSP?

Drawing over video - I don't mean rotoscoping to trace but to add animated effects onto video. Does CSP support this? I know I can do this in Photoshop. If CSP doesn't do it then I know to export video at stills and then work over those.

Sorry for all the questions!