Clip Studio Paint Discussion

Discussion in 'Artists' started by Art_N00b, Apr 18, 2018.

1. thatcomicsguy

thatcomicsguy Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

It's like learning the language and culture of Adobe Crazy World all over again. CSP's GUI design remains quite alien to me in its fundamental logical assumptions, and I still sort of have to randomly bounce my way through it and visit help forums each time I want to try something new.

Basically, I spent a couple of days over the course of several years beating it into submission, got it to where I wanted it, and bloody froze it that way with the save feature.

Now I have a highly customized version which does (nearly) everything I want and doesn't crash. Sweet. But hard earned for sure!

Stick with it. Whenever I find myself in Photoshop and thinking, "That panel needs fixing. Rather than go back to CSP, I'll just quickly re-draw it right here," -I quickly recognize just how many lightyears ahead CSP is in the drawing department! It's like putting on mittens while working on fine jewelry.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2019
    doobiedoobiedum likes this.
  2. Shizaru

Shizaru Scribbler - Standard Member

Gimp has made some decent improvements and additions to the transform tools, such as a liquefy style tool. You can try the portable version that Partha offers here https://www.partha.com/ his build also includes a number of common filters already installed. Might be handy if you have moved away from PS. If you don't want it on your system after trying it you can just delete the folder without messing with your windows registry.

This should jump you to the relevant part for the tool https:// > youtu.be/mRKLKRip834?t=892 < or just jump to 14:52.

I have no idea why he isn't using the dark interface theme and new icons?

Last edited: Jan 17, 2019
    Marty, Burgundy and thatcomicsguy like this.
  3. Burgundy

Burgundy Scribbler - Standard Member

Oh wow, Gimp has evolved quite a bit, since last time I used it, and forgot about it too, always used it prior to photoshop, so all the needs from photoshop might be met with GIMP now. With extensions it sure can do all the photoshopping and text font effects, photoshop can. Usually made gif signatures with gimp all the time, good times. best free photoshop alternative there is. Only exception is perhaps the drawing engine, but it may also have evolved quite a bit too?

Thanks for posting this, feel rather stupid for having forgotten about GIMP.

Shizaru likes this.
  4. doobiedoobiedum

doobiedoobiedum Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Can't... bring..... myself..... to........ try............. it............................

thatcomicsguy likes this.
  5. Shizaru

If you haven't used Gimp in a while you should be pleasantly surprised. It's probably not a photoshop killer but it's very usable once you take the time to figure out the method behind the madness. It's still a steep learning curve if you want to unleash the power lurking behind some of the options.

I use it a lot because I'm familiar with a lot of the tools I use and I can get things done really quickly. There are some useful tutorials on ytube which really helps learn most of the common stuff.

Do you know about Krita? It's a fork of Gimp but it's art based rather than photo editing. It's really good for drawing, and it has animation features among other things. For drawing it's much better than Gimp imho, very nice brush engine. Gimp recently did a lot of work on the brushes and it has also improved. Krita also has Vector layers, not up to illustrator or Inkscape standards though. Krita is also available in a portable version. https://krita.org/en/

David Revoy has some good information and some nice examples of what Krita can achieve. https://davidrevoy.com/

If you want an easy way to install and update the packages you can install the portableapps.com platform and then add GIMP (from the project without third-party filters), Krita, Inkscape, Blender and MyPaint from the app list. You can install the Platform to your main drive or an external disk/thumb drive. The platform checks for updates for you which is very handy. Here's a list of other graphic related applications available on the platform https://portableapps.com/apps/graphics_pictures.

New in v4.1.x

Vectors

@doobiedoobiedum then you shall never know.

thatcomicsguy likes this.
  6. Burgundy

Burgundy Scribbler - Standard Member

Ah it's fine, I normally just picked up a complete extensions package, when I had GIMP. But again will only be having it for conversions ect. which CSP EX can't do, so I'm just going to stick with CSP EX for everything it can do just fine, and it is also continually expanding, so I wouldn't be surprised if Liquify is in the works either, along with their csp hub for all kinds of addons, brushes 3D models and so forth.

I have tried Krita a few times in the past, but again, I probably won't be going outside CSP EX now, other than on my Ipad Pro, since CSP there is a monthly sub, which might bode ill for the future. But until then, happy CSP camper. :)

Shizaru and thatcomicsguy like this.
  7. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

If it helps, Celsys inc has made the iPad CSP Pro a bit more affordable, down from that $9.99 a month to $4.49 a month, or $24.99 for a 1 year subscription that comes out to $2.08 per month.

Still seems kind of rippoff given many us probably bought the Desktop Clip Studio Pro "to keep" for around $24.99.....but the lower prices did make me almost reconsider. I'm hoping the eventual release of Full Photoshop CC will persuade them to lower it further....but I can't help but find it almost pathetically sad that Celsey basically released a product that had a built-in fan base.....and priced it so poorly we're all jumped ship to other programs.

wytn likes this.
  8. Shizaru

I'm a CSP EX fan as well, but I also like to support these open source project. There are features and functions I like using in these applications as well. For me GIMP is the fast thing around for making memes, other photo manipulation stuff and simple quick and dirty gifs.

There is also a better chance of the Open Source applications staying out of the MS Store (although Krita have gone there). I also like the portable versions because I can move my set-up between machines. If these projects could be better funded and more actively developed they could really start to dominate the market. The move towards subscription based models is actually working in favour of projects like Krita and GIMP imho. The same seems to be happening with some video editing packages. The fact that many are cross platform is also a major bonus because people have options and they gain a wider audience.

9. doobiedoobiedum

doobiedoobiedum Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Haha!

I have actually tried Krita twice (on my second go now) and it's reasonably useable. I only downloaded it because I couldn't find where my smudge / blur tool had gone. My current test of Krita and Clip Studio is basically to push the software with huge file sizes to see how they handle larger files before I put time into learning the software.

Krita struggles with very large files in a way that Photoshop and Clip Studio breeze through. This is important for me as I wanted to extend into rotoscoping and working over video (one huge reason for buying the zbook with 16GB RAM).
    Now that I discovered how to get my tools back I will put more time into CSP - will probably keep using it once Adobe has worked out how the team licence subscription works for very large teams and we all have a CC install here at work.

wytn and thatcomicsguy like this.
  10. thatcomicsguy

thatcomicsguy Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Krita has finally passed the "doesn't lag" test with the latest version I have loaded on my system. I thought, "Hey, now I can recommend this to folks who need free art software!"

In fact, a couple of weeks ago, I loaded it up with a casual student I work with sometimes who wanted to know what free software was available. I said, "I might have just the thing!"

Except we couldn't find the eraser (???). So we tried an "X" icon which looked like it might have something to do with undoing stuff, but instead it laid down a bunch of pink dots which seemed vector-related and promptly froze the system in a deep thought cycle. After twiddling my thumbs for a while, I pulled up the task manager and killed the process. And that was the end of that. We moved on to CSP, and spent the next hour working in an art program with a GUI we could both understand. -When CSP's GUI is more intuitive than yours, you might be looking at a problem. (Or, as I've long thought wrt GIMP, their engineers are some stripe of elitist who take a perverse satisfaction in being misunderstood by the common folk.)

If I needed free software, I might have the patience to learn what the hell Krita's engineers were thinking, but I don't and honestly felt annoyed and disinclined to try again.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2019
    Burgundy likes this.