Clip Studio Paint Discussion

Discussion in 'Artists' started by Art_N00b, Apr 18, 2018.

1. Art_N00b

Art_N00b Scribbler - Standard Member

2. thatcomicsguy

thatcomicsguy Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

It's great that a bunch of features I don't use have been upgraded.

But I am NOT loving the whole thing where you have to start from their idiot global command interface.

I am not, nor do I want to be part of some funky Celsys community which shares cut & paste graphics I would never, ever use. I liked being able to have an icon on my desktop where, when I double clicked it, the actual effing program would start.

Now I have to enter the pearly gates, confess my sins and put up with in-program news releases, and I'm guessing, ads, -though I wouldn't know for sure because the damned thing failed to connect even after twiddling my firewall and permissions. -Which, of course, meant I had to copy/paste 20 or so little paranoia number hashes to prove once again, that YES, I paid for their godammed software. (Twice, actually.) How many times do I have to assure them of that?

And they STILL haven't fixed the lasso selection tool. I've decided it's not just missing a toggle feature. It's flat-out broken without one and they have to be brain damaged or just mean-spirited over there to not care.

But the list of upgrades and fixes sounds wonderful if you play with 3D dolls. Thanks guys. You made my morning a bitter treat.

Phooo...

Gotta cool down. This isn't Adobe. This isn't Adobe. This isn't Adobe. They're young and new and trying their best. And their brush engine is excellent. And it's an affordable package.

Anger fading...

3. Azzart

Azzart Late night illustrator Senior Member

Just navigate to the Clip Studio Paint folder and create a desktop shortcut to the software.
    Or right click on the exe and pin it to the Windows Toolbar.
    I didn't even know you now had to pass through the Clip Studio app to start the drawing software.

thatcomicsguy likes this.
  4. harrodeleted

harrodeleted Pen Pal - Newbie

I just double click on my clip studio paint files and it opens up no problem, without having to go through their clip portal.

What problem do you have with the lasso selection tool? I use it all the time?

5. thatcomicsguy

No on-the-fly toggle between regular selection and polygonal.

It means if you want to pause during a complicated procedure, simply pressing and holding ALT won't allow you to lift the pen without losing your place.

This feature is one of the reasons I keep Photoshop on my system.

6. thatcomicsguy

Thanks!

I was looking in the install folder and only saw the Clip Studio .exe

7. harrodeleted

harrodeleted Pen Pal - Newbie

ahhh never had that in my workflow, but yeah that sounds frustrating

thatcomicsguy likes this.
  8. Art_N00b

Art_N00b Scribbler - Standard Member

If it's just the pausing aspect, can't you just let the selection complete and then continue with the selection modifiers?:

Hold [Ctrl] to drag a selection around.
    Hold [Alt] to cut into a selection.
    Hold [Shift] to add to a selection.

But I thought it was because you have panels and you want a fast way to select them. Maybe I got that wrong.

9. thatcomicsguy

Try it in both PS and CSP and see. (Basically, you can, but only if you select very simple bites at a time. Running a cursor around a character's outline presents difficulties when the selection area turns back on itself.)

Apple is infamous for telling people why they don't need a second mouse button or a touch screen. Similarly, I've had many people since I started working with Japanese art software, try to explain alternative ways to area-select, that I don't need the feature I actually want. Some of those folks are genuinely curious and are trying to be helpful, others are simply argumentative Apple types. In any case, I've tried every selection approach there is, (in fact, must use some of them, since my preferred way is not available without juggling between software packages). They each have their strengths and weaknesses.

Fact is, I like the toggle feature that has come standard since the earliest versions of Photoshop, and have been using it for more than 20 years. -Used in conjunction with drawing a "marching ants" outline around the area I want to fill, it works really well, makes a lot of sense, and I've become super-skilled and efficient with it. -And there's absolutely no reason not to include such a powerful and useful feature in CSP other than ignorance -or perhaps cultural differences. -It's a single button press, maybe two lines of code.

The Japanese, I believe, being a brush-writing culture, perhaps simply don't think of selection beyond painting masks and will likely never understand why the odd guy like me is ripping his hair out.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2018
  10. Azzart

Azzart Late night illustrator Senior Member

No need for that, just select in the tool properties that you want the lasso to add to the current selection instead of starting a new one when you put down the pen again. :)

Art_N00b likes this.