Clip Studio Paint Discussion

Discussion in 'Artists' started by Art_N00b, Apr 18, 2018.

1. Art_N00b

Art_N00b Scribbler - Standard Member

Don't know about Windows tablet mode as I tend to avoid it. Maybe I should try though because right now I manually hide the task bar.

So for simplifying CSP, I don't know that I'll have any ideas you haven't stumbled upon yourself, but here goes:

-- Customize the command bar to your liking, with your most frequent items on it (File > Command Bar Settings).

-- Add the main menu to the command bar. You'll find it has an extra menu item on it, "Hide Title Bar". After selecting it, it changes to "Hide Menu Bar". After selecting both of those, you have more space but still can access all menu items through the command bar.

-- Add the Quick Access palette to the command bar and put your less frequently used items on there.

-- Hide the Windows task bar manually or via tablet mode.

-- See if you can collapse some of your palettes with the single arrow in their mini title bar.

-- As with other art apps, you can hit TAB to toggle visibility of palettes.

-- I draw with right hand which I cannot see through, so I moved my palettes to the left.

-- Save your set up via Menu > Window > Workspace > Register Workspace... Register more than one if that makes sense for you.

-- Protect yourself from Windows. Turn off pen flicks and long-press-to-right-click. Turn off new pen panning behavior in the 2018-04 update:
    reg add HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Pen /v LegacyPenInteractionModel /t REG_DWORD /d 1 /f
    ... per https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4093112/windows-10-update-kb4093112

That's all that comes to mind. Feel free to add your own tips here or discuss other aspects of CSP.

Shizaru, artistebot and Azzart like this.
  2. Art_N00b

Btw I started this thread for any and all CSP discussion. CSP seems to get discussed ad hoc in different threads for specific tablets or the Art Programs threads. I thought it should have its own (other that when you really have something specific to say about CSP + a given tablet, or comparison to another art program).

artistebot likes this.
  3. Azzart

Azzart Late night illustrator Senior Member

Good advices.
    I would add to not just collapse some of the palettes but get rid of what's not necessary altogether. You can always access them from the main menu if you need them one time only.

The interface is exceptionally customizable, I only have like 6 or 7 palettes available all the time in my workflow: layers, swatches, brush selector, brush properties, tools, navigator and colour wheel.
    Layers, brush selector and brush properties are grouped together so I can open all threeof them at the same time if I need to.
    Aside from colour wheel and navigator that I keep as floating panels, my palettes are almost always collapsed in the right border of the screen and I tap a single one when I need it, do what I have to do and it then automatically collapses again as soon as I touch the canvas.
    Took me some time to get used to this new behaviour of the interface but I like it now.

Basically I do everything on screen with my right hand.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2018
    Shizaru, Art_N00b and artistebot like this.
  4. Shizaru

Shizaru Scribbler - Standard Member

Okay here's an issue that hopefully someone has the answer to.

I have just received my Notebook 9 Pro 15" Gen 8 which I have been busy installing stuff on and applying updates etc.

Windows is fully patched to 1709 16299.371 (sucker for punishment).
    Clip Studio Paint is on V1.7.3.2 which was releases a few days ago.
    Wacom Express Key Remote sw V6.3.29-6
    The Wacom driver screws up WinTab functionality so I have installed the MS WinTab driver which fixes pressure etc. in apps like GIMP.
    Radial Menu V0.4.6.326 is installed.
    Pen Flicks are turned off.
    I have applied the RegKey fix to revert to the pen behaviour to LegacyPenInteractionModel.

I also checked on my N9P 15 Gen 7 which has CSP V1.7.3.2 and Win10 1709 16299.371 and the same behaviour occurs when drawing quick repeated hash strokes. This machine doesn't have the LegacyPenInteractionModel RegKey fix applied.

The issue I have in CSP is with hashing...after drawing a few quick repeated hash lines the canvas drags to a new position. It's a bit random - sometimes it seems to be every 8th stroke and then the pen drags the canvas. other times it can be on the 3rd stroke or alternating between approx 8 and 3 strokes (rough counts).

On the CSP site in their tips 13/April they posted that V1.7.3.1 is a fix for some MS f*****ps in the March update cycle which messed up some pen input behaviour. Apparently pen input can be interpreted as finger input among other issues.

Does anyone have CSP V1.7.3.2 running on a machine with Win 10 1709 16299.371 who would be willing to do a test to see if you have the same problem with hashing/using lots of quick short strokes?

Driver set to Tablet PC/WinINK - Canvas size A4 300dpi - G-Pen size 8. The pen needs to leave the screen by a few mm at the end of each stroke. Palm can be on or off the screen and the strokes can go in any direction.

Tested in Krita using WinINK and GIMP using WinTAB neither of which display the same behaviour, so it seems like a CSP and Win10 issue?

Maybe I have screwed up somewhere and there is a simple fix that I'm missing?

Art_N00b and artistebot like this.
  5. Shizaru

On a different tack what is the best method of moving all my CSP settings, workspaces and brushes etc. over to the new machine?

Another thing is after originally installing CPS the folders created are in C:\Program Files\CELSYS\CLIP STUDIO 1.5 EN and after installing the update the program is installed to C:\Program Files\CELSYS\CLIP STUDIO 1.5 and in the User docs folder C:\Users\steve\Documents\CELSYS_EN plus C:\Users\steve\Documents\CELSYS

Is it okay to just delete the two old folders in programs files and user documents or is there a reason why they duplicate the folders and files?

artistebot likes this.
  6. Art_N00b

Thanks. I've been doing that with some of my palettes but one thing that annoys me is that I cannot use the canvas right away. Like if I open the brush size, click a new size and then draw/paint on the canvas, the only thing happens is that the palette closes. I would like to just draw/paint right away.

7. Art_N00b

I have a near identical set-up except I'm on the 7th gen and the CSP 1.7.3 release from Jan 2018. I recreated your test and have zero problems. I tried both keeping the pen close to the screen and lifting it away.

I am now too chicken **** to upgrade to 1.7.3.2.

But how are you even getting that version? At https://www.clipstudio.net/en/dl it says the current version is 1.7.3 on 1/25/2018. In my Help > Version Information it says "Version 1.7.3 201801190133"

Regarding moving CSP to another machine, I don't have the answer, but I have seen this discussed in other places, maybe reddit. Also, I don't know which folders can be deleted. If you're feeling brave, you could reboot, rename them and see what the fallout is. Another rename would, in theory, get you back.

8. Art_N00b

I see it now. Their web site is a bit messy. https://tips.clip-studio.com/en-us/articles/762

They say on that page "If you apply this updater and you can not see improvements in operation, please contact CELSYS user support." and further down encourage filing a bug report for another issue. They are practically begging you to contact them!

That's nice to see actually!

Since I'm not having problems, I suspect that the 1.7.3 / Jan 2018 release works just fine if you do the registry hack to disable the new pen panning behavior in Windows. Maybe you could reinstall that...

Shizaru likes this.
  9. Shizaru

@Art_Noob

Okay, that's strange I checked it again after reading your report and the issue has gone on the Gen 8 machine and is still there on the Gen 7 device, which indicates that the RegEdit is the fix. It's strange because I haven't changed anything or rebooted this machine since posting in this thread. I had also navigated to the Reg Key to make sure it was correct, which it was/is.

Anyway I just deleted the key rebooted and checked CSP and the hatching and dragging issue returned. I reapplied the RegKey fix and restarted CSP without a reboot and the issue was solved again. I have no idea why I was still having the problem after applying that change the first time?

Crazy to say the least, but I'm glad to see the back of that annoying problem!

Thanks for your reply. I think it should be safe for you to update your CSP with the new version.

I found the link while poking about looking to see if anyone else was having the same problem and read the Tip article you linked to above...I should have added the link in my post (my bad!). I have no idea why they haven't linked to that file on their normal download page?

Fortunately I wont be needing to contact their support now. :)

I thought I read something about moving the user data between machines somewhere ages ago but I can't remember the details or whether it was a success or not? It's bloody annoying if you have to go through the whole process of setting everything up again! I have been putting that chore off in the hope of finding an easy solution.

I will do the renaming thing to see what happens if it goes okay I will junk those additional folders. If it goes horribly wrong after that I have nothing to lose other than the time it takes to reinstall CSP.

Cheers,

P.S. I don't know if this has been mentioned here or not but SmithMicro are parting ways with CELSYS in fact they have already stopped support afaik. According to the SmithMicro article on the subject they will continue selling the remaining stocks of their physical copies of CSP. Which has an ongoing discount by the way and it looks like they only have CSP EX @89.99 here's a link to the article explaining the distribution and support changes https://blog.smithmicro.com/clip-studio-paints-next-chapter . They are also going to close their CSP social sites down along with other sources of info, so if they have any content worth archiving people should go and get what they want before it goes down the memory hole.

10. Art_N00b

Based on what I read, you can definitely copy your set up data from one machine to another. I just don't recall which files or have a link to that post.

Shizaru likes this.