Clip Studio Finally On Android

Discussion in 'Software' started by darkmagistric, Aug 5, 2020.

1. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

They are doing this because they are greedy soulless bastards who don't care at all that new users are dissuaded by the subscription model and opt for Procreate instead, they are just fine nickel and diming their loyal fan base who they know will pay no matter how unfairly they priced it.

Just look at how Procreate dominated the hell out of iOS market. never mind the decade+ of Windows/Mac users making do with Clip Studio, Photoshop, & Sai with Wacom tablets...in just a few years the general perception of Digital Art literally has become "Digtial Art = The iPad + Procreate." I see it all the time in my art circles, where I used to bre the only digital drawer at sketch groups, almost one by one, as many gradually got iPads, they always go to Procreate. Procreate did have a lead over Clip Studio, but once 2017 and iOS Clip Studio came out, they had an opportunity to steal that thunder and they squandered it.

Marty likes this.
  2. Marty

Marty Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Yes, and we don't want to see history repeated on Android. Especially when the ecosystem is in dire need of a 'killer app' that sells the whole platform, like Procreate did with the iPad.

I mean Samsung deserves so many props here for continuing to invest in Android tablets, designing premium hardware specifically for the Tab S7+, and correctly identifying a real market need (ie. CSP Android) and negotiating a deal to make that a reality! (Seriously people, when does this happen except in our artists' fantasies. :p)

I mean for CSP to drop the ball here (when all they had to do was literally just copy over their PC pricing), it would be beyond tragic...

Last edited: Aug 7, 2020
    darkmagistric likes this.
  3. crazycat

crazycat Scribbler - Standard Member

I have no problem with CSP subscription model as long as they don't move it to the desktop. I believe because the large number of mangaka, professional and amateur in Japan use it on the desktop and it would be outraged if they move to that model on desktop so they keep the one time price. After all, on the go on ipad is a luxury, and luxury= cost more money.

Also, another thing we have to take into account is that the app store take 30% cut of the price from them, and they have to get that back somewhere. Subscription is also easier to implement on mobile devices because they are supposed to be always online, so frequent license check and avoid pirate would be easier. On Windows, with the frequent sale price 25$, people are less likely to pirate if they can afford it.

The main reason I'm not hot on WOA, MOA is because it might enable them to make store-only Os and force developer to increase price to make up for the store revenue cut.

artistebot likes this.
  4. darkmagistric

Not anymore. On the go was a luxury when you had shell out nearly 2K for a decent Tablet PC to draw digitally on the go. Portable options are now more affordable then ever, just in the past decade, literally no shortage of penabled PCs being released new well under the $1K mark. You can get an i5 Surface Pro 7 for the same price as an iPad Pro, not to mention Samsung Galaxy Note and Book S-pen tablets over the years. And alot of the artists I was referring to in my earlier post aren't plunking down for iPad Pros, but the cheaper $300-ish iPad with the Gen 1 pencil, which is still more then suitable for running Clip Studio (minding you're layers of course). On the Go is just the new norm more then anything. The Luxary options are just nicer specs in a 6 mm frame over a 9mm one.

Cuberdon75 and thatcomicsguy like this.
  5. Cuberdon75

Cuberdon75 Scribbler - Standard Member

Subscriptions are one of the most indecent and insidious economic models under digital capitalism, where stable work is so hard to come by. At best they should be reserved for corporations.

I wish Samsung or Google had invested in developing a paying version of Krita for Android. The free, open-source version is already very nice to have, but there's exactly *one* developer working on it.

6. Shogmaster

Shogmaster Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Are they going to simply preload the app in S7 and not have an APK to prevent installation into other devices?

So if you get the S7 then I don't have to bother with sub if I keep it as Pro instead of EX? I only got EX license on desktop for the extended animation function anyways.

As long as Apple and Google keeps ganking 30% off the top from devs in their stores, you will see sub model flourish. I foresee even Procreate eventually moving to sub model. Very glad the store never took off on Windows...

7. darkmagistric

A pre-loaded app could still be APK'd, so long as the app is installed locally. However there are ways where they could muck it up. Back a few years when Corel introduced their Painter Mobile App for Android it was a decent app, but very shortly after releasing the app, they updated it completely with a new interface and and dumbed it down by removing alot of additional functionality. I had it installed on both the Galaxy Note 10.1 and the Galaxy Note 10.1 2014 at the time. However it was only updated on my newer 2014 model, my older Note still had the app before the update. So I APK'd the original app, but for some reason it would never work when I installed it. I can't remember what the actual error message was, but it was mostly a blank blue screen. I"m not sure how they did that, but I'd imagine there must be ways to rig an app turned to an APK to not install properly.

8. Shogmaster

Shogmaster Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Let's hope for the best...

9. crazycat

crazycat Scribbler - Standard Member

Some APP can be rigged so that it will check for license everytime you open the App. I tried putting my copy of twomonusb on another Android and it won't open because the gmail I used to buy twomon wasn't on that Android device.

It's understandable because pirating on android is even easier on windows. Just an APK extractor and you are good to go.

10. artistebot

artistebot Scribbler - Standard Member

Late to the party.

Glad to see CSP is on Android. If subscription makes it possible then so be it. I think over time the model will adjust anyway.

I think Infinite Painter has "folders" that can help w layer organization. Still my favorite Painting App as, IMHO it has always been the best in terms of touch-screen base UI.