Clip Studio Finally On Android

Discussion in 'Software' started by darkmagistric, Aug 5, 2020.

1. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Samsung broke the news today.

https://www.slashgear.com/galaxy-tab-s7-gets-exclusive-clip-studio-paint-for-android-05632280/

So they finally ported Clip Studio Paint to Android, but it will be initially time limited to be an exclusive app for the Samsung Galaxy Tab S7 and S7+ tablets, and unfortunately seems to follow suit with the iPads subscription model, can't say I'm surprised.

But this is long overdue, I'm excited either way. Anyone with a S-pen device, or Android Pen device like the upcoming Surface Duo this is very good news for the long term.

No clue how long it will be exclusive to the Tab S7...but unless its tied to the OS version specifically that only the Tab S7 would have, I don't really see how the back up Android installation method of installing a APK file wouldn't just install it on any other Android device. The incoming DUO aside, most anyone wanting this for Android will likely be wanting to use this with a Samsung device anyway, and if you're paying the subscription already.

Samsung has done this before, a while back they had a special version of Sketchbook Pro for Galaxy Note Users, that was fully free for Galaxy users and came from a Galaxy App specific App store outside of the usual Playstore. I'm also not fully sure which version of Clip Studio will be free. The announcement I saw earlier today seemed to indicate that the base (Pro) Clip Studio would be pre-installed and free to owners of the Tab S7 and S7+, with a free 6 month trial for the EX tier of the software. It was free on the iPad for 6 months as well when it came to that platform, so likely I'd imagine 6 months will be free for Android too. (I hope)

2. doobiedoobiedum

doobiedoobiedum Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I'm not "getting" what is happening over with Android and chromeOS - Google seems to be pushing ChromeOS and chromebooks really hard and not really developing Android for tablets but Samsung seem hell-bent on developing some lovely technology (with EMR) for Android tablets?

I remember seeing a while ago that ChromeOS now supports Android Apps - this brings Google (unwillingly?) without them realising into a position where they can compete with Apple on Arm where new Macbooks will run ARM chips allowing MacOS Big Sur to run iPad Apps.

https://www.digitaltrends.com/computing/how-to-get-android-apps-on-a-chromebook/

3. crazycat

crazycat Scribbler - Standard Member

I'm pretty sure CSP 'Pro' would be subscription as well just cheaper than EX. It's the same way on ipad, you can play less for pro than EX, ít just won't be free.

The fact that it is exclusive for the S7 could be because unlike iPad which have a small selection of spec and screen size, to get CSP run on Android as stable as iPad, they have to design the app around the S7 spec and size. There is nothing stop us to backup the APK and try on another Android, bug and instability could happen.

Also CSP actually have a free version, that is the iPhone version. iPhone user can use CSP for free for a limited time a day (I forgot if 30 min or some hours). I don't know if it would be applicable on the Samsung note phone, as the line between phone and tablet in the Android OS is a lot more blurry than IOS and IpadOS.

4. Marty

Marty Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

They changed it to only 3 months free on iPad now: :(

(Apple App Store)
    "Up to 3 months free!*
    *When purchasing for the first time"

Brad Colbow gave his take @7:50:

saying "if you want good things, you gotta pay for good things", which is a flimsy justification imo. Yes, I'll pay...to buy it like a normal piece of art software.

CSP is popular on Windows precisely because of its affordability and value. Interest in the Android version directly stems from word-of-mouth enthusiasm and frequent sales on PC. Putting up this entry-barrier hurts CSP in the long run, by shutting out a large portion of their potential userbase and preventing the same organic growth.

It pains me, but I can't get behind Celsys here when there are very capable and full-featured alternatives like ArtFlow for just $7.99 (with a great free tier as well :thumbsup:).

Last edited: Aug 7, 2020
  5. darkmagistric

Does Artflow have the ability for layer groups? Photoshop aside (and maybe Affinity Photo), Clip Studio really has no equal, even Procreate is annoyingly inferior given the limitations it imposes.

As much as I hate Celsys's subscription model, at least the $25 yearly subscription model is better then what it initially was priced at after the iPads 6 free month trail ended. I'm kind of surprised they still haven't made that change with the desktop build. Makes you wonder what they'll do for the Mac/Windows on Arm builds (should they get builds).

jedah likes this.
  6. jedah

jedah Pen Pal - Newbie

Technically, I think they actually do have a subscription model for Windows and Mac (https://www.clipstudio.net/en/lineup/). That said, I don't know who in their right mind would opt for this option if they are using Windows or Mac only when you still have the option for one-time payment.

I still think this is huge for Android. It doesn't bother me that it's a Galaxy exclusive as there does not seem to be any other Android tablet nearly as good for drawing. Artflow is awesome, too. But, I think given the choice, many artists would prefer CSP.

As much as I hate the subscription model, I actually caved and got an annual sub for my iPad. I tried to skirt by w/ just Affinity Photo and Procreate, but there were a few annoyances that just made me question why I was hanging onto my $25 for the year so tightly. I will likely cancel it if I end up picking up the next Surface or Samsung device though (or if another manufacturer is able to get the pen right).

7. darkmagistric

I just looked at it, it must be relativity new that they are offering that for Mac and PC.....one slight benefit, that subscription model can cover multiple devices across multiple platforms. The premium plan is for 4 devices, Windows, Mac, iPad, Iphone (and soon Android as well I guess) and its annual/yearly price for that is $53. Given the savings for the annual plan, the monthly plans aren't attractive at all.

So $25 for one device (which all us iPad owners are likely already paying just for the ipad use) $43 for two devices, and then $53 for 4 devices. Its still more expensive then buying it outright for Mac/PC, and Mac/PC users do have no reason to opt for this....but for those of who want to use it on our iPads, and Android Devices, and our laptops/desktops...given the price tier for just iPad and Android, opening up two more devices for Mac/PC is only an extra $10 at that point, so its not too tragic. Still kind of sucky, but $53 a year should be doable, for most of us...multi-platform sort.

8. Marty

I just updated and checked. No layer groups, but I was pleasantly surprised that the app is still receiving regular and frequent updates, so you could try messaging the devs. The fact that they've kept at their app for this long at such a reasonable price is a very good sign imo, that they'll take your feedback vis-à-vis Procreate/CSP to heart. ;)

Actually, it's cheaper than that if you already own the desktop version: :)
    [​IMG]

So $32/4 devices for the PRO version, and $80/4 devices for the EX version.

It's nice of them to offer the discount to existing PC owners, but I'm sad they moved away from the old rent-to-own model they had for the JP version (basically sub until you've paid the full price of the software, then it was yours). :(

It's interesting how many of us have to preface our thoughts like this. I mean why do have to hate something right out the gate, with something we've loved all-along?

It really makes me question if Celsys is not shooting itself in the foot by forcing the sub model. Adobe could swing it because their file formats had already become industry standard, but there is no such market reliance on .clip files. How many potential mobile users are they alienating?

And just at the moment Clip Studio could re-invigorate and become the undisputed leader in the Android art market. Is it really worth it?

9. darkmagistric

it’s simply the matter of the money. I have two Windows Clip Studio licenses...each at the $25 sale price. So $50 for Clip Studio on 4 Windows devices...forever.

I’ve been using iOS Clip Studio for 3 years now...$25 a year....so thus far for me $75 to run ClipStudio on a single iPad...already it’s costing me more money then the desktop version, and at this point it will progressively continue to cost me more money.

Photoshop at least kind of made sense since it made Photoshop affordable. You can get a subscription to just Photoshop CC (which also includes iOS Photoshop) for $9.99 a month..$120 a year, which isn’t that bad once you factor in that prior to CC, a license to own Photoshop CS6 costed in the ballpark of $600ish. Being subscribed to Photoshop CC for 5 years was equivalent to buying the software.

The Subscription model of Clip Studio is literally at the opposite end of that affordability logic.

10. Marty

Ok, but how do they know that this is actually going to make them more money?

If they kept the same pricing as PC, they would have a high conversion rate with existing CSP customers and appeal to new Android users, many of whom would be immediately turned off by a subscription model (especially with affordable alternatives like ArtFlow).

It's not clear to me at all that 'subs only == more revenue'. People are not locked into CSP like with Adobe CC and Office, so rather than increasing revenue, I see people leaving. Or at least interest in mobile CSP flatlining, where they otherwise could have enjoyed rapid adoption and artist praise like on PC.