Clip Studio blurry on multi screen

Discussion in 'Artists' started by ticol, Nov 2, 2019.

1. ticol

ticol Pen Pal - Newbie

Edit : by writing this thread it made me think differently, and I found how to proceed to solve my problems. I wrote it at the end of my message.

Hello,
    I was wondering if anyone has ever had this issue and how it can be solved.
    I use CSP as my main drawing tool. I noticed a strange thing when I use it in a multi screen setting with different settings for the UI scaling.

I like to use a Cintiq Companion or a Galaxy Book as my main computer and plug them either to an external screen, either to my Cintiq 21UX.

Cintiq 21UX is 1200x1600 px and my external screen is Full HD. So I let them at ne native UI scaling : 100%.

On my Cintiq Companion, I like to set the UI scaling at 125%, and 150% for my Galaxy Book to keep readable menus on the small screens.

If I work on CSP on the Companion or Galaxy Book, everything is perfect : clean and sharp.
    If I open a CSP window on my external screen or want to work on CSP on my 21UX : all is a bit blurry. The menus and the drawings. And it's only with CSP.

I tried all the different settings in the Compatibility Menu you get when Right Clicking on the CSP Icon on the desktop. And nothing works as I want.

The only way to get CSP sharp on my external screen (monitor or 21UX) is to set its UI scaling the same as the screen of the main device (Companion or Galaxy Book).

This means I have to choose between :
    - having everything set at 100% and so getting very small menus on my Companion or GalaxyBook
    - having my external device (monitor or 21UX) set as the main device (125 or 150%), and then having more intrusive CSP interface on my big screen.

And this problem makes me wonder how it would work if I tried to plug a 4K device for example.
    I'm looking for a replacement for my Companion and am eyeing the ZBook X2 which seems to be what I want.
    But It's a 4K device. If I plug it to my 21UX, how will I handle my UI scalings with CSP ?

Maybe I'm stupid, but I couldn't find the solution.

Thanks in advance to those who had the same issue and found a solution they'd like to share.

Edit 1 : OK, so I'm partly stupid ! If I set my 21UX as my main monitor I can open CSP on it and scale it as I want. First problem solved :)

Edit 2 : OK, I found a viable solution.
    The main culprit is that when you install CSP, it creates a desktop icon which doesn't launch Clip Studio Paint but Clip Studio Main Board. So, when I tried to change Compatibility settings when right clicking on the icon, I wasn't doing anything on the Clip Studio Paint app.
    I created a shortcut on my desktop for Clip Studio Paint (which can be found in Program Files\Windows\Celcys\Clip Studio\Clip Studio Paint\) and then applied some changes in the Compatibility (Modify PPP parameters then check the last box).

Result : depending on which screen I choose as my Main Screen, CSP launches without being blurry with the UI scale I like. And If I open a second Window on my separate screen to have a full view of my work while working and zooming on my working screen, the second window is clean too. And only this window has title bar scaled as the main screen.

I leave this thread. Maybe it will help someone :)

Last edited: Nov 2, 2019
    thatcomicsguy likes this.
  2. thatcomicsguy

thatcomicsguy Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Things have gotten much better over the years, but still... Fudging around with video driver settings, especially when it comes to multiple screens, brings out the bugs and idiosyncrasies like nothing else in Windows!

Luckily, when you lick it, it tends to stay licked. -Until three years later when you find yourself setting up a new system!

3. ticol

ticol Pen Pal - Newbie

This is exactly what happened to me. Everything went fine, then I decided to change my way of working and discovered my knowledge wasn't that great :)

I'm still trying to figure out the best setup for me, while not having to sell my house to get it.

While I really like the large screen of the 21UX, I find it less pleasant to draw on than the Companion or the Galaxy Book.
    And while I enjoy to have a large surface when I have to set a big scene in portrait orientation, I realise than a smaller screen with higher pixel density fits me well most of the time.
    The external monitor plugged to the small drawing device is great to have for reference images, seeing the whole page I'm working on or other pages to get some visual references of the characters or sets.

I think pixel density is the key.
    This is why I am doing many tries before investing in another drawing device. I want it to be working well with the rest of my setup.

And to add to my intensive thinking, I move a lot (for work or with family) and spare my classical week work between a rented space in a coworking space and my home studio.
    So I need tools that are comfortable to work on many hours a day, and that I can still use while on the go.

Today I have my 21UX at home (that I often use as an external monitor) and an external monitor in my coworking place. And I move the Cintiq Companion between the 2 places.
    The GalaxyBook sees more use when I have to leave my house for several days. The screen could be a bit bigger, but really, with its pixel density, it's an incredible device. And very light in a back pack to carry it with me without feeling it.

thatcomicsguy likes this.
  4. thatcomicsguy

thatcomicsguy Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

I didn't realize how good and reliable the 21UX was until I upgraded to my Dell Canvas.

Yeah, it had no touch interface. Yeah, it was very low resolution (95 ppi). Yeah, the material science hadn't heard of things like "ground glass displays" and there was a huge air gap between the point of your stylus and the actual cursor. And yeah, it was thick and dim. But paired with the right driver, (there were many to choose from), it drew an impeccable, reliable line. (MUCH better than the Dell Canvas.)

On occasion, I consider picking up a used 21UX again. I drew faster on that thing.

5. ticol

ticol Pen Pal - Newbie

Yes, this is a really good device. And the air gap between pen and the cursor is forgotten very fast.
    Mine is almost 10 years old and was used during litteraly thousands of hours. The only repair I had to do was to replace the DVI cable. It didn't aged well and the screen was filled with green pixels.

The real game changer in term of specification would be the Cintiq Pro 24. It doubles the pixel density while keeping the same height than the 21UX.
    Even the 27QHD doesn't have a pixel density that different from the 21UX one (108 ppi vs 95 ppi).

I'd really like to give try to the 24 pro. Touch + ability to see portrait mode illustrations with good resolution at A4 size must be great.