Cleaning the EP121 screen

Discussion in 'EP121 Slate' started by dbrn, Apr 8, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dbrn

dbrn Scribbler - Standard Member

Has anyone found a safe and effective liquid /spray cleaner for this tablet? The cloth is fine, but some smudges really need more.

2. JustDavid

JustDavid ASUS EP121 Slate user

I have some lense cleaning spray and towels from my local Pearle Vision/Sears Optical. I never spray liquid on the screen, always spray the towels with a few squirts and wipe the screen clean.

3. dbrn

Thanks Just. I was thinking the same thing, but wanted some confirmation I wouldn't ruin the screen!

4. JustDavid

JustDavid ASUS EP121 Slate user

Glad I could help.

5. Scootty83

Scootty83 Pen Pal - Newbie

I don't have my EP121 yet, but for any of my electronics (phone, old laptop, wife's laptop, etc) I just wet some soft paper towels with some warm water and wipe the screen, then get a dry soft paper towel to dry it. Works really well. If you need to get some really greasy fingerprints off, do the same thing with a LITTLE drop of dish soap first, then just water, then dry. Avoid using products that contain ammonia (Windex) as this can remove anti-glare coatings some electronics screens might have.

6. jinnijinn

jinnijinn Pen Pal - Newbie

Windex sprayed on a soft cloth...not sprayed on the screen.

7. Pete in Hyder

Pete in Hyder Z160 1984 $2800 33# My1st

I spray windex on the screen all the time. No bit deal. This is glass! and I usually keep it in the folio so the bezel edge is covered. I only spray a couple spots near the middle, one on each end. Then I use a use a microfiber towel that is perfect. NEVER use paper towels. I have worn glasses for more than 50 years and can tell you that paper towels sometimes contain and often retain abrasive materials that will scratch glass. Since the ep screen is not coated with any antiglare coating I don't see how windex could hurt.

8. nnthemperor

nnthemperor Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

why not get the fingerprint resistant screen protective film and worry less about cleaning the screen every time

9. dbrn

In mail as we speak :)

10. Agent 9

Agent 9 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I would say avoid any kind of cleaning chemicals (especially Windex!) as they really will eat away at your screen's outermost layer (sure the EP121 has a gorilla glass screen front, but it is not the top-most layer. The glass has the touch layer/ grid 'fused' on top of it, and that layer only has a thin protective layer on top of it -the only true 'glass fronted' screens are the ones that are Pen only, like the HP 2730p, or the pen only Lenovo X220t)

using a microfiber cloth, and at most clean water (or screen cleaning solution that is meant for TV's or computer screens -which is basically just water); anything but that will start damaging your screen slowly but surely

and yes, a screen protector is the way to go (mine has saved my screen from a few accidents and hazards... erm my friends, lol)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.