Clean Refresh of an older puter

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by dceggert, Oct 7, 2018.

1. dceggert

dceggert Owner of a TabletPC Museum Senior Member

I have started playing with one of my old tabletpc's and it only has 64GB of SSD. With nearly everything removed there is 2GB of space left. The Win 10 update was installed when it was free but it is all plugged up with who knows what.

The recovery partition has the original load with 8.1 and all the drivers and preloaded and driver update software.

How do I refresh this thing and end up with the latest version of 10, the system drivers, and 20GB of space to put Office back on it?

Please don't tell me I have to refresh 10 and then manually load all the drivers...what a pain.

2. tcassidy

tcassidy Pen Pal - Newbie

Have you done a "Clean up System files"? That often can release up to 8 G by removing old Windows installation files.

Terry

3. dceggert

Actually, yes I did. I was able to 'remove old Windows versions' and clean up about 6 GB of space. I am good for now.

MS updated this thing with an over the air download. It seems rather shortsighted that it can not be refreshed and keep the Win 10. There must be a way.

4. ORTOX

ORTOX Pen Pal - Newbie

There definitely is a way. Open up the Settings menu, go to the Update & Security menu, click on the Recovery option on the left, and you will see at the top "Reset this PC". Click on the get started option.

You can choose to reset and leave your user data intact, or reset the PC wiping everything.

Here's a link to a detailed guide:

https://www.howtogeek.com/132428/ev...t-refreshing-and-resetting-your-windows-8-pc/

5. dceggert

Thanks, but will that not restore it back to the original Win 8.1 that shipped with it? I did the 'one time free' update to 10 over the air and don't really want to go back to 8.1.

6. ORTOX

ORTOX Pen Pal - Newbie

Nope! It will stay on Windows 10.