Clean install Windows into your ATIV Smart PC 500T.

Discussion in 'Samsung' started by amdhunter, Jan 4, 2013.

1. beckyb

beckyb Scribbler - Standard Member

Ok, I have managed to mess up my Ativ 500T. When I tried a normal restore, it couldn't seem to find the recovery partition and was asking for the recovery media to be attached. I had a Windows 8 Pro iso disk, so I used that, and now I have the base Win 8 system, but no drivers, so touch, wifi, etc... are not working. Does anyone have a link to at least the wifi driver for this. I think if I get that installed, I should be able to download the SWUpdate and run it.

2. Deathangel

Deathangel Scribbler - Standard Member

Do you know what wifi card is in the 500? I haven't seen any reference when I looked online. Look at the device manager and maybe input one of the strings there in google, that usually gives you the right name. :)

3. beckyb

Well, I just used the Chipset driver from the Envy X2, and now I have touch back, so that's good. I tried the Broadcom wireless driver from HP also, and although it seemed to load and work, it is showing no networks available even though my other laptops are working fine.

Can someone check in device manager on their working 500t and see what wireless adapter it shows?

4. Rommie2k6

Rommie2k6 Scribbler - Standard Member

Does anyone know how to fix the 2 missing devices, I've tried the recommendations on the other post, and it's still not working. I'm also getting significantly reduced battery life, and my Windows Update doesn't seem to download anything....

5. hp79

hp79 Scribbler - Standard Member

The wifi driver, or at least the manufacturer is Broadcom as I said in my previous post.

Since I have the driver in my hdd (back from when I was preparing the integration), here it is.

edit: While at it, I'll be real nice. Here's all the drivers that I integrated excluding bluetooth and graphics. Bluetooth and intel graphics needs to be installed separately, after Windows 8 install.

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  6. beckyb

Thanks! Tried that one, and it's still not working right. I returned the unit. I had bought it from Walmart, and the box had been opened. Don't know what the previous user did to it, but the restore partition was not being recognized, and it had other issues too. I'm going to look into the 700t.

7. Rommie2k6

Isn't anyone seeing a serious power drain? I did another clean install, and I still lost 40% battery overnight in sleep mode.

What version of Windows 8 are you guys using to reinstall the OS? Also, what is the version of the chipset and wifi you are using?

Last edited: Mar 19, 2013
  8. valtchov

valtchov Pen Pal - Newbie

To re-partition/re-install I followed the instruction in teh 1st post of this thread to create media of Win8 Std. The install went like this:

1. Install win8 from media
    2. Install kb2756872 (downloaded and saved to media)
    3. Install chipset (William) driver package (run Inst application in folder), reboot
    4. Install Wacom driver, rebot
    5. Install Nuvoton spb, Atmel fw, and the rest of the drivers. I was generally paranoid and rebooted after each install.
    6. Install kb2768703 to fix netflix playback (secure content)

Note that if you re-partition the mmc (like I did to get more space) you will lose the functionality of the recovery menu (power btn + vol-up). The only option after that is to use F10 while powering app to access the bios or boot from media (usb).

I did this last night, machine is running better than ever and super smooth. No unknown devices, not BSOD, no errors in the windows log. The only thing to note is that the William driver pkg installs a single "balanced" power plan that does not have very many options in it. Have not figured out how to recover the samsung PP or the performance PP.

V

ZapDus likes this.
  9. Rommie2k6

Ok thanks, I will try that. The only difference I did was kb2756872 was installed as a Windows Update after I installed the drivers. Not sure if that's causing the problem drain, but we'll see...

I also just reinstalled Windows 8 and reinstalled the chipset (William) driver alone, with nothing else. Battery drain of over 10% in 1hr....

10. Rommie2k6

The instructions that valtchov has posted works perfectly. I think the major thing to note is that kb2756872 has to be installed before any drivers. As of now, I have tested battery drain and I'm seeing hardly 1% for 2hr of sleep even with wifi on. The only thing I haven't installed is the bluetooth driver, which I will eventually. Hopefully that will be the end of the battery problems.

Damn you Samsung for not providing this information!