Clean install Windows into your ATIV Smart PC 500T.

Discussion in 'Samsung' started by amdhunter, Jan 4, 2013.

1. amdhunter

amdhunter Pen Pal - Newbie

This does work, but I was left with 2 devices in device manager that were unknown but might be fixable as seen in this thread. Unfortunately, I couldn't figure it out.
    I will attempt to reload the OS again sometime late tomorrow.

What you'll need (You will need a USB hub if you do not have a keyboard attached to your tablet.)

1) 4GB USB drive (bigger ones may work, I don't have a spare drive to test right now.)
    2) Windows 8 (x86) DVD, or Windows 8 iso + Daemon tools Lite (or whatever you want to mount image) Windows 7 is a no-go.
    3) HIGHLY RECOMMENDED: Use Samsung SW Update to save all of the drivers beforehand, so you don't have to download it later.
    4) Recommended: Create bootable OEM recovery USB Drive. See JDTagish's post (#42) in this thread.

What to do:

1) Put USB Stick into your computer and prepare to partition it manually. Only type the bold commands.
    • Open Command Prompt as Administrator
    • type diskpart
    • type list disk
    • type select disk *number of usb disk* (example: select disk 2) BE CAREFUL HERE, CHOOSE YOUR USB DRIVE.
    • type clean
    • type create partition primary
    • type select partition 1
    • type active
    • type format quick fs=fat32
    • type assign
    • type exit

2) Put your Windows 8 DVD in your CD Drive, or Mount the image. Take note of your USB and DVD drive letters.
    • Open Command Prompt as Administrator
    • type xcopy E:\* F:\ /e where E is your DVD and F is your USB drive.
    • Wait a bit for files to copy.
    • When done, just exit out and safely eject the USB stick.

3) Turn off your 500T
    • Stick the USB stick in.
    • Hold Volume Up and power on your tablet.
    • Choose Use a Device
    • You'll see your newly created USB Stick.
    • Click that button, and enjoy installing Windows.

Have fun. I take no credit for this since all this info is pretty much available in Google everywhere. :)

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
    NYBY15 likes this.
  2. amdhunter

I haven't gone through with the installation myself yet. I am going to copy all of my drivers from the Samsung updater thingy first, then immediately wipe this device. Look out for my post later tonight.
    I'm also going to attempt a Windows 7 installation just for spits and giggles.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2013
  3. tigerfromsiberia

tigerfromsiberia Pen Pal - Newbie

Thanks. I installed w8pro on mine last month using similar method and it worked fine. But installation was much slower compared to my laptop.

4. amdhunter

I'm making a Windows 7 install now. I dislike (not hate) Windows 8, so I'd rather give 7 a shot first. :)
    Codecs for my anime just work so much better in Windows 7. Hopefully it works.

5. amdhunter

I was not able to start the installation because touch does NOT work in the setup process. I do NOT have a USB hub to test either. Anyone feeling brave and want to go at it?

6. tigerfromsiberia

tigerfromsiberia Pen Pal - Newbie

I used an external mouse and keyboard (both logitech wireless through the unifying receiver) during the installation.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2013
  7. amdhunter

Did you have trouble with unknown devices in device manager? Low power DMA and something uart or something? I couldn't figure it out, it kept saying a newer version was installed and didn't do anything. :(

I'm currently restoring the tablet with the factory Samsung image. *sigh*

Same thing as in this thread: http://forum.tabletpcreview.com/samsung/54364-dma-intel-uart-what-samsung-ativ.html

8. e-schreiber

e-schreiber ƒ(x) / fashion Senior Member

So did you ever try the Win7 installation? You mentioned the UART problem.... Did manifest itself during the clean Win7 or the clean Win8 install? I think Win7 installs will always fail on Clover Trails because neither Intel nor Microsoft supports that CPU.

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  9. zebster

zebster Pen Pal - Newbie

Please specify which card did you use, I still can't get this to work...

10. zebster

zebster Pen Pal - Newbie

I guess i made it but, it's almost the same that running setup from windows.

The "Use device" doesn't appear, instead i choosed "Use command prompt" and runned setup from there. I stopped some steps ahead.
    I think that will do in case i need it.